Re: Prayers please 2

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:44 pm

Blood count improving a little, but still critical. CT showed bad sinus infection and yes, heavy duty iv antibiotics, cefepime 2g every 12 hours. Very nauseated but no more fever. Way too late for tamiflu. Been sick almost 2 weeks. Tamiflu is in the first 48 hours. Unfortu ately, the first flu swab was not accurate and I missed my time frame.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon May 02, 2016 9:34 pm

Glad that there's been at least some improvement, though sorry about the ATX. Did the ID dr (if you were seen by one?) have any useful input re: how C. diff risk might be minimized despite ATX?
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 02, 2016 9:36 pm

Thought the anti virals had to be given ASAP.

Glad you are a little better.

Did not mean to call your cell last night. Was going to call your home and ask your husband how you are doing. I don't want to talk to anyone when I am sick. Had good friends come to the hospital when I broke my elbow - could hardly wait for them to leave.

Let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it. AllisS offered to be a moderator again so she will help.

Rest, relax, read.

Prayers.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue May 03, 2016 1:09 am

How are you doing today Beth ? Praying for you !!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue May 03, 2016 1:11 pm

No news. Waiting for doctors to come and blood test results. ID cut antibiotic dose to half so less nausea. When I go home, will get ceftin he said. I am very depressed and frightened. Alone most of the time.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue May 03, 2016 5:34 pm

Beth,

I am so sorry you are alone, terrible place to be and I wish I had some comfort/advice. It does sound like the Dr's are on top of things and looking closely at everything. The fear is terrible, sometimes the hospital have staff that will come in and talk to you...maybe that is possible? They have clergy that will come in for a visit and chat, check with the nurse.
I wish I could do more......
Thinking of you..sending prayers for a quick recovery
NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue May 03, 2016 5:56 pm

Just found this Beth. So sorry to read this news. I escaped this big scare a few months ago. My ENT told me if it didn't clear he could give me ATX by inhalation. Any chance you could get that for your next round when you are discharged if the ID dr thinks things are getting under control? An ENT can do it. It will minimize the time they are in your gut. Worth a try maybe??
Thinking of you.
Rita

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:08 pm

I have been discharged. So weak, I could barely walk up the stairs. I'm so afraid the fever is going to come back. Have to start Ceftin 500mg tonight and take it twice a day through Sunday. The consequences of not taking it are far worse than the c diff possibility according to the ID. What I have is life threatening and I can't fool around and second guess the doctors at this point. I did speak to a priest who came yesterday and gave me anointing of the sick at the hospital. The nuns where my mom is are praying for me, as is my church. It is in God's hands. I just hope things continue to improve. The weakness is incredible, but blood count was slightly improved to day WBC was 2,000 and neutrophils 520. They were waiting for them to go about 500 to let me out. Hopefully, they will continue to go up.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:46 pm

My goodness Beth!! This makes me so angry what you're going through and fearing! I'm praying for you sweetie!! Get some rest. We are all thinking of you and are here for you. (((((HUGS)))))

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 03, 2016 10:24 pm

Would your insurance pay for part-time nursing care? I hate to to see you alone.

I have heard of antibiotics by inhalation, too. My ENT had me use gentamicin by saline irrigation. It worked.

With prayers and good thoughts.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:14 pm

I wondered about part time care too. I will check. I wish I were old enough for medicare because they have home health. Inhalation therapy is not for this. The antibiotic helps the white cells to recover. It has to be systemic. I don't want the levels to go into the life threatening range again. Took the first ceftin. Hoping not to relapse, but I have vanco. I can't even do FMT until blood count normalizes. Too dangerous to pick up something else doc said, but when it is normal it is okay.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed May 04, 2016 12:53 am

If home nursing care isn't quite in category of what you need (or would be eligible for), you may want to check out companies that offer household assistance to "elderly" or to people recuperating from injury or illness. I used one last year when I had my wrist fracture; aides gave me rides to PT and other medical appointments and helped with some chores that I couldn't do or couldn't do alone (though your husband may be handling most or all of those activities?).
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed May 04, 2016 3:52 am

In my coutry , we have private healthcare companies that receive funds from the health insurance company , and they can provide minimal home healthcare to people that don't have money and can't take care of themselves for a limited period of time (three months).They are doing things like : measuring blood pressure and pulse and temperature , injections , iv's , oral treatment , massage , body cleaning , changing pijamas and adult diapers , feeding patients etc.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Wed May 04, 2016 6:05 am

Glad you are home Beth and praying for you to beat this and get better. So sorry you are alone but the others have given you great suggestions. Can your church send members with food etc. and also to visit and talk or do you not feel up to this. God will bring you through this, hang onto Him.
CAROL

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:15 pm

I'm not sure. My husband is doing what he can, but he is running himself ragged. He has a full-time job and needs to be there too. I had a very bad night. Used some Flonase spray before bed and had the worse reaction. Got completely jittery, started sweating, heart racing and could not sleep til almost 4:00. I have used Nasacort in the past and this never happened, unless it was a reaction to the antibiotic, Ceftin that I took earlier, around 7:00. I am seeing my doctor late this afternoon. He told me to hold all meds until we can figure it out. I hope my blood count is better. I don't want to go back to the hospital. So far no D from the antibiotics I got. I had one day, after I took the Levaquin pill (just one dose thankfully before they changed the meds). I'm hoping it doesn't start, although I do have a lot of nausea. Will see what the day brings.

I'm praying, Carol. There is nothing else I can do at this point. I feel so weak that I can barely walk or stand. I can't believe two weeks ago, I was fine.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”