3 years since last CDI. Should I chance a breast augmentation??

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Ygy
Regular User

3 years since last CDI. Should I chance a breast augmentation??

Postby Ygy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:50 pm

What are your opinions on getting a breast augmentation after having 3 separate cdiff infections? Last infection was 3 years ago in may 2018

My history :

1. Age 26 in November 2012 was my 1st cdiff infection while pregnant with 1st child. Healed with 10 day vanco. **No problems but triggered mental illness /OCD/ anxiety/ germs phobia.**
2. Age 31 in august 2017 was my 2nd cdi after taking Macrobid for UTI. Also was pregnant with 3rd child. Had atypical symptoms so cdiff was untreated for over a month.10 day course of vanco didn’t work. 6 weeks of vanco but not improving. Dificid healed me. But PI-IBS persisted.
3. Age 32 in May 2018- 3rd CDI happened a few days after csection for my 3rd baby. Only took one dose of IV vanc. But GI doc thinks I got it from hospital stay. 10 day Dificid healed me. Bad PI- IBS persisted

Age 33- had to take antibiotic for UTI but took 10 days DIFICID with it. DID NOT get a cdi. Although had a few IBS flares that were scares. But I have tested negative many times.

Now I’m 35 and it’s been 3 years since my last CDI, I still have IBS flares but I’m otherwise healthy and fit. Life is normal again..

I want to have a breast augmentation. Between breastfeeding 3 kids and 20 lb weight loss on my already slender frame (due to cdiff. but I’ve since gained back and I’m at a healthy weight.) I’ve lost most of my breast tissue.

The plastic surgeon said it is an outpatient procedure at their own surgical center- not a hospital and he will use IV vancomycin and will order me Dificid as prevention again.

Has anyone had a positive experience with outpatient procedure? My other concern is possibly having to take colace/ laxatives bc of anesthesia and pain meds may constipate me. Can stool softeners activate cdiff? I know laxatives can trigger cdiff.

I’ve emailed my GI and ID to ask their professional advice. I know this isn’t a medical site.
But I’d like some opinions of those who have had an experience with cdiff themselves. Any opinions??

I really want this BA done but I don’t want to regret it and send my life into a tailspin if I were to get cdiff again. I’m wondering if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: 3 years since last CDI. Should I chance a breast augmentation??

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:10 pm

Don’t do it.

Ygy
Regular User

Postby Ygy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:02 pm

Thank you for your input! Bobbie have you had a bad experience with an outpatient procedure?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:48 pm

Personally, I would only do a surgery that was necessary, not elective.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:13 pm

Hi Ygy,

I think that you should not get the augmentation. I'm a 35yo mom as well, slender, with teeny tiny breasts, and severe depression and body image issues. But there is absolutely no way I would have this procedure done after having had cdiff. You said that life is normal for you again and you're healthy. Considering that I think you should do everything in your power to avoid surgery and everything that goes along with it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:57 am

I had breast surgery some years ago for precancerous calcifications. I go to a breast clinic for my mammograms, etc. One of the risk factors for breast cancer according to their data is breast augmentation surgery. You might want to research that first.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:39 am

Only you can decide.
C.diff is in the past and unlikely to cause problems, but it's possible.
Vancomycin IV is NOT broad spectrum.
It will cover quite a few nasties but not all of them so there's a slight increase in the risk of post opp infection.
The benifit for your menal health and self esteem will be enormous and will probably far outweigh the c.diff risks.
I am not sure about dificid as a prevention. ( or any other med).
I would prefer to keep the big guns in reserve to treat with if needed, not as a "just in case".
Most of these opps are simple but my daughter who is your age had it done 24 months ago and it all went wrong, she is soon to have a third major procedure to hopefully put it right but her chests going to have lots of scars.
Keep that in mind but if it's important to you go for it!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:38 pm

It is a very personal choice. I also have had CDI 3 times, I would not have any type of elective surgery.

Probably because I worked in an OR for many years. In the best of hospitals, Top Plastic surgeons, and in reconstructive surgery. One never knows if they will have a complication or any type of post op infection. I often saw the patients who came to us...after having complications or problems elsewhere.

If you moved forward, make sure your Plastic surgeon is Board Certified and speak with them about their infection rate.

Wishing you the Best in whatever choice you make.

NanciT

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:03 pm

I had C Diff for over 6 months, 3 relapses during that time. For what it's worth, as most other posters stated, I won't have any elective surgery. Based on some online data the fatality rate of C Diff is around 8%. That is a high probability...... is not worth risking it.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Jodiekee
Regular User

Postby Jodiekee » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:52 pm

I’m currently suffering terribly from c diff. My appt with a GI is in exactly one hour. Thank goodness because I was heading for the hospital and i do not like hospitals.
But, if given the chance, I would def have breast augmentation. I’ve been wanting to do it for years. But I have to wait til kids are grown because they take all my money.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”