Update....

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Ashley135
New User

Update....

Postby Ashley135 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:08 am

So.......I'm going on week 9 of being off of work. I am on my second round of Vanco. Flagyl and the first round of Vanco didn't get it. I also have an appt with a gastroenterologist Monday. I am hoping that she can shed some light on this. I am tired of feeling weak.....having no energy....etc. I am ready to feel myself again.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Update....

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 20, 2012 10:17 am

Asheley, unless you are so sick you can't get out of bed, I'd return to work - at least part-time. Take a bottle of water/bleach (l part bleach to 9 parts of water) and use it in the bathroom. Wash your hands often - for everyone's protection. Keep your keyboard and phone sanitized. Start exercising if possible.

If I had stayed home from work for 9 wks. when I had C. diff. I would have gone bonkers. When you "sit around" (unless you are so sick you are bedriden) you lose your strength. No one at work or in the my family "caught" C. diff. from me, but I was very careful.

I relapsed in Dec. from having to take an antibiotic, and it's been much worse emotionally being home so I got back in "stuff" as soon as I could. The less you obsess (and we all do) about this infection, the more it will cripple you emotionally and physically.

Good plan to see a new GI first, however, and check this info. out with him/her first before you return to work.

Many of us have multiple rounds of Flagyl/Vanco. before recovering. See CDI for info. about the tapering method. It helped many on the site. Ask the GI about the new drug Dificid. It's been helpful for many. Then there is the transfer method. Info. about it in CDI, too. This forum isn't alphabetized.

Good luck to you. I do understand how you feel. It's one horrible infection.

Ashley135
New User

Postby Ashley135 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:35 am

Hi Bobbie.....

I would live to return to work, but I work in hospice. My doctor won't release me and my supervising won't allow me to cone back until I am negative. I have started exercising and the bleach/water mix is my new best friend. I have a 4 y/o daughter and she doesn't have it.....but she does keep me on my toes and keeps me active. Thanks for the advice on the medication. My primary doc told me that I may need to think about getting out of the medical field.....so I have been exploring my options...other avenues I can do in the field of social work.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:13 am

Although it is difficult to change professions, I think it might be wise to look more into the social service aspect of your work. Working in hospice and around sick people will just put you at risk all the time. I used to volunteer at a hospital before c diff and I have had to stop since. At first, so as not to put others at risk, but then because I don't want to get this again - EVER.

Having a 4 year old certainly will keep you busy. Try to get out of the house when you can though. Like Bobbie, I get very depressed if I stay at home and dwell on my situation.

I would definitely ask about Dificid. It has helped many, but not all. One poster had about 11 relapses and was finally cured with Dificid. As Bobbie mentioned, there are the stool transfers to consider if all else fails, so there are still other options there for you.

See what the new GI has to say and if you need to, go to an ID. They are sometimes more up on the medications and latest treatment options.

AThurston
Long Time Contributor

Postby AThurston » Sun May 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi Ashley, I also am in the healthcare field, I've been a nurse for 30+ years and was exposed to c diff(Jan 2011) thru my employment by an oversight. Was sick within few days, I have had multiple relapses, been on Vanc more than I have been off of it the last 17 mos. Rifaximin,Dificid and FT and still relapsed. Thru out the past year I returned to work after treatment with meds, transfusion etc.... At least 7-8 times I returned to work and relapsed. My PCP, GI's and ID I had up till Jan 2012 advise not to put myself in that c diff environment. It bothered me at first, I know nothing but nursing. Now, I know and feel it is best for me not to take that risk. I have a instructor's license to teach CNA class for Indiana and believe that would be in my best interest. You know what is best for you and you seem to have a alternative in Soc Services. I am hoping this tx with Vanc is effective tx, you still have options with taper/pulse,Dificid , that you have if needed. Hoping you feel well soon.... Best of luck and keep us posted.
Alletta

