8 yr old prescribed Clindamycin

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Sloanes
Brand New Poster

8 yr old prescribed Clindamycin

Postby Sloanes » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:42 pm

My 8 year old daughter was prescribed Clindamycin due to severely infected new ear piercings (fever, swollen lymph nodes).

She is allergic to Penicillin/Amoxicillin.

Was this the best choice antibiotic? I’m terrified of CDiff.

(First post, no clue if I’m posting in correct area.)

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: 8 yr old prescribed Clindamycin

Postby AllisS » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:54 pm

Hi, Sloanes. Welcome to the site. When you have a chance, please read our guidelines for all new posters, first entry in intro thread.

I can't answer your question from a medical standpoint, since we are a support site. What I can tell you, however, is that clindamycin is the top-offending antibiotic for C. diff. If your daughter hasn't yet begun taking the medication, you may want to call the doctor and ask if there is an alternative. Perhaps others on the site will have some ideas.

I think you'll get more responses if your post is in the General Discussion category. I don't know how to move it; maybe one of the other moderators can help. Or you can repost in that section.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:12 am

The fear of c.diff is not a reason to reject an antibiotic if it has been correctly prescribed.

All medication has potential side effects.

Theres a LOT of studies that say you should question if someone is truly allergic to the less offensive antibiotics.
For her future safety you should ask for allergy tests for Penicillin/Amoxicillin and not just assume the symptoms she had while taking them were due to the medication.
At least half of the people who say they are allergic are overreacting and a simple skin test proves theres not a problem.
You do not want to eliminate such an important group of medication from her life if you dont need to.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:29 am

Is true that Clindamycin is the biggest offender but it was prescribed to a many people that didn't develop the Cdiff infection. Although if there is something else that the bacteria is sensitive to ,you should try to avoid it.There is a list under CDI section with antibiotics that are lower offenders.Try to talk to your doctor and see if he can presbribe something else.Remember to give her probiotics along with the antibiotic.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:01 am

I may be mistaken, but I thought I'd read that probiotics during a course of antibiotics can decrease the effectiveness of the antibiotic and therefore should only be started afterward. Please correct me, someone, if I'm wrong.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:38 am

I've been told that it's the opposite - antibiotics can kill off live bacteria probiotics, making the probiotics less useful. Yeast probiotics like sacchromyces boulardii are not killed off by antibiotics. However, my GI said if you space out the probiotics from the antibiotics, the probiotics will still have benefits.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:42 pm

I haven't yet had to take antibiotics since C Diff. Tomorrow will be the first time in 3 yrs. I will be taking one single Macrobid after a procedure. The ID I saw recommended taking 2 Bio K 2-3 hrs after the antibiotic and for 7 days after.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:23 pm

I have the same understanding as Lisa regarding probiotics and antibiotics.

Hmbaker1
New User

Postby Hmbaker1 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:05 pm

I just wanted to chime in on someone who has many piercings and been through infections from them and know piercers very well.. it is not recommended by the piercer to take out the earring bc then the infection could go inside of the body.. lavender oil is great for it .. also hot compress and cleaning in the shower with only hot water no soap.. works like a charm .. no meds needed .. good luck

Return to “Free Form Discussion”