OT: My cats (sad)

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
notheidi
Regular Contributor

OT: My cats (sad)

Postby notheidi » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:46 pm

I am wild with grief right now. I took my two cats to the vet on Friday and found out one had cancer. We took out his spleen as the vet thought prognosis might be good but he was sicker than we thought and I had to put him to sleep Friday night. I am reminded again why I usually don't choose heroic surgeries for my pets. I feel awful about putting him through that and in the end I paid a lot of money and ended up with a suffering and then dead cat. I wouldn't have done it, had I known it was going to go like that.

My other cat was diagnosed with pancreatitis, also on Friday. We were hoping he would do well and improve, but he is not doing well at all. He is lethargic, not eating, etc. He's been slowly going downhill for the past month. The vet is coming to my home tomorrow to put him to sleep. They were both around 12 or 13. Brothers. Maine Coon rescues. Indoor only cats. My best friends. I am so sad.

It has been so hard to come home from losing my other cat, to being around a sick cat at home. I had been hoping he could comfort me and cheer me up. Instead, he's going to go be with his brother. I do take a small comfort in that, though it hurts so much. I haven't been pet-less since I was 27. I'm 44 now. The thought of an empty house for the next few days makes me want to scream. The thought of moving towards this thing that I have had to request for the good of my baby but don't want to happen tomorrow morning makes me want to scream too.

But I am picking up my first dog on Thursday or Friday from the shelter. He's there waiting to be neutered and have some dental work done. He's a black mini poodle, 8 years old. I wanted a younger pet but he was in need and I loved him. I have a big order of dog toys and supplies coming in the mail. I am looking forward to trying something different for a while. Hopefully bringing him some joy will help me too.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: OT: My cats (sad)

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:54 pm

I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. I had to have our dog put to sleep when she had liver cancer and I probably waited too long to do it. It really is like losing a member of your family. At least you are opening your home and heart to another animal in need. I hope the dog brings you many years of happiness.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:14 am

So sorry. We have had to euthanize 3 dogs when they became old and very ill. We stayed with all of them for the procedure. Every time it was a heart breaker. We now have a 13 year old Schnauzer who, I hope, will live forever. But he won't.

I think we are kinder to our animals than our people. It is awful to watch someone - person or animal- suffer.

Kudos for adopting a new pet. He will have a loving home.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:28 am

I'm so very sorry for the loss .It's really hard to lose a pet.I remember when i lost my guineea pig ,i suffered so much , i was heartbroken.{{{Hugs}}}

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:42 am

I'm so very sorry for your loss! (((((HUGS)))))
I do want to say bless you for adopting a dog that is older. I volunteer at a Doberman rescue and it's so heartbreaking when someone will not adopt a dog who is older. Some of our best dog's are seniors and it's hard to find homes for them. Our motto is love them while you have them and when they pass open up your heart to another one. God bless you for doing this! You'll be glad you did. My thoughts and prayers go out to you this morning as you let go of your beloved cat. Just remember he will be free of his pain. It hurts but you are doing the right thing by him.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:17 am

So sorry for your sadness and losses. I think it's absolutely wonderful that you are adopting an older dog. May your new pet bring you much happiness and healing.

Hugs to you,
Lisa

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:26 pm

I am so very sorry for the loss of your Cat. Our pets bring us such comfort and joy, do know you gave him/her the best cat life and in the end...sent him off peacefully.........
I think it's wonderful you are bringing home/adopting an older dog....many happy days ahead
NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:40 pm

I lost both my dogs within 3 months a few years ago.
One was a loving dog the other, a Parsons Jack Russell was a total nightmare.
He hated almost everyone except me.
We took him to a doggy psyce who said he thought my wife was a badger and he attacked her in defence.
They said put him on prozac,
My Son, (and this is not exagerating,)wore shin pads if the dog was indoors!
Charlie (the dog) lost several teeth attacking people but used to sit on my moms shoulders like a wrap around scarf!
But he was my dog/baby and I spent mega money keeping him alive when he was 12 years old.
Right to the point he was diabetic and I had to inject the little darling twice a day, now thats dedication!
Still have nightmares about that! And still thank God I have all my fingers:-)
Since then we have not had another dog.
My point is, we now have freedom.
It was hard to begin with, the house seemed empty.
But if the only reason your adopting a dog is because your cats have died you need to think if another 8 years of pet dedication is right for you and yours.
We decided no.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:06 pm

The loss of a pet can be so traumatic because they are like children. Even when they misbehave, we love them. I lost my beloved stepfather to cancer in May of 2005, and then our sweet 16 year old cat, Jennifer, had to be euthanized the following month. It was a tough year. We prefer cats because they are easier (they do their business in a box) and don't have to be walked. We now have an 8 year old Russian Blue named Charley, but we call him Chuck. He is a rough, tough, middle aged ol' tom with a broken nose (running into furniture), a wart on his head, and the disposition of a buzz saw (kind of like your dog, Roy). But, we love him (warts and all) and will miss him terribly when he goes. I am so sorry for loss, Heidi, and hope you and your new friend will help fill that emptiness you feel.
Aloha,
Anne

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:29 am

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts! Sorry it took me so long to reply! It has been a whirlwind few weeks. I had the home euthanasia vet come and she said she didn't think it was time for my cat! Apparently I was over-reacting to his symptoms based on what I went through with my other cat...I wanted to save him from that but no need at this point, he's on Zofran and eating much better! I am so happy!

I appreciate the support and ideas about the dog. Coopie came home two weeks ago yesterday and he has changed my life for the better! Yes, he is a lot of work, but he is one special boy. Him and the cat get along pretty well, and the cat even started eating better once he arrived. When I let him out to go potty, the cat goes to the sliding glass door and yowls or just sits waiting for us.

I got him a crate, it's a canvas crate with mesh parts and zippers, kind of like a tent. Believe it or not, the cat will sit on top of the crate when he's inside. And the cat will hang out inside when he's not in there. The crate is mostly for bedtime and resting. He gets the run of the house when I'm at work and just sleeps most of the time, he's a total champ about it. I walk him in the morning to tire him out before I leave, and then again when I get home. If I'm going to be gone a long time, I pay my friend's teenage son come to out and give him a little break and play time.

He actually loves being held and carried, I hold him like a baby with his tummy on my chest and he looks over my shoulder.He loves to play and is very exuberant for an older dog. His behavior around other dogs needs addressing, that's his only fault. His favorite toys are a stuffed squeaky burger and stuffed squeaky squirrel.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm glad it all worked out. When the time comes for the cat, you will know yourself. Meanwhile enjoy the animals and let them enjoy each other.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”