Ashley135
New User

Postby Ashley135 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:38 am

Just wanted to give an update since I last posted the original post. I am now unemployed. My job asked me to quit. I was referred to a gastroenterologist and she started me on a 3rd round of vancomycin using the taper down method. I am down to taking it two times a day. She wants another c diff test done....but I don't think it should be done while I'm on vanco. She wants it done. After my meds I get to have the colonoscopy (fun.....fun). Gastro doc thinks I have an underlying condition that is making it so hard for me to get rid of the c diff.
I can truly say I see how this disease can take over your life.....finances...etc. I am so grateful for my family. They have helped me so much and are getting my through this. Hopefully I will test negative soon. :-)

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi Ashley. If you are feeling well, I would take a pass on the colonoscopy. If you relapse again then it's probably worth it. I had to go on vanco after I had a scope because too much of my good flora got washed out by the prep...it's rare, but my doc said it could happen, and it did happen to me.

I wouldn't balk at doing the test though. It's a way for the doc to see if the taper is still keeping the infection in check. If the test is positive they will just bump you back up in the dosing for a week or two and taper down again.

Ashley135
New User

Postby Ashley135 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi AmyC....
I wish I could skip the colonoscopy....but my gastroenterologist is wanting it done. She feels that I have an underlying condition that is going undiagnosed. I have expressed concern to my doctor, but she has ordered it. So....I guess I will just have to see what happens.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:08 am

Ashley, So sorry about your job. How hurtful! They could have put you on family leave, couldn't they? Is there any way you can appeal if you want to do so? Perhaps for awhile, it would be better to be in a less "risky" field.

You are right - this infection can "color" your whole life if you let it. It's a lonely, disgusting, depressing disease. I am glad you are exercising. It won't help your C. diff. but will make you stronger and better mentally.

Do what you "feel" is right about the scope. I had one done two weeks ago for the lst time in 7 yrs. Not fun but it can diagnose other things. You probably have "" C. diff. Docs. tell you the "worst case scenario" - probably because of med. mal. practice. If you are on meds. - Flagyl or Vanco. - I assume the same is true of Dificid - they can negate findings. Check with you doc. re. this. Docs. vary (of course) about the time you should be off meds. - usually 5 days to a week.

You will be alright, but we are are terrified of this infection. It is a weird one!

Feel better. Continue to post to let us know how you are doing. C. diff. also a lonely, isolating disease and there is little empathy "out there" except from those who are also suffering from it.

Best of luck to you. I'm glad you have your daughter. I have a 4 yr. old g. daughter - such a cute age!

Ashley135
New User

Postby Ashley135 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:02 am

Hello......
Well.....I got my test results back and I tested negative. (yay!!!!) However.....I am cautiously optimistic because I am still on vanco. I am on the last week of the taper down method.

Roy.......thanks so much for your comment. The reason why I am not stopping the colonoscopy is because I wonder if it will help in finding something. I have ALWAYS been sick with something since the age of 20. The C Diff was just the icing on the cake. I have never had anything this serious. As far as the job I had.......there isn't a way if I was exposed there or not. This all happened in a 3-4 day timespan where I was at a nursing home.....started antibiotics and then went to the ER. I had just started that job and worked just one week when I got sick so I didn't qualify for any benefits....etc since.I was still under the 90 probation period.

Well......I guess after I am done with the vanco this week....the real test begins. Is the c diff really gone or not. I've had false negatives before. Thank you all for the support.

rtrospect
New User

Postby rtrospect » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:30 am

Ask your doctors about starting you on a probiotic regimen. Especially if you are having the colonoscopy because the prep for it can clear out EVERYTHING from your intestines. I am now realizing just how important prebiotics and probiotics are to the digestive system. If there have been years of damage to the mucosa lining it very well may take quite a bit of time for that poor gut to heal up. Remember, you have the right to refuse tests, just make sure if you refuse one that you are doing so for the right reasons. I refused a sigmoid flex test in the hospital because they had already diagnosed me with C. Diff and I saw no point in going in to look for it since we already knew it was there. The medical professionals may give you a weird look but always voice any and ALL concerns you may have about a procedure. The colonoscopy itself was a walk in the park.....the prep the day before....well that was not, but it is doable. Good luck on your road to improved health. : )

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”