Comprehensive stool results...

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
jjglad
Regular Contributor

Comprehensive stool results...

Postby jjglad » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:33 am

Ok, so over a month ago my GI NP had me submit a comprehensive stool test to Genova labs. Finally yesterday, I heard back from them and apparently the "fecal cal protectin" which shows how much inflammation there is in the gut came back VERY high. They want to retest this in the near future as a regular lab can retest this. My concern is that they are saying this means there is still a lot of inflammation in my system and they are wondering if I could have UC or Crohns even though my IBD panel came back negative a while ago.

Any thoughts on whether this could be high just because I fought CDiff for 4-5 months and it is going to take a long time for everything to heal and inflammation to settle down OR could it really be an IBD issue or residual CDiff remaining?

They want me to retest and see where we are now since this result is from weeks ago. And then if the inflammation number has not come down they want me to have a colonoscopy done at the hospital in case he sees residual CDiff and can do a fecal transplant while we are at it...
Honestly, I have been feeling pretty good on 2 Levsin a day and eating better and not losing anymore weight! Do I really want to upset the apple cart if what i am currently doing is working?
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated...
Thank you!!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Comprehensive stool results...

Postby NanciT » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:35 am

Hello JJ

Glad to hear you are feeling better and the Levsin is working for you.

The difficulty about these tests is they can show inflammation but not lead us to any real answers and the MD is lead to actually viewing(via colonoscopy) to make sure nothing else is going on.
I considered going through that same panel, but my GI felt post CDIFF it could be thrown off a great deal considering I was on Vanco and then DIfficid for a total of 10 months.

Maybe talk more to your GI, you mentioned the nurse but I would review with the GI myself. Can you get an appt to review?
I understand your concern about the Colonoscopy, my GI told me last week due to abdominal pain that comes and goes she thinks I should have one. I finally feel my GI system is getting back to normal and I am reluctant to throw everything off with a Prep.
It's a difficult choice to make, speak with the GI you may feel more confident about your choice.

Take Care
NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:32 am

Personaly my outlook is "if it ain't broke don't mend it!"

The problem with having in depth tests is its almost certain to show up some sort of abnormality that a Dr wants to investigate.
I have said this a few times recently.
"Treat the patient not the test"

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:40 pm

One thing about Genova that I have found is that they are not always accurate. A couple of years ago my report from them said I had some kind of parasite (can't remember which one). So, I retested at a hospital lab and they found none. Then I tested at Quest - None - Lab Corp - none. If I were you I would repeat the cal protectin test at a regular lab and see if the numbers vary a great deal. If it is not that high, then at least it would give you piece of mind. I think IBS can make that test high too, not just IBD. If you are feeling well, I would not worry about it, and I personally, probably would not have a colonoscopy at this point. If you had residual c diff, you would know it. And if you are not having symptoms, then even if there is residual, it is not creating any harm. So, like Roy said, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Also, I don't know how good a marker the cal protectin test is. I can remember one poster who had that test done on a sample in the morning and then she got a c diff relapse that same day later, confirmed by a test. In a few days the cal protectin came back normal - so what was the point? In her case, it really wasn't accurate. She had to treat for c diff anyway because it was a full blown infection again.

gwang
Regular Contributor

Postby gwang » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:17 pm

That's interesting, I've done 2 fecal calprotections.

Once when I had active c-diff, which came back normal.

Another after c-diff was cleared which came back normal.

I know cal protection is used routinely to differentiate between IBS and IBD.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:51 pm

I still am not sure why anyone has this done unless they want to rule something out and it is still risky.
If you have symptoms and get a positive back for IBD you still need a colonoscopy to confirm so have really proven nothing.
If you have no symptoms and get a positive you are left with a dilemma about what to do with this possible false positive.
I guess I am saying the same as Roy- treat the patient based on symptoms, not a lab screening test. To my mind, this especially is not accurate or conclusive enough for anything.
Rita

Return to “Free Form Discussion”