just more confusion

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
carleym
New User

just more confusion

Postby carleym » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:14 pm

hey everyone, just an update
over the last week or two i had an episode of stomach pain and chest pain and being fatigued. so automatically i took blood test. and when i got the call for the results my doctor told my mom that i am a odd complex person. to explain that one is because about 2 years ago i had mono and they said it will always leave a trace in my blood system, but a few months later it was no longer in my blood system at all. they said not to worry considering its gone and not showing up again. but! the twist is that in my recent blood test these past weeks showed that the mono was back in my blood. but they said that there was 3 stages of mono in your blood and it says how long ago you had it or if u have it presently. and it said i had it months ago. which makes no sense since it disappeared ( which the retested a few times to make sure it was gone). so now they said i should see a infectious disease doctor again to see what he says about it.
also, more great news, was that i also had another bad virus that affected my colon lungs and thats my made me tired as well. i believe it was called adipose virus? im not sure exactly. but they said that the virus will come back if i get to tired or worn out. which doesnt help the fact that im a teen that was always athletic before i got c-diff and i recently started to lift( on lower levels). i just had graduation last night and now the virus is back i think. but good news is that i didn't relapse with c-diff!!! was so nervous and scared especially because because all the symptoms of the virus are very similar to c-diff. and i finally gain a few pounds since i have been free of c-diff!!!
but overall nothing surprises me anymore with the weird illnesses i hear of or get now.
i do have one question, as well, how long on average is your immune system down or weakened by c-diff? or what have you guys done to boost your immune system? i am on probiotics but i feel like its not enough.
thanks for listening! :)

carleym
New User

Re: just more confusion

Postby carleym » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:37 pm

just kidding adipose is not it, wow i was studying anatomy the other day must have stuck in my head, but that virus was called Adenovirus. sorry about that

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:41 am

That virus is pretty common. Lots of teens get mono. I had it as a teen too. It is possible that you relapsed again a few months ago. I think whenever you get really run down it can resurface. A good way to boost your immune system is to try and eat as healthy as you can and if you tolerate them, take a multivitamin pill. Also, very important for viruses like mono and adenovirus is to get lots of sleep at night and rest. DUring the day, unless you are actively sick with these viruses, exercise is good. But, do check this out with your doctor first because sometimes when you have these types of viruses you are not supposed to exercise. For me, when I rest, I feel much better. I had a virus many years ago that was similar to mono and brought my white count way, way down. The only way I got better was when I rested - took naps etc.

carleym
New User

Postby carleym » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:57 am

yeah mono is very common i know. but what are food that boost your immune system ?

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:56 pm

From the internet: Foods that boost your immune system:
1. Vegetables are huge for enhancing the immune system. Asparagus is very high in Vitamin C which increases the production of infection-fighting white blood cells and antibodies and increases levels of interferon, the antibody that coats cell surfaces, preventing the entry of viruses. Carrots and sweet potatoes contain high amounts of beta carotene which increases the number of infection-fighting cells, natural killer cells, and helper T-cells, as well as enhance the ability of the natural killer cells to attack cancer cells. Vegetables are the best source of the vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that are known to protect the body against many diseases, including cancer. They are best prepared lightly steamed or sauted in olive oil or juiced. You can spice with turmeric (a good anti-inflammatory.)

2. Fresh fruits are also great for the immune system. Berries are particularly noted for their cancer preventative abilities and high antioxidant content. Blueberries, nature's only 'blue' food, are a rich source of polyphenols, potent antioxidants that include phenolics acids, tannins, flavonols and anthocyanins. Pomegranate fruit seeds appear to enhance immune function as well as help keep blood lipid levels healthy. The phytochemicals that color fruits serve as antioxidants that promote immune function, says Charles Stephensen, Ph.D., a research scientist with the USDA's Western Human Nutrition Research Center at the University of California, Davis. "These nutrients help ensure that lymphocytes can divide and reproduce properly in response to a virus and that the neutrophils and macrophages that engulf and kill invading bacteria can do their job," Stephensen says. Try to eat two different color fruits or vegetables at each meal to maximize the variety of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants you are getting.

3. High quality protein is important for maintaining rapid production of cells to support the immune system and boosting energy. As much as possible, look for organic lean meat and poultry. Lean beef, poultry and pork are good sources of Zinc. Zinc helps white blood cells and other antibodies reproduce more quickly, and it makes them more aggressive so they're better at fighting off infections. Zinc also prevents bacterial and viral growth directly, either by poisoning the infectious agents or encouraging immune reaction at the site of infection. Zinc deficiency is one of the most common nutritional shortfalls among American adults, especially for vegetarians. Fish are another good source of protein, especially those high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for building the body's immune response. Vegetarian sources of protein include lentils, beans, nuts, whey, and soy products such as tofu and tempeh, and they have the added benefit of fiber, which meat does not provide. Small quantities of fresh almonds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds are also good sources for zinc and healthy fats. If you don't consume enough protein, you'll manufacture fewer white blood cells to combat antigens.

