small world

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Acres
Regular Contributor

small world

Postby Acres » Sun May 15, 2016 5:12 am

I was at a birthday party last night and several people who have not seen me recently approached and were concerned about my obvious weight loss....I told them my c.diff story (mild rated version) and to my surprise 2 of them had the illness as well.
Then we found a corner in the room and went into our graphic stories, also sharing information on supplements, probiotics, diet etc...A verbal version of this support group. They are both 100% ok. It was good to see and hear.
I fed off their success stories for my general attitude which has been good anyway, but I will take as much positive reinforcement as I can steal.....
Scott

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Re: small world

Postby Ismaila » Sun May 15, 2016 8:56 am

Small world it is Scott. My good friend from work has had a horrible sinus problem since January. The same idiot who gave me Clindamycin ( and I call him that because he gave it to me without ever testing if I had bacterial infection), gave her long doses of antibiotics that resolved nothing. I did not know this in details, but now I do. So she changes the doctor, and the new one gave her Omnicef. Since she knows my story, she came to me to ask me about it, and I said I would not use it, unless medically proven that there is nothing else on Earth to help me! She thought I was seriously paranoid.

She started using it a week ago. Went to NY on Friday, ended up in a local ER Friday night for the severe symptoms. They tested her, she is positive for C Diff. Seriously, what were the chances? But, obviously, the chances are great when you take a long course of antibiotics!

She is otherwise completely healthy, in her early forties.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:28 pm

I have run across people who had it or whose relatives had it. It seems to be getting more prevalent in the community.

momof327
New User

Postby momof327 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:43 pm

I too spoke to a good friend about it recently and she told me her sister had it. It does seem to be getting more prevalent. I just wish it would be in the news and media more so people could get a heads up on the serious turn for the worse this cdiff has taken. It baffles me as to why it's not being screamed on the rooftops to what these strong antibiotics can do. Not to say antibiotics don't have a proper place in medicine, just the use of them for everything from a small cold to a minor cough need to stop.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Sun May 15, 2016 11:29 pm

Hi,
I was thinking about the lack of news coverage the monster gets while I was typing this post, but it was late (I was having one of my sleepless evenings) and decided to cut this short.
Idiot is the term I use for the antibiotic happy doctor that directly caused my illness (and I think I am being reserved - my anger towards her is immense).
Every doctor I have seen since (5) has stated they would have never given me an antibiotic for my original problem (foot infection). In fact my GI used the exact same word to describe his "disgust" (his word) with that other doctor...By the way, my foot infection was resolved with Epson salt/white vinegar baths....It took only several days....talk about anger !!
Positive prayers for all of you,
Scott

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:58 pm

My guess is the news media doesn't like to discuss WD and the other symptoms. Easier to talk about mosquito transmitted disease.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Mon May 16, 2016 12:55 am

Hi,
You are right Beth. The TMI banner would go up and people would change the channel (it's all about ratings) or just think it's not a big deal to get D not understanding what all of us regrettably understand....
Scott

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:00 am

I too wish that c-diff was talked more about in public. If you bring it up to people, it is more than likely that they know somebody who had it. It is unfortunately becoming more common in the community. I got c-diff after taking Cefdinir (generic of Omnicef) for a so-called sinus infection. What makes me mad the most (other than the over-prescribing of antibiotics) is the fact that now when we really need an antibiotic, the fear of getting c-diff again is overwhelming. Even at the possibility of needing an antibiotic when I'm sick makes me frantic. I am suffering with a pretty bad sinus infection now. It's pointing towards being bacterial since the pressure is relentless, and I'm draining yellow disgusting mucus. I couldn't get an appointment with an ENT until Thursday, but I got an appt tomorrow morning with my PCP. I know the ENT will do a culture - not sure about my PCP. I really wish I could be a normal non-c diff person who could go tomorrow, she can check me out, prescribe something and not worry about taking it. If she doesn't culture, I have to wait until Thursday to culture and then wait for the results. By that time if it's bacterial, I would have had this for 3 weeks! Usually ENT's can tell even without the culture though by just scoping I think. Anyway, anything related to c-diff just stinks and makes me so angry!

Sorry to hijack your post with my rant! :-)

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Mon May 16, 2016 10:35 am

Hi,
I use sinus rinse twice a day for life long sinus issues....Last year I did it 4 times a day for a week and it cleared an infection....
Hijack (was not really hijacking, in my opinion) anytime, we are here to help & comfort each other....
Praying for your recovery,
Scott

Return to “Free Form Discussion”