I feel so isolated :(

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
melissaann8118
Brand New Poster

I feel so isolated :(

Postby melissaann8118 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:38 pm

Okay, so let me just say this is probably a pity party post but I have to get this off my chest and would love to hear if people have had similar experiences. First let me just say that having C-Diff SUCKS big time!! I am a hair stylist for a very busy and prestegious salon in our city. I love where I work and the girls that I work with so much, but ever since being diagnosed with this I feel very alone. My doctor said I could return to work if I felt up to it. I called to see if the owners were okay with it and the receptionist said our owner would call me back. I knew then that going back to work was going to be an issue. Basically to make a long story short, I was told not to return until they have the results from a negative test. I agreed and although I completly understand, my feelings were still hurt a little. Today our salon manager called me over the phone to ask a random question about hair and I asked her, "Do you think I would get in trouble if I came up there to visit with you girls for a little while?" Her reply was "I dont think that would be a wise decision". I feel like people are scared of me and it hurts so bad. I couldn't help that I got sick and now my life is turned upside down. How long does it usually take for this to go away?

Fire2
Regular Contributor

Re: I feel so isolated :(

Postby Fire2 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:34 pm

1st of all and most importantly there is no reason that you can not visit ...You are not Typhoid Mary..... The avenues of C-Diff transmission require certain conditions to exist and as long as you engage in basic good hygiene there are really no issues. One more time....I worked and shared quarters, bathroom and kitchen with the rest of my crew. During both my active and numerous relapses.We shared the flu,colds, food poisoning, but nobody got C-Diff. You make your own choices on what you want to do...MY attitude is each day that you let C-Diff take is one that you'll never get back.

FIre

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:47 am

I am so sorry that you are being treated this way. I can imagine how hurt you are.
I don't thnk they understand this illness. You are not going to infect others by visiting them or by working with them as long as you are careful about washing your hands....and they do the same. They need a lesson on this ...and on simple kindness to others.
I hope you will listen to Fire. Many people with c-diff return to work quickly with no problems. I went back to teaching . Several nurses at the hospital had recovered from c-diff and were working. There is no reason for you to be isolated like that.
I sent you a PM.
Keep us posted. Hang in there.
Anne

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:12 am

Maybe you could print out some info for your boss and mail it to her. If my husband, who lives with me and shared the same bathroom, sink etc. with me didn't catch it I doubt your coworkers will catch it either. Before any of us even knew we had it we weren't even taking precautions and no one developed it. Your boss sounds ignorant and uncaring. I would try to talk to her again and point out these things to her. She probably doesn't tell people with a cold etc. to stay away and they are 1000 times more likely to spread disease than you are. Keep you head up and we will keep you in our prayers. Carol
CAROL

AThurston
Long Time Contributor

Postby AThurston » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Maybe you could do a little inservice to inform your co workers what c diff is and importance of hand & personal hygiene. Keep it simple and short with laymen's terms for all to understand. That might nip it in the bud and make it easier for your return without having to explain over and over. I would point out that confidentiality is important (like Fire said it's not Typhoid Mary), but there are alot of people that have never even heard of c diff. You are not alone, remember we are all here for you, we care and please keep us posted.
Alletta

Fire2
Regular Contributor

Postby Fire2 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Another point to consider is her comment on a negative test....How many of us have had false negative test results and false positives. If you're really concerned wear a pair of gloves... and if they ask tell them that your hands are sensitive from hand washing. Most importantly you need to educate your employer and staff.

Fire

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:59 pm

I agree with the others. I continued to teach when I had the illness and shared an office bathroom with 6 others - none of them got sick. My husband shared my bathroom the entire time I had c diff, which was numerous relapses and he did not get sick either. I would suggest you get a note from your doctor saying that you can go back to work. I don't think they can deny you if your doctor gives permission, but I know different states have different laws.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:14 pm

I can understand the depression; most of us on this site have been in your position. No reason for Christmas to be canceled. You are not Typhoid Mary..... Only certain conditions make others vulnerable to this disease, and as long as you engage in good hygiene there are really no issues to stay in isolation. Take care!
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:30 pm

C. diff. is a lonely, isolating disease. That's why this site is important. We understand how we all feel. No one who doesn't/hasn't had C. diff. can understand the feeling.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Haven't been making any Christmas Booze this year, but definitely drinking it!!!!!!! The liquid store will never go broke in my neighborhood!!!! Happy Holidays Roy!!!!
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Have one on me, Kathy! Cheers.

Fire2
Regular Contributor

Postby Fire2 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:24 pm

With what we've all dealt with " leave the bottle...keep the cap." Enjoy you've earned it...

Fire

Delta
New User

Postby Delta » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:20 pm

If you really feel so isolated and unable to get out of it. You need to go out there and have some joy and fun. Make a lot of friends and keep yourself in different activities. You will sulrly feel happy and well. Don't live alone, try to be social.
Delta

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”