Prayers, please 3

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Bobbie
Administrator

Prayers, please 3

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 11, 2016 12:33 am

Locked topic again because thread is so long. Please post notes to Beth here.

Beth, glad you are a little better. We are all hoping for continued recovery for you.

Keep us updated. xxoo

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Prayers, please 3

Postby beth22 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:50 pm

Thanks for starting a new thread, Bobbie. Still home, still depressed, still weak, worried and wondering when I will ever be able to go back to work. Anything tires me out. I did not sleep well last night either. Only about 5 hours, maybe 6 at best. The night before, I got a good night's rest. I think the key to getting better is to be able to sleep and hopefully, tonight I will be able to do so.

I'm taking VSL#3 several times a day (just part of the capsule) and that has helped so far after taking so many antibiotics, although I don't know if the IV antibiotics had the same effect as the pills I took at home. They seemed not to have bothered me much at the hospital. I will continue to take the VSL#3 and hope that I don't get c diff back. As we all know, it can happen today or a couple of months from now, so I will have to keep up the extra probiotics for a while.

For those of you who have had a bad flu, how long can the exhaustion last?

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Wed May 11, 2016 9:26 pm

Hi,
About 6 years ago I ended up going to the ER for the flu. I had a 103 temperature and almost passed out at work. Even after my flu symptoms diminished I felt completely out of it and exhausted for about a month. I started taking powdered multi vitamin capsules that seemed to help me recover my strength back.
Praying for your recovery,
Scott

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:52 pm

I actually started taking some gummie vitamins a few days ago. I was not able to tolerate vitamins at all after c diff, but bought these to try and forgot about them. I figured it couldn't hurt.

It sounds as if the exhaustion can last a while then. I just found out my thyroid TSH is a little high, out of range, meaning that my thyroid is low again. I guess that only adds to the fatigue.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu May 12, 2016 3:04 am

I am still weak after the flu I got at the beginning of the month and I'm still coughing in the morning with phlegm.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu May 12, 2016 11:39 am

I'm so glad you are improving every day, Beth. The flu can really wipe you out. My friend also had it recently, and it did take a few weeks to get some energy back. The vitamins are probably a good idea if you can tolerate them.

Wishing you continued improvement and better days ahead.
Lisa

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu May 12, 2016 4:45 pm

Thyroid levels off and post flu are a recipe for exhaustion. When my thyroid was first too low I could barely walk. Hopefully your dose will get adjusted.
I think if you manage to sleep you will be turning the corner. Don't be afraid to take a sleep aid Beth. Your body needs the rest to heal!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:04 pm

I did sleep well last night and it makes a difference, like you say. I even went on a short outing today. I don't take thyroid meds. I was supposed to start and then I got sick and now the doctor wants to wait until all of this subsides. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and my thyroid is not consistently low, so I guess they don't want to tip the scales at this point. I have an appointment next month and hopefully by then this other stuff will settle down. The sinusitis is still bothering me a lot, but as long as it does not turn into an infection again, I guess it will clear in due course too.

Thanks for the information. Good to know that the fatigue can come with influenza. I guess when I was younger, I bounced back much quicker. Now it is not so easy.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri May 13, 2016 7:44 am

Glad you are feeling better and you slept well last night.Is nothing worse than being sleep deprived , i know all about that since i'm a big insomniac.I hope sinus pain will will end soon. Have you asked yor doctor about something to boost your immune system? I am prone to resp infections , like you and i was prescibed a oral vaccine.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:34 pm

I don't think I had anything wrong with the immune system, as I haven't had any colds in over two years. All my Igg, Iga, etc. were tested in the hospital and all were normal. What seems to be abnormal since this started are my liver enzymes. First just one of them (AST) and now the other one (ALT). I have never had that before in my life and I don't know what it means. Nausea seems to come and go too. I hope I don't have some kind of hepatitis. I read that you can get that from viruses and even have it be auto-immune. Since I already have auto-immune pancreatitis, who knows. Just so sick of the whole thing and only got about 5 hours sleep last night. Could not fall asleep because of the nausea and weird tingling in my body. Seeing the doctor this morning anyway.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:06 pm

Maybe all of these weird symptoms and the liver enzymes being off are all related to your body fighting off the virus. I swear everything gets out of whack after your body goes through an intense illness. Maybe the doctor will re-do the blood work once you are feeling better to see if things normalized on their own. Recently my mother had a very weird virus where every gland in her neck was super swollen, she was completely achy all over, and was getting nerve zaps in her face. Her bloodwork showed no signs of an infection, but her platelet count was very low. She had just had a blood workup in January with her physical, and everything was normal. The doctor told her to wait a couple of weeks to redo the bloodwork, and when she retested, the platelets were normal again. They were actually in the higher range. So, I think viruses can definitely do weird things to your levels.

Let us know how your doctor's appt goes.
Lisa

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:24 pm

The doctor is testing me for hepatitis A,B, C. He thinks it is not that, but to be sure. I think he is also checking the B12. Thyroids are out of whack. I have thyroiditis and that could be part of the problem with the jitteriness, etc. The antibodies for thyroid are sky high.

Yes, the liver problem could be from the virus. I hope it gets better soon. I don't know about the blood count yet. Waiting to hear back. It's all very stressful. I want to get well and feel normal again.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri May 13, 2016 9:44 pm

Beth, The thyroid being so off can really wreak havoc. As soon as you start feeling better, maybe meet with the endo sooner?
SO much of the exhaustion and difficulty sleeping can be caused from the thyroiditis.
This could have been a flu and if you add the thyroid issue and sinusitis.....can't imagine how bad you are feeling with all of that.
Hoping the flu and sinus infections clear.....then you can proceed with the thyroid issue.
Feel better soon
NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri May 13, 2016 10:18 pm

Beth, I also had thyroiditis and I went back and forth until my thyroid finally shut down and I could start meds, so I know how you feel. Ask your dr if any of the antibiotics you took could elevate your liver enzymes. Cipro did it for me and they came back down to normal after a few weeks and much worrying. "Harmless" antibiotics, right! Chances are this is all related and you need time and rest. Your body has just been fighting off a lot of infections and needs to recoup. Btw, my ENT had me add betadine to the saline nasal irrigation to act as an antiseptic so you can try that for the sinusitis if you like.
Hope you feel better soon.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat May 14, 2016 12:20 am

The liver enzymes can be elevated due to virus or the antibiotics you used to treat the sinus infection.Don't think it has anything to do with hepatitis B or C. Have you had a liver ultrasound examination ? Try some artichoke tea , in the morning , it helped me when my liver enzymes where sky high because i was taking the anti-TB meds.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”