Sore Throat!

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Sore Throat!

Postby Tonja13 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Well, here we go again...worry, worry, worry...I have a sore throat. My husband came down with it last Friday, didn't say anything for days...of course, passed it on to me. His throat is still sore, he has some nasal congestion and has almost completely lost his voice--sounds like Peter Brady. After getting home Monday night, I suddenly felt really tired and achy. Went to bed early and felt pretty run-down all day Tuesday. Rested and went to bed early again. Felt much better Wednesday morning. Was okay throughout the day, except that I started getting a weird pain that feels like it was in the back of my sinuses? Also a weird dry feeling in my throat and down into my pharyx (high, but almost in my chest). The pain in my sinuses keeps traveling between there and my throat/roof of mouth. It feels like my glands are swollen in my neck and up near my ears. (No fever, not that it matters--I've had confirmed strep before without fever.)
I already have a doctor's appointment for Monday (already had one scheduled for the baby, so they added me to the appointment so I don't have to go in twice)...I am betting I will still feel it then, since my husband is several days ahead of me and still feeling it. I am going to get a culture done, but I'm terrified it's going to be strep.
Please tell me there is something viral going around with these symptoms...I'm trying to cling to hope here. I am really tired of freaking out that I'm going to die every other week.

Also, I'm really aggravated at my husband, who was really unsupportive during my battle with C Diff. He just went along with a sore throat and didn't take any precautions to keep me from catching it or to find out if it was strep...he didn't even tell me for days that he even had a sore throat...UUUGGGGHHHH!!!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Sore Throat!

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:11 pm

Hi Tonja - You should read my thread called, "Praying that my culture comes back negative." I just went through a very similar thing in June. I even had a zpac script that thank God I never had to take. It started off exactly how you describe, and I had laryngitis like your husband. It turned out to be viral, but lasted THREE weeks! By week 3, I was convinced it was a throat infection. Most of the time these things are viral, so try not panic! But, believe me, I totally understand your anxiety.

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Right?! I just got over bronchitis...viral as well, thank goodness!
I haven't had any trouble with the voice yet...I'm so relieved that you recognize the symptoms I've been experiencing! That will definitely help me stay calm.
I have learned since coming down with C diff a whole lot about infectious diseases...The biggest thing--there really is no way to tell, based on symptoms, what you have (viral vs. bacterial). The symptoms and how they feel really are the same...and length of illness is no measure either. I've been figuring out that most viral illnesses last two to three weeks! Something else I learned (from my ID doc)...most bacterial illnesses are also "self-limiting". Meaning they are limited as to the structures (like viruses) they invade and infect and will run a natural course and so long as your immune system is functioning properly--you will get over it in a couple/few weeks time. Antibiotics are not even necessary for most simple (and the most common) bacterial infections. Of course, this news really pissed me off--the doctor has been pumping me full of them for every sniffle or pain for years! (Of course, strep is one of the few bacteria out there that is not 'self-limiting' and you really should get treatment for...)
After all of this--I just WON"T take antibiotics again without a culture. I know, you're thinking, "Join the club", right?? LOL...

Thanks Lisa!!!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:59 pm

Exactly - No culture, no antibiotics for me!

By the way, gargling with salt water, really seemed to help me. I gargled a couple of times a day. I also took an immune booster every day, as well as, drank EmergenC. Whether either of those things helped, beats me, but I did it anyway. The salt water gargle did help though. Mine was all in my glands and what felt like my tonsils. I did have weird things during this virus as well - canker sores in my mouth and even pink eye in both eyes! I did feel it in my sinuses somewhat too, but I never got a congested type cold. It was mainly in my throat and glands. I was convinced by week 3 that it was a throat infection. It took so long to get the results of the culture, and luckily it went away while I was waiting for the results. I caught it from my husband as well. He had it for quite some time, but his went into his sinuses and he winded up with an acute sinus infection and ear infection. He actually had a perforated eardrum. He did a round of amoxicillin that did not work and then had to take a round of levaquin, which actually cleared it up. I thought I was doomed! At the same time, my daughter had an ear infection and was on amoxicillin. I was loading them up with probiotics. It was a c-diff'ers worse nightmare! :-) But luckily, it all turned out fine. I think my husband's was viral, but it led to a sinus infection. He is prone to sinus infections though. I'm sure you will be fine as well. Most illnesses are viral.

