Grumbling Appendix?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Grumbling Appendix?

Postby GtrGrl » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:12 am

Hi all,

For many years I have had pain in my lower right quadrant that comes and goes but has at times been so intense I’ve gone to A&E. They have never found anything, and each time they say they can’t see my appendix on a scan. The pain is almost constant of late, sometimes agonising, and I feel sick and exhausted all the time with feelings of fever (although no actual temperature). I know it’s not acute appendicitis but I’m wondering if I have the chronic form, AKA a ’grumbling appendix’; has anyone else has any experience of this? For a while I thought it could be the C Diff still hanging about at a low level but when I think about it, it’s been happening since before I ever had that.

Thanks for any insights.
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Re: Grumbling Appendix?

Postby BetsyS » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:03 am

Yes, I did for years,except my pain was in my upper right quadrant. I thought I had gallstones, though I swear it felt like my gut was twisting with each cramp. I woke up one night with severe pain and drove myself to the ER. Even the doctor thought it was gallbladder, but imaging showed it was normal and no stones. After 12hrs, it was so frustrating i just wanted to go home, but the doc talked me into staying for a CAT scan. It showed my appendix was about to burst. They did look for it in my earlier tests but couldn't locate because it was in my upper abdomen hiding behind my small intestine. Turns out I had a large rare cancerous tumor on my appendix. The doctor said it probably had been growing for 5-6 years. All those episodes i thought was gallbladder was actually appendicitis.

Appendix cancer is extremely rare, and most likely not your problem. I shared my story because the appendix is not always located where it should be; I don't see how your doctors can rule it out. There are also a lot of other things it could be; it bears looking into.

I wish I had consulted with my primary care about all those episodes. I too never ran a fever, but did I have a high white blood cell count. imho, the ER doctor probably saved my life because of his persistence. Had my appendix burst my cancer would have spread throughout the abdomen.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:06 pm

Hi Betsy, thanks for replying. Goodness, I had no idea this could happen (and am sorry to hear of your experience).

I have the upper right pain too. I have mentioned all this to numerous practitioners but they always dismiss it and try to blame my ovaries (even though repeated ultrasound of those has never revealed anything either). I have a phone appointment with a radiologist tonight, I’m going to ask for his help and will be armed with the info you’ve given.

Thanks again!

Edit: all he said is it’s a good sign if they can’t see it as it means it’s not inflamed! This doesn’t explain the pain!

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:05 pm

My appendix simply wasn't showing up either, but boy was it large and visible in the CAT scan images. I forgot to mention I was not really running a fever either, and I didn't have rebound pain when he pressed on my abdomen; I have a pretty high pain threshold. I did have a high white blood cell count though, which indicated an infection. That's why the doctor was so persistent that I stay.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:10 pm

Annoyingly my WBCs rarely go up - even when I had raging C Diff and colitis my blood markers were pretty normal, which is probably one of the reasons they initially misdiagnosed me and delayed treatment (I’m not scarred by that AT ALL). I’m planning to have a MRI, surely that can’t miss the appendix?!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”