I wil lose my mind

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Suezer
Long Time Contributor

I wil lose my mind

Postby Suezer » Sat May 19, 2012 1:40 pm

I am at work and the person I believe I got this from 3 years ago(she had c diff and I used same stall while on antibiotics) just told me she is on Clindamycin and having D ..symptoms. She is at work! These are public restrooms. I am struggling with 2 recent relapses and a sketchy pulsing regimen that at times seems is not working. She is going to infect the restrooms..I am ready to scream! I am at a very volatile place re: treatment. So did not need this added worry.
Hoping for a cure.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: I wil lose my mind

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 19, 2012 3:54 pm

Why did this person accept Clindamycin - one of the worst offenders? Didn't she learn from experience. Very rarely, it is necessary but not often. (I, however, took an offending antibiotic because I hadn't had C. diff. for a long time and there was a danger of kidney damage - it caused C. diff. again but I don't think I'd ever accept Clindamycin). I think you need to talk to your supervisor confidentially and tell her your story. It happened once - it can happen again. Perhaps you can be moved for some "better work" story.

Carry a small bottle of water mixed with bleach (think this was Roy's idea) in your purse and use it in the restrooms. You know all about hygiene so perhaps this will help. I've done this since my current episode.

You are between a "rock and a hard place" but personally this would really "psch." me out.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 19, 2012 3:56 pm

PS Get a letter from your doctor about your case of C. diff. - it will carry a lot of weight. Companies are terrified of being sued, and if the workplace is dangerous to a worker, it's not good for them. Don't threaten - just get a letter ASAP. In the meantime, wash, wash, wash your hands - also the keyboard of your computer - big "germy" place.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat May 19, 2012 4:07 pm

She is obviously not educated or concerned. She said her ENT put her on it to clear a sinus infection before undergoing a near future sinus surgery for deviated septum. I spoke frankly with a manager that knows my entire background with this mess. She gave me permission to use a bathroom that is in an entire different area. Also thanked me, she said there is a bad flu going around (ugh) and she could be putting everyone at risk..if she continues with symptoms while at work.
I just find it very irresponsible and ignorant. I will consider the bleach thing...I hate that my work place went green and uses natural cleaners. This sort of thing will lead to many more community acquirred cases of c diff. Oh the ignorance..
Hoping for a cure.

AThurston
Long Time Contributor

Postby AThurston » Sat May 19, 2012 5:13 pm

I agree with the bottle with bleach & H2o, I have done that for a long time. Bobbie mentioned the computer, phones are a biggie as well. Good luck, keep us posted.
Alletta

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 19, 2012 6:46 pm

There are these wipes that are germicidal - someone posted about them here before. They DO contain bleach. Office Depot carries them. You could use those instead - easier than carrying liquid.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Forgot about those. Thx. for reminding us, Beth.

Glad you spoke up, Suezer. We are our own best advocate. Difficult to do when you are a born "wuss" like I am. I've done things I never thought I could - thanks to C. diff. Am I thankful for the experience? Not really.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sat May 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Gosh….. “Ignorance is Bliss”. I understand your concern, but how does one deal with an individual as ignorant as that??? I don’t have the answers, but I would definitely carry an on-the-go sanitizer.
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat May 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks for chiming in everyone. She stayed her entire shift, she is scheduled tomorrow as well, going to have a conversation with her tomorrow and try to get a few points across.
Hoping for a cure.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Wed May 23, 2012 10:51 pm

Things are better, between my ears at least. I am just regressing back to my super germaphobe mode from 3 years ago. You can't fix stupid but self preservation never fails. Maybe that is harsh but we all have been there and should be able to speak candidly amongst ourselves, besides,who else really gets it?!
Hoping for a cure.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 24, 2012 1:06 am

No one. Only someone who has experienced C. diff. has a clue to how it makes you feel: terrified, inferior, sad, exhausted or hyper, etc.

You said it - self-preservation. I would get a letter from a doc. attesting to your health issues and show it to your supervisor. You don't have to make it "personal." I got one years ago as I travel quite a bit. I had my doc. write on her script pad: "Bobbie S. has an immune problem and shouldn't sit near anyone who is ill." I did this after we went to CA and an obviously ill young man sat right behind me. I developed pneumonia several days later along with another bout of C. diff. When I travel, I always sit at the "back of the bus."

At movies or church, I move if someone near me is obviously ill, and one friend (?) made fun of me. I said, "I'm a germaphobic - with good reason." She finally stopped.

I have two plane trips coming up and have done so well for years, i had gotten complacent. Now, however, with a recent bout of C. diff. I am going to have to force myself to fly.

Only you can take care of you in today's world. BTW, if this is the same woman who was involved in your last bout with C.diff. (I believe you posted this), I'd be tempted to strangle her. Is she super stupid or what?

AThurston
Long Time Contributor

Postby AThurston » Thu May 24, 2012 10:20 am

Hi, Maybe print out info on c diff and hygiene and accidentally drop on her desk, or heck just give it to her. She most likely will be oblivious to that too. Good luck...
Alletta

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Thu May 24, 2012 11:55 am

It would not hurt. I suspect this woman does not have a computer and most Dr.s around here downplay the illness as to not scare people..
Hoping for a cure.

AThurston
Long Time Contributor

Postby AThurston » Thu May 24, 2012 8:27 pm

Yes Suezer, it is the same everywhere. I am a nurse and the winter 0f 2010 our facility got hit hard, some admissions with c diff, some acquired in house. I had 8 at one time alone on my hall. I would say at one time in house we had 15 or more, which is alot. It was a shush ordeal at that time so there wouldn't be a panic.. Sometimes that can backfire,staff, patients & families are not educated and that causes them to to not take the hygiene and importance of preventing the exposure seriously.. When dr's do not educate their patients, repercussions befall the pt's & families.. Just ends in a vicious cycle.. Makes me furious. I do know that there are also conscientious dr's and healthcare professionals that are on top of infection control. You are right to be an advocate for c diff education... Good for you.... I hope this problem clears up soon and wish you lots of luck.. Keep us posted.
Alletta

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”