Wish me luck on retesting

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Wish me luck on retesting

Postby Cm1619 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:24 am

So I've been about a little over a month c diff free from a round of Flagyl. Thought I was a lucky one-hoping I still am. Had a lot of loose stools and nausea for the past few days and just feeling really off. My doctor ordered me another stool test and I'm going to pick it up after my daughter wakes up from her nap. I am terrified. The stool looks just as it did when I had the c diff but this time I have no pain or cramping. I ate terrible over the weekend as it was my daughters first birthday party. I had a lot going on so I neglected to take my probiotics. I had a small amount of cheese and some of her chocolate cake. I truly hope it's just IBS but would you really feel run down and tired from IBS? I'll update my results when I get them in a few days. I'm NOT taking Flagyl this time around if it ends up being positive.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Wish me luck on retesting

Postby Lisa33 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:29 am

So sorry you aren't feeling well. IBS can present itself very similarly to a relapse, so don't lose hope that the c-diff is back. The food may have triggered it. I will pray that the test comes back negative for you. If God forbid it's back, go with vanco or dificid. I agree with you not to take the Flagyl again.

Let us know how it goes. Prayers for a negative test!
Lisa

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue May 17, 2016 1:50 pm

Treat the patient not the test!
Even if the test is positive look at it alongside your symptoms.
If symptoms are not watery D 3+ times a day then a good Dr would not treat.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Thank you Roy and Lisa! I am hoping it's just IBS from my diet and nerves....there are a lot of changes in our house at the moment so it makes sense. I had loose(not watery) stools about 5-7 times the past few mornings. When I had c diff I never had water D, just loose, that's why I was worried today :( The weather is awful where I live(DC area) so I may grab the test in the morning especially since the bathroom issues have slowed down now that it's the afternoon. A lot of you have mentioned medicine for IBS which I might mention to my doctor. Pretty sure I had it even before the IBS. The only thing that ever really regulated me was pregnancy, oddly enough. The thing that most worries me is the way I feel like I have an infection-run down, tired and achy. No fever though. I stuck to the BRAT diet today so if it really is IBS I'm assuming it should slow down by tomorrow.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue May 17, 2016 4:55 pm

More like a week or two before the bland diet takes effect and slows your gut down!
I think the key is your only rough in the morning.
MOST posters say the same.
Your gut is empty because of sleeping.
It makes sense that an empty gut is an unhappy one
Several small meals a day about 4 hours apart and set an alarm so you can snack at least once during the night might help.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue May 17, 2016 10:30 pm

Ask your doctor, but mine have told me if Pepto Bismol works it's not a serious infection so I don't need to test. I've used pepto several times and the stuff is magic.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue May 17, 2016 11:04 pm

Don't feel guilty for wanting to test. If it's negative you will be very relieved and can start using colestipol or questran and attack the IBS. If it is positive, I failed to clear the infection with flagyl twice but a single course of vanco fixed me. I relapsed after a scope, single course of vanco fixed me again. Then I found Dr Miner who diagnosed my mast cell activation issue and I am no longer a frequent doctor visitor. It hit me when I had to go in for some blood work/physical exam one day and she scolded me for not having a mammogram in 2 years that I would never have made it 2 months without being in there before. Very weird, like running into a long lost relative or something.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Wed May 18, 2016 10:37 am

I'll have to give the pepto a try! I submitted my sample this morning. My nerves are on fire. I'm extremely nervous and maybe even sick from that. My doctor is calling me at lunch time to discuss my anxiety and if there's anything we can do. I've been to the bathroom 5-6 times already with loose, light and airy stools just like how I had when I had c diff. I'm almost certain it's back. I just don't have the extreme fatigue or cramping this time so maybe there's hope that it's just IBS since I have such high anxiety right now. I wonder why it is so stressful thinking of a relapse. I am definitely asking for Vanco this time around thanks to all of you!!! Thank you so much for your replies!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed May 18, 2016 10:47 am

Intestinal inflammation definitely sets off anxiety. Xanax helps a lot, and it is also very effective at stopping cramping too. I'm glad you have a caring doctor who ordered the test for you and wants to help with anxiety too.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:03 pm

Feeling anxious is completely normal, especially at the possibility of a relapse. The anxiety does subside, as you get further and further out in recovery. If the anxiety is debilitating, then an anti-anxiety med may be helpful. But just be cautious as anti-anxiety meds taken for a long period of time, have their own set of issues when you stop them. But I totally understand that they may be warranted at times, as I have taken them in past years as well. But please find comfort in that your feelings are totally normal and have been shared by all of us on this site.

Praying for a negative test for you,
Lisa

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed May 18, 2016 5:55 pm

Certainly can't diagnose and you'll know soon enough but hopefully you are negative. It sounds a lot like IBS. To this day, I can go many times in the morning and then my gut eventually settles down. If it is IBS, questran is not used much anymore but a medical food, Enteragam, is used for IBS-D even if not post c diff, but especially helpful post c diff so you can ask your dr about that.
Chocolate cake and cheese would have been the kiss of death for me in recovery ( even now sometimes). I could not tolerate the sugar and dairy (even with lactaid pills) and certainly not chocolate. Anxiety fuels IBS and everyone understands the fear of relapse.
Here's hoping....
Rita

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Wed May 18, 2016 9:14 pm

Thank you all for your words and support. My husband thought I was nuts for joining a c diff group but he sure thinks differently now! Because of this group I've discovered that my facial gel had an antibiotic. Because of this group I found out about post c diff IBS. Why do I even have a doctor ;)

Rita- what was I thinking eating chocolate cake??? I have been tolerating new foods just fine since I've been introducing things but starting over from square one since the cake incident. The worst part is the center of the cake was pudding. Yea, not my proudest moment. No moe loose stools for the day but the morning will be the real test. I submitted my sample this morning and my doctor said she'll get back to me either later this week or Monday about the results. Now to sit and wait and hope my bland diet kicks in. Back to losing weight I suppose.

My doctor wants to put me on Zoloft lowest dose and see if that helps my anxiety. I am limited to what I can take since I am still breastfeeding my daughter. Bummer but will give the meds a try. Might help with my appetite and weight gain. I was 116 pounds before I got pregnant with my daughter and am now 104!!! I suppose the weight gain is a slow process?

Thank you again to everyone that took the time to respond to my post.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 18, 2016 10:56 pm

CM, Do not beat yourself up about eating chocolate. We have all done things we regret. Would you have been so hard on yourself before c diff? NOT?

C diff is hard on us physically, mentally and financially. Glad you got some temporary help.

One day at a time!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed May 18, 2016 11:01 pm

CM

I agree with Bobbie, give it time. We all take that step with eating, and we must do it and yes....I have had those regrets but start all over again. I actually think it's the only way to really get things back in line, taking the chances. What I try to do is very small amounts....it has helped and if I have an "off" day it's not too severe.
Try the medication the MD recommends, this illness causes so much stress for everyone and it's best to give things a try...it might help.
Take Care
NanciT
PS My husband did not understand this board either, one night I got him on here to read some posts....he suddenly saw CDIFF as it really is.......it might help!!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu May 19, 2016 12:50 am

Zoloft is not a good drug for IBS-D sufferers , the main side effect of this antidepressant is diarrhea , almost all SSRI can give fast intestinal transit so I would be careful with those.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”