what do i do now?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Stefanie
Brand New Poster

what do i do now?

Postby Stefanie » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:29 am

I am not sure where to start so i'll just dive in.
What can I do to get my digestive system back to being healthy and most of all being able to eat food with out running to the bathroom 10 min latter?
I am thinking about getting a second opinion from another FP are should I go see a gastro doc?
A little back ground on what happened to me .Back in April this year I was diagnosised with c-diff. ( I think I had a bad burger from Mc donalds, not trying to diss them. I love their food but it happens) I went into the hospital for about a week, they did all kinds of test cat scans, probing my lower GI only to find i wasn't dying, lol which i could have told them. However, they found nothing are so I was told. I was but on an iv of antibiotics while there. The whole time i was there I had severe diarea which was still the issue when I left. I went to see my Family Doctor and he had me do the stool sample thing and it came back as C-diff. I was put on an antibiotic. I finished it in 10 days and still had stomach issuses. My FP then suggested that maybe i was constipated from the meds i was taking ( when I was in the hospital they took me off of everything i normally take. EVERYTHING!) When I got home I had to slow start back up on some of my meds due to what they were for. I thought he was wrong but his argument made since. Mind you I was still having diarea. SoHE had me take 2 bottles of magnisium citrate (1 bottle a nite) for 2 days. Although it help with bloating and gas it still did nothing for the cramping and diarea. HE then put me on I think 14 days worth of vancomicyn and flagenlla. When I finnish the meds I felt better and my stool lost the foul smell it had been having. Only now it's July and i am still having loose bowls and going 3 to 4 times a day, my stomache is constantly making noises and lots of gas. I eat very little since it only is going to cause me to be nausea and go to the bathroom 10 min latter. I really am not sure what to do. i just want to feel better. I am thinking about going to a gastro dr. but i am worried i am going to get some off hand answer. For the record I eat a lot of jello and soup because it is one of the few things that doesn't upset my stomache. one more thing is this normal for someone to deal with after the c-diff is gone?

Thank you for listening,
Stefanie

P.s. sorry for the misspelling =)

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: what do i do now?

Postby getwellsoon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:58 am

Hi - First let me give you the standard introduction: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST and its subtopics - especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site and answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's and Dr. McDonald's articles and some of the topics in CDI - formerly FAQ - especially Hygiene, Nutrition, and Testing.

The majority (almost 80%) recovers with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin, but an unlucky small percentage does not and can suffer for months. Everyone eventually recovers, however, unless other factors are involved such as advanced age or severe health problems. There are new treatments “out there” now such as infusions and the new drug Dificid.

If antibiotics contributed to your c diff, be careful about taking them again. (See CDI - Antibiotics). Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop c diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article).

For further information see http://www.peggymemorial.org or peggymemorial on Facebook. There are several other support groups on FB. Check out the better medical web sites like the Mayo Clinic and Web MD sites.

This is a support site – not a medical site. We can’t give you medical advice but can tell you what worked for us and offer support. No one will understand what you are going through except someone who has/had C. diff. It is a strange, unpredictable disease. Your best protection (for you and for others) is thorough hand washing and good hygiene.

Although we all know how devastating this disease can be -- physically, mentally, and financially -- this is not a fund-raising site.

Again, welcome. Remember, the “odds” are in your favour.

Stephanie, I am so sorry you are having these problems. I do definitely think it is time to see a GI or ID Dr. They know much more about treating CDiff. As to your diet, most Drs. recommend the BRAT diet. It is a diet that is very easy on the digestive tract. Even after being treated for CDiff you can continue for some time with the symptoms you describe. Constant D shouldn't happen though, so if you are having that than it needs to be addressed. Right after I had CDiff I had the same problem as you although not as severe. I would have to go to the bathroom after eating also. I think its from the colon not digesting the food properly. It takes quite a while for the colon to heal after such a trauma to it as CDiff. Are you taking any probiotics. There are many good ones and a lot of Drs. recommend them now. I take a high powered one from the compounding pharmacy and its refrigerated. I also take Florastor. You could solicit feedback from your Dr. about what to take. Also Pepto might help or a prescription for Questran, which firms things up and holds in the toxins in the stool to be released. These are all questions for the Dr. I think I would make an appt. with a GI and take it from there. Good luck and keep us posted. Hoping you feel better day by day. Carol
CAROL

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Re: what do i do now?

Postby gm37 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:41 am

Stefanie,
I agree with Carol. A GI can help you find out what is causing your symptoms and help you get the correct treatment. Most family doctors do not have enough experience with c-diff to treat you properly. When you make your appointment, let them know you have been diagnosed with c-diff and are still having diarrhea. Take care of yourself. Watch out for dehydration. It can be dangerous.
Hope you get some help quickly! Keep us posted!
Anne

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”