Prayers please

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Prayers please

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:06 pm

Went to ER this morning. Fever shot up high again last night. I have bronchitis and my white count is very low - 2.0 , when it should be 4.0. My liver enzymes are also elevated, although the pancreatitis seems to be better than it has been in a while. Also had loose stools again last night. Waiting for the doctor to call. The ER doctor said to start the doxycycline and prescribed some inhalers to use.

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:19 pm

I'm so sorry, Beth. Sounds miserable. I was hoping it was viral bronchitis or sinus stuff. Prayers that you have no issues with the antibiotics and that you're feeling better soon! Hugs!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:27 pm

I'm so sorry that this is bacterial. I am sending positive thoughts and prayers that you do fine on the antibiotics. i hope you feel better real soon. You have been through enough!

Hugs to you,
Lisa

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:17 pm

I am so sorry Beth that you are going through such a hard time.
I hope that you do well with the antibiotics, you deserve a break from it all.

Sending positive thoughts and hugs - stay strong (even if we know it's hard in these moments).
Hugs

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:20 pm

Beth, did doc do a spuctim culture and chest X-ray? I would not take antibiotic without them. You did take doxy without a problem when you had whooping cough, right?

I had some type of crud for almost six weeks - constant sneezing, wheezing, coughing and feeling exhausted.ecerytime Imsat down, I fell asleep.
Finally called Pulmo last week and they were going to fit me in tomorrow. Over the weekend, I felt much better and symptoms are almost gone.

As you know well, viruses are weird and difficult to diagnose and sometimes last a long time. Bronchitis can be viral. We need more diagnostic tools to tell the difference between viral and bacterial infections - especially for us. C differs.

Feel better. Take care of yourself.

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Postby zinnia1 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:00 am

Beth, thinking of you and all of this frustration. I was like Bobbie- sick for 5 weeks. I took my temperature every 10 minutes at one point!!! The temp lasted several days and the wheezing, exhaustion , breathlessness went on forEVER. Also like Bobbie I sleep all the time and my energy is only beginning to rally. I went to my primary care at least twice to have her listen to my chest and I bought the antibiotics, but didn't take. I did use pro air inhaler, one round of an advair disc, and a few days os symbocort.
You have to do what is in your best interest. Just wanted to let you know I get it.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:18 am

Used the same inhalers - have asthma when I get a resp. Infection.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:37 am

I'm sure it was viral to start. The sinus stuff is much better, but I think with these fevers spiking now for 8 days already, I had to do something. ER doctor told me same thing that ID told me - doxycycline is one of the least likely to cause c diff and with my heart issues, I can't take the chance that there is a bacteria or I will wind up with much, much worse problems. Mitral valve prolapse lets it into the heart. I draw the line when I go to the dentist for cleanings - don't take antibiotics, but for this, it is too risky.

They did not do a sputum culture - it takes too long I guess, but looking at what I was coughing up today, it did look bacterial. There is crud and then there is crud. If Roy is correct about thick yellow being bacterial, then this definitely is. The only fear I have is that the bacteria will not be sensitive to doxy and then the next choice is Levaquin and that will make me relapse for sure.

Yes, I took doxy for whooping cough when the doctor thought it was bronchitis and if I remember correctly, my GI symptoms actually improved, but that was 2 years ago and my SIBO was much worse. I already had nausea and loose stools Monday and Tuesday, prior to taking the doxy - probably the fevers, Tylenol, virus. I will just hope for the best. The inhalers hyper me up too much and I would rather not use them unless I absolutely have to.

I decided to do some FMT stool enemas after I finish the antibiotic, or before, if I feel up to it. Have to have my donor tested again though. Never thought I would be doing that again, but an ounce of prevention.... It worked last time. I just want to get some rest. I can't sleep and my chest kind of heaves involuntarily when I lay down, probably from the coughing. It is very annoying. Maybe a valium would help. Have to check with the doctor about that.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:10 am

If fever does not subside tomorrow, I have to start Levaquin. Not happy. They are doing a sputum culture finally. The blood count shows infection apparently.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:37 am

I'm so sorry Beth , I wish I would make this go away , you have been trough so much.Praying for you!!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:07 pm

So sorry Beth. Sending prayers to you that you do not relapse from the antibiotics. I am sending positive thoughts your way. Stay positive. There is a very good chance that you will do fine. You have been through so much, and I hope you feel better from all of this real soon.

Hang in and hugs to you,
Lisa

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:33 am

Beth,
Did you get the results of the spectrum culture? Yellow crud can be bacterial -- but not always. Sometimes it can be yellow at the end of an infection. I do not have any info to back this up except personal experience. Thought you tolerated doxy before and hope you can again. Would be leery about Levaquin - but if you have to take it, you have to.

I so hope you are feeling better. Will call you when you are up to it.

Feel better.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:58 am

It's more serious than the color of the crud actually, but I agree with you about that. The infection has suppressed something in my bone marrow and my white blood count is like that of a person who is doing chemo. I don't have enough white blood cells to fight this off, so I have to take the Levaquin. The doxy already gave me D. I don't know if it is c diff or not. Probably not. I have vanco to take if I need to if the Levaquin gives me D. I'm hoping not. I've increased probiotics.

If I am not better by Monday, I guess it is the hospital for me. My doctor will be back on Wednesday. Meanwhile, the endocrinologist and internist's assistant are handling the case. Still running the fever and my heart is beating out of control. I've never had anything like this happen. It was a virus that started this off and that apparently is what messed up the white count, but it has not bounced back. I hope it does. I don't know what they do if it doesn't.

I can really use those prayers. Don't want to go to the hospital.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:00 am

Oh Beth you just cannot seem to catch a break but I am praying for you. Hope today you turn a corner and start to feel some better.
CAROL

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:36 am

I am so sorry that you are going through this, Beth. I hope things improve and you don't m have to go to the hospital.
I don't know if you have ever heard of AHCC supplement, but it's a japanese mushroom supposed to help increase white blood cells to fight infections

http://ahccresearch.com/how-ahcc-works.html

Sending positive thoughts!!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”