High School Reunion

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

High School Reunion

Postby anlockwood » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:43 am

Ok I am having a dilemma and it is very small compared to the dilemmas some are dealing with right now but I could sure use some level headed advice from people who understand. My ten year high school reunion is this weekend. I would like to go to see everyone but am so worried about getting sick. It is in a small bar so everyone will be close and I just can't stand the thought of getting sick. My best friend who is going scares me most. Her kids have got a stomach bug that causes severe vomitting and D but it is caused by a bacterial infection that MUST be treated with antibiotics. This was confirmed by blood test and she said her kids were pretty much comatose with this stuff it makes you so sick. It even started attacking her daughters appendix. I just can't chance bringing something like that on to myself and home to my son. I could never ask her to stay her distance from me, she would be heart broken and doesn't get the whole c diff thing. I want to go but just think I will be a wreck the entire time. Any level headness advice someone can give me because I am sure I am not being the most sane person about it.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:56 am

Personally I would not go. There is nothing more valuable than health and peace of mind. Even if you went you would have anxiety and spend more time worrying about getting sick than enjoying yourself. If it were me I would plan a fun night instead with my loved ones..rent some movies, go for a walk or a picnic..
Hoping for a cure.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:13 am

I agree with Suezer. Had you asked a week ago, I probably would have said not to be a victim and to go ahead and go, but after having the worst relapse ever of c diff 3 days ago, I would not go. It is not worth it and you run the risk of bringing this other bug back to your kids. Your friend should be the one to stay home and maybe she will decide to do so, but if she doesn't then I think I would not attend.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:03 pm

I hate to say don't go because it sounds like letting the C-diff win, but like the others, my current need for abx reminded me of just how important having you health is over all things on this earth. I'm starting to think as long as I have my health I can do anything, without it, I'm useless. I'd follow the others advice and not go, and you know what, maybe plan to be at that 20 year reunion.

I'm reevaluating everything I do from here on out now as well, at least for another year, to keep my maximum level of health.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:50 pm

I will be honest, I was leaning towards not going but then I often question how much I should let c diff run my life. There is really no one I am dying to see or have missed, high school wasn't the greatest for me. I am thinking a great date night with the hubby would be best and then I have no worries. I don't understand why they had to have the reunion at a bar? Honestly only my class would be so fantastic as to do that. Thanks guys!

sangeeta
Regular User

Postby sangeeta » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:08 pm

Amanda,

I am glad you are thinking of not going, I agree with everyone else that it is not worth the risk. You only know about your friends kids medical condition because she told you about it, there might be others who may have other conditions. Not worth getting any infection.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Don't go!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Amanda - For what it's worth, my daughter had her 10 year reunion this year and neither she nor any of her friends that she still keeps in contact with went either. She said that the people she is interested in staying in contact with she does, and for the rest there is the alumni newsletter.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:19 am

OK...this is where I disagree with most of the group's opinon on this issue. First of all you're not Typhoid Mary, you have C-Diff and know that by following regular good hygiene, that you area not going to spread it. How is going to the reunion any different than going to the Grocery Store, Hospital, Doctors Office or the Pharmacy ? I've said this many times, "you can control how much of a victim C-Diff makes you" You can make all sorts of excuses for not trying to lead a normal life, but in the end ...it's going to be your loss alone. Each day that you lose, is one that you'll never get back. At least thats my attitude

Fire

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:47 pm

Hey Amanda yeah it is so hard when you feel that way. I look at everything so differently after having the c-diff I was the total opposite of a germaphobe before and now I am the worst kind of germaphobe. If you really weren't that interested in going in the first place I wouldn't bother. BUt I think I agree with Fire as well if it was something you were totally thrilled about then I would say go for it. However, since it's not you might as well not chance it. My ten year reunion was last year and I didn't go just because I see all my best friends all the time still and I really could care less about seeing anyone else. Anyway, hope you have a good weekend what ever you decide to do.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”