Future Antibiotics

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Christina
Long Time Contributor

Future Antibiotics

Postby Christina » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Please, please, please make sure you really need an antibiotic in the future before you take one. Last month I freaked out because I found a breast lump. I first went to my OB/GYN who said it was not breast cancer (I had a mammogram weeks before) but that he thought it was an infection. He then pulled out the script pad and literally said to me "what antibiotic do you want?", I told him none. Instead he prescribed and antibiotic cream. I didn't fill it or use it. On the way home I freaked out some more and called my PCP's office and they told me to come right over. My PCP then said he was 99% sure it was an infection and to come back in 2 days for a recheck. He also said that with me we need to take the watch and wait route to see if I can fight it off before taking an antibiotic. In two days when I went back it was almost gone and two weeks later it was completely gone. I honestly don't think it was an infection at all and I am so glad I did not take anything. I am pissed at my OB/GYN for jumping the gun so quickly. I am also glad that when I went to my PCP it was better because he would have thrown me on an antibiotic and chances are I really wouldn't have needed it. I got C-diff a second time following only 7 days of Pen VK, which is on the fairly safe list, in 2008 for strep throat.That wasn't even a regular course length. They shortened it in hope my C-diff wouldn't return. Stay safe, ask questions, and remember Dr.'s don't always know everything!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Future Antibiotics

Postby Bobbie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Congrats., Christina, for "sticking to your guns" and double checking on the antibiotic. Years ago, I had fibrocystic breasts - many lumps. My OB told me he thought they were cancerous. At the time, we were moving from Omaha to Kansas.I was a nervous wreck until the results of the mammo. came in - not cancerous.

Shakes your faith in docs., doesn't it?? Congrats again on trusting your instincts rather than the medical field.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:31 am

Good for you Christina! Something similar happened to my sister a few years ago. She found a lump and had a mam. done and found out it was nothing but, a inflammed milk duct. Warm compresses did the trick. I will NEVER take a antibiotic unless there is 110% prof that I need it. Doctors my be very smart people but, they do not know everything..haha!
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

bback12
Regular Contributor

Postby bback12 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:20 pm

Christina I'm so glad you stuck to your gut.. It amazes me how some doctors could spend all day writing scripts if they could! They really need to think before they do that! Some only care about money though and getting a person in and out of the door fast. I'm glad you see everything went out and you're doing much better!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”