GERD gone wild

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
notheidi
Regular Contributor

GERD gone wild

Postby notheidi » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:09 am

Vent. My GERD is acting up really bad. I am afraid to take Prilosec but I think I have to until it gets under control.

I went to the ER due to chest pain, thankfully I'm ok but I think it was the GERD! I have this health insurance where I have to pay 20% of everything, so I never actually saw the doctor at discharge! I just did the tests and they came out ok so I told the triage nurse I was going home. Plus I got tired of waiting to see the doctor. Healthcare team probably thinks I'm an idiot. I am going to be a broke idiot in a minute! But I will be less broke than if I had actually met with the doctor. I'm thinking, anyway.

I have to schedule a follow up with my PCP to discuss the chest pain/GERD. It's causing a lot of burping. I really don't like my PCP so I don't go see her as she has been insensitive in the past. I need to get a recommendation from a friend for a new one.

Just a tired vent.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Re: GERD gone wild

Postby Ashley20 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:56 am

Try drinking Chamomile tea, i had severe belly pain after drinking a green tea latte that caused me to have bad gastritis. The dr prescribed a PPI but i did not take it. I drank chamomile tea twice a day for a few days and got all better. :)

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:00 am

Sorry you are not feeling well notheidi.Have you been tested for H pylori? If you are afraid to take prilosec ( i would be too) you can try zantac and that chamomile tea that Ashley is mentioning.You can also try St.John's worth tea , it's good for stomach and guts.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:32 am

Please see your GI for the GERD, they are the one's that can handle this best and they may suggest doing an endocscopy. When it leads you to the ER, it should be followed and checking in with the GI is the best option.

I have seen 4 GI's through the two years with CDIFF, I am taking aciphex. Each has told me to stay on it. My plan is to wean off it and move to one of the OTC drugs. If I do not take one, it can lead me to complications due to the hernia I developed through CDIFF.

There are many home remedies you can try, but I would still check in with the GI.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:14 am

Sorry you are dealing with this terrible GERD. Just to add, if it comes down to that you need a PPI, just the other day, news came out that certain PPI's are causing a higher risk of kidney issues after long term use. Here is one media report, but there are many. It seems as if zantac is one of the safer bets, even for CDI. There are several posters who have taken zantac.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/14/health/pr ... index.html

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:21 pm

I am one of those with acid reflux due to a hyatal hernia and switched to Zantac after C. Diff. I just take one in the morning and supplement with Tums after meals and Mylanta before bed. I also make sure to get enough fiber with Metamucil, fruit, etc. (although too much fiber can be hard on a healing colon). Gas Ex helps if stomach gas is a problem. So far, that regimen is working better for me than the Prevacid. I also use Camomile tea rather than coffee or stronger caffeinated teas. Citrus fruit also bothers my stomach (and urethra), so I've eliminated those too. I hope you find something that works for you, but I agree with what others have said - get advice from a GI before switching to something OTC. Good luck!
Aloha,
Anne

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:09 am

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it!!! I will try the chamomile tea. Yeah, it's time for a visit to the GI. Honestly a lot of it right now for me is lifestyle issues that I need to deal with.

I have been eating apples in the evening to help with the acid, it does help. And taking pepcid. I did take one dose of the prilosec which has been rx'd for me before but I looked up the states on that and c diff and decided not to do it!
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

AmyAad
Brand New Poster

Postby AmyAad » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:54 am

Thanks all for having such helpful discussions about GERD.I have a friend who has the GERD problem and from this discussion, I get some natural treatment idea that may help him for getting control over the GERD. However now he starting taking treatment with natural medicine as "Acidgone®" . I will suggest him these treatment ideas.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu May 05, 2016 8:13 am

Unfortunately I have severe GERD from stomach problems and have to take PPIs and Zantac and sometimes other things to control it. I go through some periods where it gets really bad then it calms down a bit but I can't go without medication, much as I would like to. I have tried everything but nothing works. There are very real risks besides discomfort and each person has to weigh the other health risks too. I wish it was an easier choice but it's not. Espohageal cancer is a serious long term complication so make sure to work with a good GI dr if you have regular heartburn you can't control, whether or not you want to take medication so you can be monitored.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon May 16, 2016 10:24 pm

Pepcid or Zantac are safer for GERD than the PPIs, and if you take it morning and night seem to be pretty effective for me anyway. But I don't have a hiatal hernia or any other structural issues, so I am lucky that way.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”