ibs-d or c diff again

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Jimmy34
Contributor

Re: ibs-d or c diff again

Postby Jimmy34 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:17 pm

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I went to pick up my prescription of enteragram. And they said my insurance doesn't cover it. And it's $700 per 30 pack. No way im paying that. Is there anything else that I can try? Or recommend to see if my insurance covers? Even maybe something over the counter?

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:45 pm

Colestipol tablets or questran powder that you mix with a liquid and drink. My Colestipol copay is $4 for a 90 day supply.

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:09 pm

My insurance doesn't cover that either. Didn't ask how much without. I'll just have to try to correct it with my diet and time. Thank you for the help and advice everyone. Really do appreciate it.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:17 pm

I have not yet used this service but I believe others here have and can comment. The company that makes Enteragam maintains their own pharmacy and apparently if you go through this pharmacy the cost without insurance is much more reasonable. I got some free sample boxes from my GI doctor initially but if/when I need more I will try getting it through this service.
http://enteragam.com/hub/personalized-p ... -services/

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:58 pm

I know colestipol is cheap because I got it filled on vacation once. Maybe $20 for a big bottle? I think Walgreens and maybe Target have a prescription plan you can get and then generic prescriptions are only $4 each or something? Generic pepto bismol is cheap too.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:05 pm

Questran is probably cheap as well.
It's an old med given for reducing cholesterol.

Weigh the cost of the meds against the time off work if your sick.
Also appeal the insurance decision.
Remind them of the cost of another course of meds or treating a complication such as mega colon that requires surgery.
That's not going to happen but it focuses the insurance company's mind into paying for these cheaper meds

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:10 pm

Jimmy, 2 things re: Enteragam
First, my insurance denied it initially and my dr filed an appeal twice. They finally approved it.
And Grandma is correct about 2 things. First, my GI dr gave me a sample box to try. It was 1 months supply.
And second, you don't get it through a local pharmacy. Get it through their own pharmacy called Foundation Care. It is hugely discounted with or without insurance. I paid $45/month with insurance for 1 or 2 boxes and without insurance it was going to cost $49/month for 1 box.
They also usually have a coupon either in your dr's office or on line for more discounts as long as you are not on Medicare.

Rita

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:47 pm

Thank you guys. You all are awesome. I will look into this. I am having all kinds of issues with my insurance right now. Not happy with them at all at the moment.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”