Prayers, please 3

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Prayers, please 3

Postby amyc » Tue May 17, 2016 10:52 am

Hi Beth, hope work goes well, even though it was probably one of those nasty kids who gave you the crud lol. Can you take Xanax? A .25 or .5 at bedtime really helps me sleep. VSL#3 has solid research behind it, and I found a study from 2013 that said using it with and after antibiotics reduced incidence of C diff by quite a bit. I'm only taking one capsule per day but perhaps I will try two since you can tolerate 3, and you have been sensitive to it before.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue May 17, 2016 4:46 pm

I don't take 3 capsules, Amy. I would be in the bathroom the whole day. I take it 3 times per day, but each time only part of a capsule. I don't even take one capsule per day.

Unfortunately, it was my husband who passed on the virus to me. He had it right before me, but he did not get any complications except very fatigued and was well in less than a week. I should have his immune system, although I have not had a cold or virus in two years. But, from now on I will be getting a flu shot every year.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue May 17, 2016 10:27 pm

I got my flu shot this year but still got the flu. Mild case so I didn't go to urgent care, but I spent most of 8 days in bed with it. I kept expecting to wake up feeling better every day but it dragged on. If I had realized it would last so long I would have gotten tamiflu the first day! How was work?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:02 am

I tested with a swab on the second day I had this flu and it came back negative at the doctor's office. I don't think they did it right. Then I could have taken Tamiflu too. By the time I was in the hospital, it was too late, although they tried to make me, but the ID doctor said it was a waste and I didn't need the side effects as I was already on antibiotics. He also said that the strain I had - Influenza B - they were seeing in people who had the flu shot, especially young adults. So, I don't know if the flu shot would have helped or not, but maybe it would have been less severe.

Work was tiring, but I was glad to get back to a normal routine. I still get upper respiratory symptoms off and on even a month later now. Today, a little sore and scratchy throat. A few days ago, runny nose. My husband said it kind of came in waves for him. Every few days some symptoms would come back and then the next time less so. Strange virus. Glad you are feeling better, Amy. Hope you are too, Georgina.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 18, 2016 1:18 am

Glad you are better. Take it easy.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu May 19, 2016 12:52 am

I am still coughing but not that much and I have more energy , although insomnia is still bad.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:23 am

I have more energy too, but for some reason my leg muscles and to a lesser degree, arm muscles are really sore the last couple of days. Before I had muscle weakness and a little pain in the calves, but now it is a lot more. I took one Levaquin 250mg dose before I went into the hospital. I sure hope that this did not do it, but I would not think onset would be more than two weeks later. I suppose it could still be the effects of this flu virus, since my GI said his patient had symptoms for 2.5 months. It's kind of like c diff - the gift that keeps on giving.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:57 am

Beth I'm glad you're doing better! Still praying for you. Hope you are getting some rest. Take it easy and hang in there! XOXO!!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sun May 22, 2016 4:37 pm

My mother had this weird virus that lasted two weeks or so where every gland and lymph node in her neck was swollen. She also had a bad cough and very achy legs and back. It also caused her platelet count to go very low. After everything went back to normal, she was still left with the achy legs and back. This took another few weeks to go away. So, I do think that viruses can leave you with weird lasting effects.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:58 pm

I think you are right, Lisa. The arms and neck feel better, now it is just mainly my legs and lower back, but I have problems with discs too. I think part of it is that when I was in the hospital, I was confined to this tiny room and was not allowed to walk up and down the hall or anything. My muscles got weak. Plus the virus on top. I looked up what the internist thinks I have, but I am hoping it is not that, as the treatment is prednisone. I am still going with virus because my congestion is not completely gone and it still in me. Thanks for sharing about your mom. I hope she is 100% recuperated now.

Dobies - thank you for your prayers. Much appreciated, as are everyone else's too.

jjglad
Regular Contributor

Postby jjglad » Mon May 23, 2016 11:26 am

What a virus! :( I am glad you are starting to see some light in this very long, dark tunnel. I hope you continue to get stronger and better each day! All this, just from the flu? Wow. Or have they determined it to be a different virus?

I have had the shifting symptoms myself, one day the legs are weak, the next day the arms are weak. Mine is Lyme symptoms though. But think of it as the virus working its way out of your system! shifting all around trying to find a place to hide, but it can't! :)

Wishing you many healthy days ahead!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon May 23, 2016 3:29 pm

Yes, it was influenza B. The test apparently could pick up about 20 different viruses, but all it got was the influenza B. I never knew it could do that either, but my doctor was kind enough to tell me that the "Spanish flu" killed more people than WWI and WWII combined. Nice of him to share.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”