Staying away from "sickies"

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Bobbie
Administrator

Staying away from "sickies"

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:09 pm

I organize a lot of social activities including a dining-out group and a GNO (Girls Night Out). Received this Email from a long-time friend today.

Bobbie, I woke up with a sore throat Saturday. Was worse today with cough, so had to cancel the dentist. I would like to come if I am better. I am hopeful.

She is a good friend I've known for years and she knows what I've been through, but like most people who can take antibiotics she doesn't really understand. Unless she makes a miraculous recovery, I hope she doesn't come. I plan to have us sit at a long table, and will sit at the other end. She's had pneumonia numerous times but can take antibiotics. I've had pneumonia numerous times and can't take them without risking C. diff.

AThurston
Long Time Contributor

Re: Staying away from "sickies"

Postby AThurston » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Sticky ,sticky situation.. I'm not trying to be mean, but maybe she should wear a mask. I told Gary I was going to put a small patio table by my front door w/ a box of disposable face masks. Then maybe people/family would take the hint to please stay home if your sick. Those of us with c diff take every precaution there is to prevent others from getting c diff, now if they would only do the same for us. You have been thru so much and can't afford to pick up another illness. O dear there are no good solutions for this.....
Alletta

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:53 pm

I wouldn't be so paranoid except I probably still have C. diff.from the antibiotic at Xmas.

I am a born "wimp" and used to dread these situations. When you are "out and about" you take your chances, but friends and family - especially when you ask them - should respect your wishes. I go to church and movies and am in crowds constantly, but I have the option to move if I'm near someone who is obviously ill.

If I've lost this friend, she's not a true friend. Years ago, I would "bleed" about this - not anymore. Been through too much. The only one who will ultimately take care of me is me.

AThurston
Long Time Contributor

Postby AThurston » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:11 pm

So very true. And a true friend would be worried about exposing you as well...
Alletta

natalyjac
Regular Contributor

Postby natalyjac » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:27 pm

My son was born with a low immune system and he picked up everything. I got militant about germs in the house, and even if someone had a mildly sore throat, the invite was off. I am sure people viewed me as crazy but oh well. Actually one friend did tell me that she thought I went a little overboard, that is until she had her own kids and he was sick all the time.

Anyway, you gotta do what you can to protect yourself, and I would have no problem with sharing my concerns at all. You have struggled and struggled, and you owe it to yourself to keep sickies away.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that C diff is gone for good for you. I am so happy you have made it this far, although I know you have relapsed further out that where you are now.

Kris

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks, Kris. I am keeping really busy. It's so nice to be "out amoung 'em" again. I stayed home a lot with my younger son when he was little and ill and spent a lot of time with my mom when she was ill. I miss her so much. She was my best friend and helped me so much.

Emailed my friend and apologized but told her although I was out in crowds a lot, I have the choice to move when I am near someone who is obviously ill. Don't have that choice when sitting at the same table with a sickk person. We've been friends for over 20 years so hopefully she'll be Ok with it. If she came and was coughing all the time, I'd kick myself for not being more assertive.

We saw my younger son yesterday. He still has a chronic cough - smokes heavily - ate spicy food for dinner. I still worry a lot - but it's easier "from afar."

We want to go to the UK to see our older son (he is 45 today) and grand kids, and I have a dear friend in Charlotte I want to see. I don't have time for C. diff. It's eaten up too much of my life.

Thx. for your good wishes.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”