Hope you get better quickly,
Lisa

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:14 am

A friend of mine and her daughter in law both have come down with the flu. They were tested and it was confirmed. I never heard of flu in July, but I guess there is a lot of viral stuff going around. I hope you feel better soon!

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:37 am

I know Beth...there is a LOT going around right now that normally doesn't in summer. It's very strange. Maybe due to the unusually cool weather we've had this spring/summer?
I am feeling considerably better today. The sore throat lifted yesterday about 4:00...I think it's one of those "off and on" type of things. I toughed it out last night and did my one mile run and got up and worked out this morning. It actually seemed to help. I'm only doing that because I adhere to a few "rules":
1) No fever.
2) It's from the neck up with no difficulty breathing.
3) My energy level was okay. (If I don't feel up to it, I don't do it.)
I'm also making sure to get to bed and get a full night's sleep and drinking lots of water.
Thanks for the replies...Happy Friday!

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Postby zinnia1 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:55 am

sore throats and congestion all around here! Two of us are sick- and I have lost my voice. My daughter home from work. Feel like ac contributes in some buildings.
Hoping for a healing weekend and that someone makes us tea!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:32 pm

Tonja,
Sorry your husband is not more considerate. Mine is not either. He seldom washes his hands except when he uses the bathroom - seldom before eating or after returning from shopping, golf, etc. Once when we both got pneumonia. He said, "I could die from this." You think??? What about me?

Glad you are feeling better.

I like your assessment of "carrying on or not" and copied it in CDI - Infections. Hope you continue to feel better. You might try saline irrigation. Many sore throats are caused by mucus dripping from your sinuses down your throat.

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:40 pm

Funny you say that...my ugly history that got me here is due to my late tonsils (may they rest in peace) and sinusitis. I swear by nasal washing. I use that squeeze bottle from Walgreens that comes with the saline packets. I use it regularly anyway--it even helps to relieve allergies. The last time I had a swab done, the culture didn't grow ANYTHING. The ENT was shocked. I was ecstatic.
I also swear by Mucinex...best to keep things moving. It can totally prevent a secondary bacterial infection.

You made me laugh with your pneumonia comment...some people can be so dense. <rolling eyes> ;-)

I hope my good fortune continues...the agenda for this evening is a walk to the farmer's market (just a couple blocks from my home) with the family for a relaxing evening...and a little pizza!

...enjoying life again! :-)

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:06 pm

Me, too. My first bout with C diff in l993 started with a sinus infection and a then new antibiotic called Vantin - now rarely used because of all the c diff it caused. I had sinus surgery that was a Godsend.

I do the saline rinse - same bottle method - twice a day and more often when I have a resp. infection. I use my own salt/soda mixture when the packets run out. I never used to boil the water - and used tap water, un boiled - in the UK but I do boil the water now. Guess someone somewhere got an infection from un boiled water.

Glad you feel so much better. Years ago, this would not have "phased" you. After c diff we all become paranoid - with good reason.

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Re: Sore Throat! UPDATE...

Postby Tonja13 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:35 am

So, the sore throat is still off and on. Monday I felt pretty good. Late in the day I got really tired...woke up and was not right all day yesterday. Felt awful--sore throat flared up pretty bad. I decided to stop by the clinic on my way home for a rapid strep test, since this sore throat has already been hanging on for a full week. Thank God it was negative. The NP did inform me that there is a nasty virus going around right now with a sore throat of unusually long duration. Many have lost their voice with it or come down at the end with a lingering cough, but not all. I just have to tough it out and let it run it's course...

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:43 am

I'm sorry you don't feel well but hey at least you don't need antibiotics!! Praise the Lord.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:12 am

Tonja - It must be the same virus I had that I wrote about previously. It lasted 3 weeks for me! Crazy, but at least it's viral!

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:50 pm

Yeah! Weird...I've haven't had any sore throat since Tuesday! :-)) It was really bad, then just went away!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:27 pm

Must have been a virus or allergies. So glad for you.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”