Spores

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Dona Donato
New User

Spores

Postby Dona Donato » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:19 pm

I was told that once you get c diff you alway have the spores that the spores stay with you for life.Does anyone know if this is true? Dona

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:59 pm

Dona,
Read Dr. Borody's article. Yes, the spores can stay with you for life but not necessarily cause further problems. This is why it's important to stay away from antibiotics in the future after you have C. diff. -- unless absolutely necessary.

Many bacteria produce spores. Ask your doc. as I'm not in the med. field.

Dona Donato
New User

To Bobbie

Postby Dona Donato » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:30 pm

Once again thanks Bobbie.

Susanne
Contributor

Postby Susanne » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:58 pm

I am so far from a biologist, Dona, and this subject perplexes me, too! The way the Epidiomiologist explained it to me was...something to the effect that when the c.diff is in it's bacteria state it can be killed by the vancomycin. If, however, it senses the vancomycin and has the time it will change back into it's spore state and stay there until the vancomycin is gone (or enough good flora has returned). She said this is why we can't tell if an individual still has the c.diff remaining, even after being "cured." I'm probably not saying this right! I hope this helps!
This too shall pass!

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:55 am

Thanks susanne that helps and makes sense. I think soon as the diareah or loose stools return our doctors should put us back on the vanco at a high dose to kill it again.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”