4. Mushrooms such as shitake, oyster, and other Asian varieties, are noted for their immune-enhancing abilities. Rich in compounds called beta glucans, mushrooms boost the production of NK-cells and T-cells in your body to help prevent infections. Studies also show that mushrooms increase the production and activity of white blood cells, making them more aggressive which is good for fighting infection.

5. Limit your total fat intake to 30 percent of daily calories, with five to 10 percent from saturated fats. Reducing fat can boost immune function by enhancing T-lymphocyte function. The type of fat you consume is equally important as the amount. Consume sources of unsaturated fats, such as canola oil, olive oil, nuts, avocados, and seeds. And increase your intake of omega-3 fatty acids (from fatty fish like salmon, halibut, and sardines), which help fight inflammation and free your immune system to defend against antigens.

6. Whole grains are a valuable source of the vitamins, minerals and fiber that are an essential part of keeping the immune system healthy. Fiber helps cleanse the colon of toxins and helps prevent intestinal infections. Cooked grains can be a great substitute for breakfast cereal, pasta, white rice, and white potatoes. Oats and barley contain beta-glucan, a type of fiber with potent antimicrobial and antioxidant capabilities. Eat whole grains not the flour to get all the health benefits. Whole grains: Barley, Brown rice, Buckwheat, Bulgur (cracked wheat), Millet, Oats, Wild Rice, and Quinoa

7. Green tea is a rich source of a type of antioxidant called a catechin, and preliminary research has found that a specific catechin, egcg, may give the beverage antigen-fighting abilities. When researchers at the University of Sherbrooke in Canada added green tea to lab samples of the adenovirus (one of many viruses that causes colds), they discovered that egcg inhibited the virus' ability to replicate. Similarly, researchers in South Korea found that egcg can also stop the influenza virus from replicating. Green tea catechins can improve lymphocyte responses and seem to have anti-inflammatory effects so use it as a replacement for things like soda or coffee. Green tea is also a great source of L-theanine, an amino acid that triggers the release of germ-fighting compounds from your T-cells. In one study, tea drinkers transformed their immune system T cells into "super cells" that pumped out 10 times more cold and flu virus-fighting interferon - proteins that defend against infection!

8. Add yogurt or kefir to your diet daily. These foods contain probiotics, good bacteria that stimulate immune system cells in the gastrointestinal tract. "Normal, healthy bacteria that colonize the GI tract help you resist bad bacteria and detoxify harmful substances," explains Susanna Cunningham-Rundles, Ph.D., a professor of immunology at Weill Medical College of Cornell University in New York City. In addition to their protective effect in the gastrointestinal tract, probiotics also may help stimulate immune-cell production system-wide. In a recent study, those who ate ordinary yogurt daily for two weeks raised their T-lymphocyte cell count by nearly 30 percent. Many yogurts also contain vitamin D, which scientists are now focusing on as a critical factor in immune function.

9. Drink lots of filtered or spring water! Water eases the job of the kidneys and liver to process and eliminate toxins from the blood. Water helps keep mucous membranes moist enough to combat the viruses they encounter. Water is also a little known tool for reducing sugar cravings as sugar cravings are often just the result of dehydration. Try to have 6 to 8 glasses of pure water every day. Using a straw helps me drink more. Maybe it will work for you too!

10. Garlic is a powerful immune booster that stimulates the multiplication of infection-fighting white cells, boosts natural killer cell activity, and increases the efficiency of antibody production. Garlic can also act as an antioxidant that reduces the build-up of free radicals in the bloodstream. Garlic may also play a part in getting rid of potential carcinogens and other toxic substances. Eating a healthful, balanced diet that includes whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, and healthy sources of protein is the best way to increase immunity and health. "Not only are essential nutrients critical for the production and maintenance of key germ-fighting cells in the immune system, but a balanced diet also has a strong effect on vascular function, and the immune system is dependent on blood flow," says David Katz, M.D., M.P.H., director of the Yale Prevention Research Center in New Haven, Connecticut.
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

allenmj
Contributor

Postby allenmj » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Kathy that was a great post. Its nothing that I haven't heard before but that is in a concise easy to read format.

I'm going to print it out and put it on my fridge!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:08 pm

I agree - great list, Kathy.

carleym
New User

Postby carleym » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:50 pm

wow yeah that list is great im going to print it out too! thank you!!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”