The waiting is driving me crazy

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
chrissy72
Regular User

The waiting is driving me crazy

Postby chrissy72 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:01 am

Waiting for the results of my stool test seems like the hardest part. I just took it into the lab today so I'm thinking it will be back by Wed.

My entire family is going through some type of virus with fever and a few episodes of diarrhea. My husband and older son were home sick today. I spend so much of my time all day thinking about whether or not I'm relapsing. I've had c. diff twice in the past, about 10 or 11 months apart. It's been at least a year and half since my last battle with c.diff. I don't have diarrhea so my husband keeps trying to get me to relax. He thinks I just have the virus everyone else has. But I don't have diarrhea, I never had D even with c.diff. But I have a gassy lower colon with some blood upon passing gas. Other than that, my stools are normal.

I have so much going on in my life right now that I totally feel overwhelmed. Everything else I can handle-except if I have c.diff. I was on flagyl the last two times and I found it to be worse than the actual c.diff. I keep going over scenarios in my head of what I plan on doing for treatment if it is confirmed that I have c.diff. Right now I feel like if it is, it's fairly mild case and I'm not so sure treating with flagyl would be the best option.

My husband and I are going to a concert on Saturday. We haven't been out to see a concert in over 10 years. We have 3 kids and one has special needs. He has autism and is also hearing impaired. We finally got some respite care for him and a babysitter for our other two kids. We're finally able to got out once in a while. This Saturday we were planning on going out to dinner and then to the concert. But,considering my stomach situation, I don't know that dinner will be a good idea. If the results are positive, I may even wait to start the flagyl on Sunday, after the concert, since I know any meds will make me feel worse.

I keep wondering what my chances are of having this since I haven't been on an antibiotic. But then again, I wasn't on any antibiotics to cause me my second relapse-and that was 11 months from the first one.

Sorry to ramble. Some days I really feel like I'm losing it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: The waiting is driving me crazy

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:26 am

I tested positive last summer about 5 months after having a stool transfer. The ID and GI both told me that unless the symptoms got bad, to just treat with Pepto Bismol. If you test positive, but don't have many symptoms, ask your doctor if there is anything else you might take like Pepto, Florastor, etc. If your family has a virus, perhaps you have it too. Hopefully, that is all it is. I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed though. I feel the same way right now. I see my GI tomorrow and we will hopefully have a plan. Stress is what made me relapse last summer - long story, but that is what it was. I took the Pepto, went on vacation, and when I came back tested negative. Since then, I have had the stool tested at a research lab and apparently I have low grade c difficile, which flares up from time to time, produces toxin, and then stops again. The GI has to figure out a plan - hopefully he will.

chrissy72
Regular User

Postby chrissy72 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:53 am

Good luck at the GI doc Beth. Please keep us all updated as to what they say.

How much Pepto should I take?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:08 pm

First, ask your doctor if it is ok to take it. I just take a little, like 1/2 caplet or less, but others take more. My GI put me on it every day, but now I can't get off of it, where last year I could. However, I do have documented low grade c diff, so that is different. If your doctor says it is not a problem to take it, try a small dose and see if it helps you. I take mine when I eat my dinner or lunch. If you don't have c difficile and only a virus, then the Pepto should help too. If you do have a positive c diff test, ask the doctor if you should try Pepto, Questran, something else, or go back on the medication. I know that more and more they are waiting to treat with antibiotics if there is no D or not much of it. I wish they had waited with me. I didn't have D with my c diff at the beginning either. The year before I was officially diagnosed, I did have it, but it went away on its own and I think it would have done so again, but I will never know. After taking vanco, I got one relapse after another because I was given a high dose and it killed all my good bacteria. I would discuss your concerns with the doctor for sure - that is what you pay him for and he needs to consider everything. Hopefully, you just got a virus. I know there was a lot of that going around here a few weeks ago.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”