Dry socket, so amoxicillin it is

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
amyc
Long Time Contributor

Dry socket, so amoxicillin it is

Postby amyc » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:26 pm

My poor daughter got dry socket from her wisdom teeth removal, so she's going on a 10 day course of amoxicillin after all. I'm extremely dissatisfied with the level of care provided by the oral surgeon too. He hasn't even returned calls and didn't call us last night when I had the answering service page him because she was in major pain. They have a fancy office in the pricey part of town, and everything is shiny and fancy looking, ... so frustrating, and it makes me so angry. She probably developed the dry socket 3 days ago, but they wouldn't see her until today. Dammit.

I'm an Angie's List member, so I plan to roast them on there. I can't do anything else.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Dry socket, so amoxicillin it is

Postby beth22 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:50 pm

Sorry to hear that. I know that condition is quite painful. I will keep her in my prayers. Hopefully she will be better in a day or two and can enjoy the holidays.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks Roy. I have read somewhere about flagyl and mouth infections. Maybe I'll ask the doctor about that tomorrow. He's meeting us at the office to give my daughter the gunk that they squirt into the sockets to replace the blood clot and to teach her how to do it herself. I couldn't do it--I just can't make her force her mouth open so I can poke around in there and hurt her. I'm already about their least favorite mother, but my daughter deserves their attention. My husband is deployed overseas now, so I'm having to be the assertive one, which is hard for me. But I will make them do their jobs and make sure my daughter gets the best care possible.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:44 pm

Oh, Amy, I so identify. I had a similar problem years ago. The oral surgeon pulled the wrong tooth - causing osteomyletis. (Long story - one mishap after another.) Don't worry - this is different from what happened to your daughtger but same scenario - fancy, smancy practice. I just go the wrong oral surgeon. His hands shook when he pulled the tooth - should have been my first clue. I finally recovered on IV Vanco - along with oral Vanco. for C. diff.

Often plain old penicilliln (related to Amoxicillin - can cause C. diff. but not as big an offender) will work against bacteria in the mouth. Ask -- also ask about peridex - an antibiotic mouth wash that is not absorbed much. I doubt if this would work with a dry socket, however.

I was never assertive either until I had a chronically ill child. Since I became ill, too, I've perfected my assertive skills - professional, polite, and persistant and lately bordering on "bitchy." This phrase often works, "This is not acceptable."

Your posts are knowledgable, intelligant, and helpful. Remember how intelligent you are. Best of luck to the both of you tomorrow. Sorry your husband is not there. (Mine rarely was either.) Do you have a friend who could go with your for moral support? Thanks to your husband for protecting our country and to you and his family. Tough on all on all of you.

Good luck to you tomorrow. All our support and thoughts will be with you. "Go get 'em."

mray
Regular Contributor

Postby mray » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:22 pm

I got dry socket when I had my wisdom teeth removed also, many years ago. It was painful. I needed Vicodin to control the pain. I remember having to change the iodoform packing daily.

I don't remember taking antibiotics, but it was a long time ago.

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:36 am

I got dry socket in 2 of 3 wisdom teeth pulled. It is very painful, but you DO Not need abx unless there is an infection. Should be careful. They give the abx to cover their butts.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks everybody. Yes, she stopped the antibiotics after we went in to have more paste junk put in the sockets and they said everything is healing nicely and there is no sign of infection. They flushed the sockets before re-pasting and there was no blood or yucky stuff, which was great news. And yeah, they do use the antibiotics just to cover their butts in case they screwed up and were dirty during surgery, IMHO. Grr.

She is feeling somewhat better, but now her TMJ joints are sore. I guess it's to be expected after they rough up your mouth like that.

dawn71
Contributor

Postby dawn71 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:46 am

6 days of teva-amoxicillin (500 mg - 3x/day) before a tooth extraction is what put me on the c-diff train.. NEVER AGAIN!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”