Dental work - Good thoughts & prayers for son, pls

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Bobbie
Administrator

Dental work - Good thoughts & prayers for son, pls

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 01, 2014 2:26 am

My younger son has two abscessed teeth & is getting them pulled tomorrow. He had c diff at 4 yrs old and was the youngest and one of the first people put on oral vanco. If it weren't for his ped. GI he would have died. He had c diff again at 10 and was chronically ill for most of his youth. He is much older now but doesn't take care of himself - has asthma, smokes, has neglected his teeth for years. His g. grandfather died of an abscessed tooth - of course, this was before our friends - antibiotics - were invented.

Son lives in a small town near here & lives alone so we are going there for the surgery altho. neither he nor his father want me to do so. They will not ask questions or mention early history of c diff so I am going. I am sure the oral surgeon will enjoy my input. Had to stand up to docs many times before for kids, parents, self - still don't enjoy it. Difficult to turn a wuss into a warrior but can be done.

When I first developed C. diff. in l993, I had an abscessed tooth that turned into osteomyletis - was on IV vanco for 7 to 8 wks plus oral vanco for c diff. Worked most of the time - think it saved my sanity. Had to have my entire mouth rebuilt - braces, bridges - thousands of dollars. Son's teeth are too far gone to save. He does not have insurance.

"Our children are our hostages to the future." Amen!!

Wish us good luck. I won't be on the site tomorrow.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: Dental work - Good thoughts & prayers for son, pls

Postby getwellsoon » Thu May 01, 2014 6:51 am

Good luck Bobbie, Hope everything goes well for your son. I know you will be like a tiger and fight for him. I don't know what some men would do if they didn't have wives and mothers to stand up for them. I'm sure he'll be fine, he will be in my prayers.
CAROL

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:18 am

Bobbie, I am sending lots of good wishes for Chris, and for you. I like reading of your being a tiger, and a warrior! You are!! You go girl! Good luck.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu May 01, 2014 12:11 pm

Will be "interesting" to see if the dental surgeon tries to prescribe clindamycin ... though I'm sure you'd protest that. Best wishes for all going well.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 01, 2014 8:04 pm

It turned out well - for a change. No need for antibiotics! Both teeth came out easily; only one was abcessed. He is like his father - doesn't go to dentists until his teeth fall out although he brushes and flosses. I don't think he's been to a dentist for over l5 years.

I was so stressed, I took my I-pad in the dental office with me and read your comments. Helped a lot. Son did agree to take my typed list of questions in to the oral surgeon - who is about 12. So far, so good. No problem unless more pain and swelling.

I spent more time on this - called my dentist, my perio's dental assistant. Didn't sleep last night. Saw the dermo. yesterday and had spots burned off my face. Altogether, a stressful week.

Maybe pain will be a teacher. I hope so. His father lost 8 teeth before he "got wise." After osteomyletis, I spent two years of hell to keep my teeth.

I am going to take a nap. Thank you everyone. Remember, floss, brush, and see your dentist for a professional cleaning every six months!! "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:16 pm

Glad to hear all went well. Hopefully he will visit the dentist more regularly. Now, you get some rest and de-stress or you will wind up catching something too. Whenever I get all stressed out, that is when I get sick. Do something nice for yourself and try to relax!

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Postby saraht » Thu May 01, 2014 11:49 pm

Oh gosh Bobbie I can't imagine how you felt! Glad everything went well! Men.. You can't make them take care of themselves! How old is your son now? Sounds stubborn like my husband!

sickofthis
Regular Contributor

Postby sickofthis » Fri May 02, 2014 5:39 pm

Bobbie,

I completely understand your fear for him, c diff and dental issues seems to automatically trigger anxiety. You said your son had c diff at the age of 4 and again at 10. How old is he now? And has he taken antibiotics at all since his c diff ordeal?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 03, 2014 1:09 am

Sarahi and sickofthis.,I am embarrassed to admit son is 39!

He has only taken an antibiotic once in years - a z pak for pneumonia w/o a problem. Normally he doesn't go to docs - or dentists. Think he got sick of them when he was a kid. I was able to tolerate a zpak twice for pneumonia without a problem. It can cause c diff however but is a low offender.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 03, 2014 1:11 am

Thx to everyone for their best wishes and prayers. I had a decent night's sleep last night - first night in a long time.

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Sat May 03, 2014 9:45 am

So glad it went better than expected! I guess you never stop worrying feverishly about your children no matter how old they are eh?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Nope, never. I've posted this before - "Our children are our hostages to the future." Hope now you can enjoy your babies. Aren't you relieved it's over? Feel better.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”