FMT after Dificid taper?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
sevla
Regular Contributor

FMT after Dificid taper?

Postby sevla » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi everyone,
as some of you know I have been waiting for the FMT and things were delayed after my donor tested positive for c diff. My step son is not a valid donor either because he has eczema (even if it's just during winter time). So two friends of mine have volunteered, but this will push things towards the end of August and they are out of twon for a few days for work.

I am now on day 21 of Didicid..taking one pill a day for the past week, hence started sort of a taper regime. The doctor called me today to tell me to continue to take one a day until the FMT (that will me over 40 days in case the FMt does get scheduled for the 20th). For me this sounds like a lot of days, but if I remember correctly some here did long Dificid tapers as well.

My question is, shall I still do FMT after so many days on Dificid? I am feeling pretty good GI track wise. Going to the bathroom 2-4 times a day, normal shape and and better colour each day (today total normal colour). I am taking all the supplements that IM doctor told me to as well (Berberine, Turmeric, Enteragam, L Glutamine, etc).

I am afraid of doing it and then mess up the work that I am doing to help rebuild my flora and help healing bowel lining. Many of you usually say the prep for a colonoscopy (which is what I would have to do for the FMT) cleans up all the good bacteria. :-(

What if I just tell my GI to do the Dificid taper and see what happens? Do the FMT if I would relapse again? Or shall I just do FMT after this already taper and have two usually successful cure weapons do the job?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT after Dificid taper?

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:29 pm

No one can really tell you what to do, but if you are feeling good on the Dificid, maybe you can do the taper to stop in another week or two and then see how you are. If you relapse or things get worse, you can still do the FMT at the end of August and just take another course before the FMT. What does your doctor think?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:06 pm

I think it's a good idea to talk with your doctor. I have tried to find the research paper I found online that I gave my GI last year. I had relapsed several times and after the Vanco taper I went on Dificid. I did relapse after the ten day twice a day...3 weeks later. I then found a research paper on a Dificid taper and my GI agreed. I am still looking for it for my new GI. I was on Dificid for 3 months dropping the dose down. I don't recall the exact dose but it was decreasing everyday, then every other day, then every third day.
At that time I finally had my Appt with the GI who does FMT in my area and is very well known. We had a great consult and he told me to continue on my taper and if it returns we would do the FMT. He also felt the taper would probably work and only if I tested positive we would go forward. He had my husband tested so we were ready to go.
I finished the Dificid last November and have been CDIFF free. I have post IBS and have had symptoms on and off but tested Negative twice. It's been a slow healing process.
Check with your doctor, I am still looking for that paper. It was a study and very positive on the Dificid taper.

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:52 am

Thanks a lot, Nanci and Beth! I have to talk to the doctor about this and about trying the taper regime first. we already started it anyway while waiting for for the FMT.. Nanci, let me know if you happen to find the article you are referring to. I found something but it is mostly using Dificid after Vanco as a chaser.

nickii52
Contributor

Postby nickii52 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:17 pm

I am looking for information on this taper. Any luck on finding it.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”