off to Mexico

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Nancy1
Administrator

off to Mexico

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:26 pm

Hi, folks,

I'm off to Mexico tomorrow to see my grandson in Veracruz. I can't decide if I'm more excited or terrified. Since I had to go to West Virginia for my dad's illness and death, I know I can travel on vanco, but Mexico is more scary. I've just started pulsing and seem to be okay on that so far. I'm bringing plenty of vanco in case I have any problems, plus bottled water, Purell, and some Ensure. And of course I will be really really careful about what I eat and drink.

Thanks for all your support.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:43 pm

Nancy,
Have a great time and enjoy your grandson. Sounds as though you are ready. You should be fine. I traveled several times with C. diff., and it was stressful, but I did fine, and you've already had one trip.

Do you know about Skype? Wonderful way to talk and see your family via computer? We just got it, and it's great. Can now "see" our grandkids when we talk to them.

It's difficult to be a long-distance grandparent, isn't it? Let us know when you get back.

Marcia
Long Time Contributor

Postby Marcia » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:51 pm

Veracruz is where i was born. Left there when i was 10. I know it's very nice but it's also known for floods and hurricanes. So there goes the bottled water warning. Take care, and return safely.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:15 pm

Hi, friends,

I'm back from Veracruz and had a wonderful time. I felt well, the pulsing is going fine so far (it's early), and it was great to play with my sweet and affectionate grandson, age 2 1/2. I stayed in a hotel so I wouldn't have any chance of giving cdiff to anyone. I spent the days with my son's family. They cooked especially for me, with no spice, and nothing I ate caused me any problems. Of course, I drank only bottled water, brushed my teeth with it, rinsed my hands with it.

The downside was that my grandson got a cold on my second day there. I thought, the main reason I came to Mexico was to hug and kiss him, so I didn't stop him from doing that. I figured, If I get sick, I get sick. I washed my hands like a madwoman and so far seem to have avoided the cold. One of the other kids there was throwing up, and my son got my grandson's cold on my last day there, not to mention some people coughing and sneezing on the planes, so I was lucky to get out of there without catching something. Knock on wood, I hope I didn't catch any of that. So far, so good.

Thanks, Bobbie, for the info about Skype. I asked my son about it and he's heard of it but hasn't yet looked into it. It sounds terrific. Especially because my son and his wife are having another baby at the end of March, and my infectious disease doc says I should not go down there for 3-4 months after the baby is born (by C-section), in case I am infectious to the baby or to my daughter-in-law.

Hugs and healing to you all.

Marcia
Long Time Contributor

Postby Marcia » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:06 pm

Nancy
Great to hear everything went great! I wish to go down there some day.
Today i was working at the office (new job where they are training me as part of a program) and there was 2 ladies there, one was battling sinus infection she kept saying "i was hoping the antibiotics would kick in already" "amoxicillin you better start working" I just crinched to hear her. Anotherone came back from her doctor's appt. saying she was going home because of a case of bronchitis so she was going to get antibiotics and not come back til monday. You can imagine how many trips i made to the bathroom to scrub my hands. I almost think omg they are next, but i think i just get too paranoid to hear the word "antibiotic".

Welcome back!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:25 am

Glad you are home safely, Nancy. Congrats. on being grandmother again. Do get Skype. It's great.

I went to a meeting last night and aerobics tonight --- everyone coughing and sneezing. I just got over resp. infection so holding breath -- literally. Still haven't gotten final results on second UTI test.

C. diff. leaves us a little paraoid, doesn't it? All those lucky people (and I used to be one) who believe that magic little pill will take away all their woes and sniffles. Hah!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:12 pm

Thanks for your warm wishes. Marcia, I keep meaning to say, what a small world, that you were born in Veracruz! Luckily, I've never been there for floods or hurricanes. I like it a lot, but of course having my son's wife's family there makes such a difference. Everyone is very kind and welcoming. They actually live in Paso del Toro, which is south of Veracruz, past Boca del Rio. The only thing I don't like is the mosquitoes, but this time of year, in the dry season, they're not so bad. I'm taking a Spanish class once a week here, but still only hablo poquito espanol. Hugs!

Marcia
Long Time Contributor

Postby Marcia » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:49 pm

Hi Nancy
People i know from Veracruz here in Oregon, are from Boca Del Rio. They always ask me if i know where that is, i tell them no. I was 10 or 11 when i left there, then went to live in Oaxaca, then Mexico City and then to Tijuana. Since 12 i've been here in Oregon, nowhere else in the USA. I've visited California, Washington, Las Vegas and Canada. I want to go some day to the East Coast.
The place where i'm from in Veracruz gets a lot of slack because it's such a long name. It's the port of Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz.
Glad you enjoyed the trip, and that you seem to like well your d-in-law's family too.
In another topic (so i don't have to do another new post) husband ordered pizza today. He is been trying to have pizza for the last months. He usually says well if you are not going to eat then i won't order. Today he was like "come on hun, i haven't had pizza in i don't know how long!"
I said "Oookkk" When pizza got here smelled sooo good. Husband and daughter went at it. Well, as long as they are happy, i'll take the great smell.
We were going to go to the mall today but my tummy it's been upset for some reason. Maybe onions, maybe strawberries, or bananas. Who knows! I'll just go tomorrow. There is nothing on tv to watch on Saturdays!!! bored here, husband is happy he gets to watch basketball tournaments all day. He rearly has time to watch his sports, so good for him. Ok i'm done now. Take care.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:21 pm

Hi, Marcia,

I hadn't heard of that port in Veracruz. You're right, what a long name!

Pizza -- my husband loves it, but I've been scared of it ever since I've had this beast. So he gets it, and I eat something else and try to ignore the aroma. I tried one piece a while ago, with only cheese (took all the meat off); gosh, it was good but I think it messed me up some.

I'm sorry to read on your other postings that you are not feeling so well. I surely hope it's something easy to deal with. No more bad things allowed! We've all filled our quota. (I'm now pulsing off vanco and keep telling myself that.)

You always post such great links. Thank you so much for all of them. The one today on diet had quite a bit that I didn't know. I've eaten very few vegetables, so will try some more. I like nuts and have had a few, but maybe I won't do more of those. Anyhow, there was lots of useful info.

I hope you feel better soon.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”