Recipes

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Sable
New User

Recipes

Postby Sable » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:31 am

Hi,
I'm new to the site and am so glad I found you.
How I found you is through my search for recipes for post-post c-diff.

I was doing okay and coming out of it, eating relatively like I used to and then I went to visit a cousin. Roast pork! Rhubarb cobbler! Came home and promptly got the flu which wasn't helped by the rich eating

I'm not sick again but it's back to basics dietary wise. Rich foods are now totally off my list of "eat this". But, I have a problem not only do I hate to cook, but I don't know what to cook!

Anyone up for posting recipes that make us feel like we're eating at least somewhat normally, and easy ones so that those of us who aren't fond of cooking can do them?

I'll start it off with something I did last night (I tend to like one skillet meals):

Poached Chicken and Rice

chicken broth or bullion
skinless chicken thighs
onion
brown rice
frozen green beans (although I used canned)
Cumin (if you like it)
Tumeric (if you like it)
or use spices that you prefer
(amounts of everything depends on how many people you're cooking for)

Put the broth in a large skillet
along with chopped onions (or shallots/leeks) to taste
Bring the broth to a boil
put in the chicken thighs and let them cook, turning them over once, for about 3 minutes
Put in the rice, tumeric and cumin and cover.
When the rice is 1/2 done put in the veggies

when the rice is done, serve.

Threw this together last night after a weekend of eating stuff I shouldn't have and this morning I'm feeling okay. It took about 20 minutes as I foolishly used white rice instead of brown which, since reading this site I find out is better for you. Yippee, as I prefer brown rice.

I guess this could classify as somewhat bland.

Anyone else have a recipe that works on the bland food side but isn't so bland it makes you want to not eat? I'd hate to be eating just this for a few weeks :)

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recipes

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:29 pm

Sable I don't think you have been given the official welcome, here goes: Hi - First let me give you the standard introduction: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST and its subtopics - especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site and answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's and Dr. McDonald's articles and some of the topics in CDI - formerly FAQ - especially Hygiene, Nutrition, and Testing.

The majority (almost 80%) recovers with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin, but an unlucky small percentage does not and can suffer for months. Everyone eventually recovers, however, unless other factors are involved such as advanced age or severe health problems. There are new treatments “out there” now such as infusions and the new drug Dificid.

If antibiotics contributed to your c diff, be careful about taking them again. (See CDI - Antibiotics). Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop c diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article).

For further information see http://www.peggymemorial.org or peggymemorial on Facebook. There is another support site on FB. Also check out the better medical web sites like the Mayo Clinic and Web MD sites.

This is a support site – not a medical site. We can’t give you medical advice but can tell you what worked for us and offer support. No one will understand what you are going through except someone who has/had C. diff. It is a strange, unpredictable disease. Your best protection (for you and for others) is thorough hand washing and good hygiene

A Recipe section sounds good to me. Yours sounds delicious, I might try it. Thanks for posting it. Carol
CAROL

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:15 pm

See the CDI section for info about nutrition and recipes. Yours sounds really good, Sable.

Sable
New User

Postby Sable » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks, Nancy. I'm just feeling my way around the site. More recipes and nutritional facts would be wonderful!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:16 pm

Sable.
Read my answer to you in Gen. Dis. I posted your recipe in CDI - Nutrition. Unlike other forums, the newest posts are last. Some of the early information at the first part of the site is garbled - the site used to "go down" frequently.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”