White tongue anyone?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
ramu
Regular User

White tongue anyone?

Postby ramu » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:00 pm

So, I've had a few bouts of C diff, and just got off vanco 13 days ago. But when I got this, my tongue turned white. Its been like this since about January and is a mess. Have any of you had a white tongue along with your C diff? Thanks, Jonathan.

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Re: White tongue anyone?

Postby iamsick » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:58 pm

You might have Oral Thrush. I got it while taking Vanco for my cdiff treatment. It went away on it's own for me. You can read up on it on WebMD.
Teresa_68

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:18 am

My mother had oral thrush as well and she used Nystatin as a mouth rinse that worked pretty well. Another time she was given Diflucan. I got a white tongue when I had c difficile as well, but it was not thrush. It was caused by the dysbyosis, or predominance of bad vs good bacteria. It finally did go away on its own. Probiotics sometimes help too.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:38 am

I had white furry tongue from Metronidazole . What helped me to clear up the trush was rinsing my mouth with bicarbonate water and Nystatin and the probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:09 am

I had the white tongue after taking Flagyl. I used Milk of Magnesia...the pharmacist told me to use it as a mouthwash. I also used the Nystatin mouthwash prescribed by my doctor. I don't know what worked but it eventually went away :)

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:47 am

If you've had it as long as January, you may want to get a script for Diflucan. That's what worked for me when I had this problem after taking Flagyl and Vanco.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

ramu
Regular User

Postby ramu » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I don't feel so alone. My tongue kind of burns, but I am seeing a throat, nose, ear doctor and she says its not thrush and don't bother with nystatin. My guess is the disbiosis. She didn't prescribe anything, but suggested I stop brushing my tongue as that is aggravating it as well. Interesting how common this is. Is diflucan an antibiotic?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:01 pm

Diflucan is described as an antifungal antibiotic online. I doubt that it would raise the risk of C. diff since it is specifically prescribed for people who have thrush due to antibiotics used to treat C. diff. However, you say it's not thrush (?). Best to check with your doctor about what to take.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Nikkikik
Brand New Poster

Postby Nikkikik » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:41 pm

I've had oral thrush twice sing diagnosis. I thought I had it a third time, because my tongue looked white - saw the ear nose and throat doctor, and was told the health flora was killed in my mouth

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:43 pm

Niki
That's why you get thrush.
It's the healthy flora that stops it!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”