ibs-d or c diff again

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Jimmy34
Contributor

ibs-d or c diff again

Postby Jimmy34 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:57 am

Hello all,
I've been c diff free for the last 4 months. But I have had bouts with what I thought was ibs-d eversince. The last four days may be telling me it's something more. It started Thursday afternoon with watery bowel movements 2. And into Friday with I believe 6. Saturday 1 and then an unprocessed movement. Sunday none. And this morning it reminded me of the kind of movement that I would have while on antibiotics. I have been weak all weekend no appetite and dehydrated pretty much the entire time. I've been drinking tons of water, Gatorade, and two things of Pedialyte. Still taking floraster. But not the vsl3 because money is tight. I don't know what is going on. Does this sound like ibs-d? Or should I go to the ER? My anxiety is through the roof with this.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: ibs-d or c diff again

Postby NanciT » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:57 am

Hi Jimmy

First, sorry you are going through this, the one thing I want you to watch for is dehydration, that is what led me to the ER many times during CDIFF and after once when I had thought it was back. Be careful with the electrolyte intake, the pedialyte is good but also drink "smart water" which also has electrolytes.
Be cautious with the weakness and if it feels extreme, do go to the ER if the D continues at a fast rate.
At four months Post CDIFF, it is possible but my thought is not likely it has returned unless you have had some exposure or been on an antibiotic.
Listen to your body, I always say go with caution when it comes to dehydration.
Hope you feel better soon
NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:08 pm

NancyT is right.Listen to your body,and keep,did rated. Have not tried smart water but intend to try it. Some use Gatorade,and some use Pedilite - originally for children but expensive and nasty tasting. I just googled Gatorade as thought it was too sugary for diabetics but it is evidently OK.

See CDI-'Dehydration.

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:11 am

Went to er. They gave me an iv. And did blood work. They said that the lab results showed my blood work was normal. And that they didn't show that I was fighting off any infections. So maybe it was ibs-d. And with my anxiety made it worse. I am praying that is all that it was. Thank you for your reply. I am applying to a support group today for my anxiety. C diff has turned my life upside down. I pray that you are all still making positive strides in recovery. God bless you.

tessa63
Regular Contributor

Postby tessa63 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:33 am

Jimmy

Have you tried Enteragam?

T

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:05 am

No I have never heard of it. What is it for?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:12 am

I always had normal bloodwork even though i had active infection. If you are having D , doctors should test your stool , not your blood. Glad you got iv for dehydration , be sure to drink plenty of liquids at home too , smart water or coconut water both are high in electrolytes and don't have sugar.
Turning your life upside down is what Cdiff does . It made me a anxious - depressed wreak. Ah , the joys of CDiff!!!

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:25 am

Well I haven't had anymore watery bowel movements. And ive been eating some. So wouldn't that rule out the c diff? Haven't had a bm since Monday morning actually. Still gonna request getting the sample taken. Have a follow up with my doctor tomorrow at 9am.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:31 am

That is great news, Jimmy. If things are improving, it very well could just be IBS-D. Enteragram is a medical food that is through prescription only. It can be helpful with IBS-D. You should discuss it with your doctor. When I was having bouts of IBS, my GI recommended an over the counter dietary supplement called IB-Gard. It is supposed to help with IBS-D as well. I fortunately never had to take it as my IBS had subsided. There are a couple of posters on here who have tried it. It is made with peppermint oil. You can also discuss this with your doctor and see if it could be of help to you.

Anxiety is something that c-diff leaves us all with. It is great that you are going to get help with controlling it. The anxiety will just make any GI issues worse. If things get worse, I do agree with Georgina, to test the stool. However, it does sound like this bout is subsiding.

Feel better,
Lisa

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:05 pm

If your Dr follows correct guidelines he should NOT order a stool test.
Even if he does, a lab that follows the correct guidelines will refuse to run the test on a formed sample.
If the test is done and it comes back positive you then have to decide if your going to ignore all the c.diff experts advice not to treat asymptomatic c.diff and run the risk of hitting the c.diff relapse button.

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:42 pm

I did have a pretty solid bm this morning. With no nausea or dizziness like I had with cdiff or while I was on antibiotics. As well as about a month after completing the antibiotics. Seems to be improving. I had a bit of an appetite. Ate some chicken soup a few hours ago. And no bm. Still some discomfort in my stomach. But nothing major. Could also be my anxiety as well. I am on an anxiety medicine. But the doctors say it still needs more time to begin working.

Lisa I will check those meds out and ask my doctor tomorrow about them. Thank you!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:05 pm

Sounds like your well on the way to recovery.
Dr's are instructed not to test to prove a cure (some Dr's never read that far into the guidelines and cause their patients harm).
Your solid BMs are the proof that at this time you don't have active c.diff.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:37 pm

Agree with Roy. If not liquid definitely sounds like IBS. Sometimes the anxiety makes it very hard to tell but it would not have let up. I have been suffering with it forever. After c diff some bouts became unbelievable. I took Enteragam for 11 months and it helped a lot.
Rita

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:24 pm

I'd guess you caught a GI virus since you got dehydrated. The time frame is correct and GI viruses won't change your blood count either. I believe diverticulitis makes WBC spike? Oddly enough, my WBC were normal when I had active C diff, so that test won't rule out C diff.

But the return to solid BM does rule out C diff, at least according to every doctor I have asked. Glad you are feeling better :). GI bugs are the worst.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:47 am

Glad you are seeing improvement. It seems it was a IBS flare , the road to recovery is a bumpy one , and you will experience more days like that in the future. Stick to the three day rule. If you are having multiple bouts of D more then three days , it's time to call the doctor , and ask for a stool test.
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”