newly diagnosed

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
allenmj
Contributor

Re: newly diagnosed

Postby allenmj » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:06 pm

Sam,

I'm confused about your time table here. On June 21 you said you were on just day 4 of Vanco. When did you take your last dose?

Keep in mind that if you test less than 14 days AFTER your last dose the chance for a false test result is very high. Ask your doctor for a second opinion.

Are you having other symptoms other than the frequent diarrhea? Challenge your doctors to be more investigative. Be your own advocate, make sure your Doctor is as up to date with C diff as possible. Its my opinion only that he is being too quick to dismiss C Diff because of a single test result that may have been taken too soon.

Best of luck!

scoe808
Regular User

Postby scoe808 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:34 pm

huh i didnt know about the false negative... I havent even taken my last dose yet... should I continue? I have cramping on my left side and constant trips to the br... but the thing is is it still smells and looks like c-diff thats why I was confused.. but I figured that the colonoscopy would be the next step no matter what... do you think I should try to find a different doctor? Now I am all nervous.. agh!

allenmj
Contributor

Postby allenmj » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:41 pm

Don't be nervous, I would contact your DR as soon as possible and challenge him/her about the test results.

If you're not getting relief after this time on the Vanco you might want to seek out a second opinion though. The key is for you to be your own advocate with the doctors.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:58 pm

I would guess the ER did a full stool study to make sure you didn't have something else going on? Did they check for giardia and crypto? They are parasites that are spread through contaminated water, like well water or if your water treatment plant had a problem. Are you going to have more IV rehydration, or did the doctor say it wasn't necessary?

scoe808
Regular User

Postby scoe808 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:43 pm

I was tested for the parasites and a bunch of other things that can cause diarrhea the first time.. at the hospital I believe they only did a test for c-diff. In the office today he told me to open my mouth and told me it was dry, he did the skin pinch thing and just made a noise and i noticed my bp was only 100/70 (which for me isnt normal, I get my bp taken all the time because of my atenolol) I made a comment that I felt super dehydrated and he told me to keep drinking fluids that it was normal. I dont know, I felt as if he wanted to do the colonoscopy and didnt really listen to the other side effects that I was having. Personally, I feel dried up and exhausted but I dont really know what is normal anymore.. plus I am not a fan of hanging out at the ER all day since they treated me like crap on multiple occasions. AGH!

allenmj
Contributor

Postby allenmj » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:34 am

If you don't want to go to the ER, trying adding some electrolyte drink to help you rehydrate. Pedialyte works on adults too. In fact, you can get the freezepop pedialyte, which are actually quite tasty. I tried one before giving it to my daughter. Tasted like a regular ole freezepop. my little one loves them and it really helped her stay hydrated.

Just my opinion here, but your Dr sounds like he's uneducated about C Diff. is this your GI or general doc?

scoe808
Regular User

Postby scoe808 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:23 am

Oh good idea! I have had the regular pedialyte after I had my tonsils out and whew that was like drinking water and salt haha but I will give the Popsicles a try!

He is a GI doctor that was recommended by my primary care.. I am beginning to think he doesnt know much about c-diff... or maybe just doesnt know about cases where flagyl or vanco doesnt clear it up. I will go on with the colonoscopy on monday because regardless I think it would have to be done, however, i do plan on asking a TON of questions..! You guys make good points!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:18 pm

When I went to Mayo ( the Mecca of GI problems) in l993 during my lst episode with C. diff. I was on Vanco. All tests (including scope) were negative. Dopey doc. (found out later he was a resident) diagnosed me with IBS. When I got home & went off Vanco. I had one of the few pos. toxin tests I ever had. There are better tests now - like PCR. Before you have scope, ask about being off Vanco.

I agree about getting a 2nd opinion. Gatorade also good for dehydration; dilute with l/2 water if you have blood pressure problems.

It is amazing (and frightening) how few docs. know much about C. diff. Do research and ask questios. You are your own best advocate.

Thx. for hint on popsicles, allenmj. Posted in CDI under Dehyration & Nausea and Children (including infants) with C. diffile/ Med. Tips.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:28 pm

This thread has reached its limit - 3 pages. No further posts here anymore, please. At 3 pages, we close the thread. Anyone can start a new one: Newly Diagnosed - Part 2.
Last edited by Bobbie on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Too long

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”