PET Scan

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

PET Scan

Postby GtrGrl » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:53 am

Hi all. This isn’t very Christmassy. I’ve been very unwell for eighteen months now, it started with a gynae infection (5 weeks after my life-giving FMT) that my GP refused to treat (probably too scared since she was the one that overprescribed the antibiotics which gave me C Diff in the first place) and so it got worse and worse and symptoms became systemic and disabling. The pain in my gut is terrible, and I have raised inflammatory markers, inc. raised liver and pancreatic enzymes, ileal ulcers, constant nausea, reflux, groin pain, dysautomnia... I’m a mess but no one can pinpoint what is causing it. I asked a different doctor about a PET scan and she said it was a good idea since it will show up areas of inflammation/infection (although can’t differentiate between the two) but then got her assistant to send me an email saying it would be a waste of money. Does anyone have any experience of PET for this purpose? Has it helped with diagnosis? It’s a lot of radiation but at this point I’m desperate to prove there IS something wrong and it’s not just ‘functional’ (although then I think, ‘what if they want to try antibiotics?’).

Thanks.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: PET Scan

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:10 am

I had a particular PET scan to detect endocrine tumors and it did not show anything. For elevated pancreatic enzymes I had MRCP, which is a specific type of MRI. That did show something. It looks at the pancreas and liver. Maybe ask about something like that.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:04 am

Thanks for replying, Beth. I already had an MRCP and it didn’t yield any results so I want something that’s going to show up ‘hot spots’ of inflammation. I know they’re there; I need to prove it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:45 pm

There are different types of PET scans. If the MRCP did not show anything, then yes, I would go ahead and do that.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”