Here we go...

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:22 pm

Amanda - How did it go today with the root canal?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:29 pm

Amanda - Glad to hear the root canal is over. Don't know why my earlier post didn't get posted until hours later and out of sequence - oh well. Let us know how you progress. Is the pain better now?

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Roy I meant to start doing that today and I forgot! How terrible is that. I would do anything to avoid c diff but apparently remember to take probiotics. Oh boy!

The pain of the nerve is better but the throbbing in my jaw is not. I hate hate hate wait and see. I wonder if that is why God decided my challenge in life should be c diff so I can learn patience and accept that some things are out of my control. I am not handling his lesson very well that I can say for sure!

I am however trying to decide which Ab to take if it comes down to that. I could use some direction from the long timers or those that have taken them. The dr said Penicillin would be his first preference which made me sick when I was a child but I am thinking I will suck it up. I know this is considered safer and any antibiotic can cause c diff but have their been lots of posters who have had success with it? I was looking into flagyl but from what I read they only like to give that in combination with something else like pen vk or amox. So I know you are not drs just want to know what you have done yourself or seen other posters have great success with.

Once again a huge thanks to everyone on here for your support! You truly are amazing people. I haven't talked to my husband in over a week and you truly have just gotten me through this. It means the world!

Beth,
The pain is definitely not as bad as it was but still pretty strong in the jaw. I had to take a pain pill tonight. I hate those things but I guess we got to do what we got to do to get through.

Amanda

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:23 am

Amanda,
He sounds like a great endo. I agree with all he said. Sorry it's "wait & see." Hard to do but often necessary. PenVK would probably be safer than amoxicillin. (See FAQ-Antibiotics.) Check with your pharmacist & doc. If you had a reaction as a child, be sure & tell endo. & doc. this.

"Wait & see" seems to be part of many of our lives. My mother has dementia - another "wait & see" disease. Good days, bad days. Difficult to cope with day after day.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:20 pm

Well my son now has a double ear infection with a temp. I didn't get to see his reg doc today because she was out and the one we got was ignorant. When she said he had a double ear infection I asked if it is one we could wait to treat to see if he can fight it off. You should have seen the look on her face. I then said he has a history of c diff and her matter of fact answer was "Just because he had it once in the past doesn't mean he will get it again!!!" I wanted to slap her. He relapsed from the Flu and has had it twice in less then a year so how ignorant could she be. I am so tired of some people not knowing enough about c diff. My endodontist knew more then she did. I told her I will not treat today and not with her. I am going to have to take him back in tomorrow and talk with his dr. I know they will prob insist on treatment since he has fever also. I just hate this. I am definitely seeking tubes. I am going to ask them about antibiotic ear drops but I think those are only effective if they have tubes because otherwise it doesn't really get inside the middle ear to the infection. I feel so bad for him and it is frustrating because there is nothing I can do. I am ready for these last two weeks to be in the future.

Amanda

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Amanda - I know children are a little different from adults because the ear canal is shorter and all, but in Feb. I had a sinus infection that I thought had gone to my ear and I called the ID doc who told me that most ear infections are viral and don't need to be treated right away. I waited a couple of days and then had my ear checked by another doctor who told me the same thing and that day my ear was ok, so I don't know if a few days prior it had been red or not. Have you ever given him any pediatric decongestants and/or antihistamines? If so, you could give them again. If you've never given them, try calling the doctor back and asking which ones are appropriate. It might give him some relief. There are also ear drops that stop the pain - I don't remember what they are called, but they need a prescription. They could at least give you that so that he is more comfortable until you can see your regular doctor.

Beth

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Ok can I just say AMEN!!

I took my son in today to see his regular dr. She is very familiar with the c diff ordeal as she has treated him since day one. She looked at one ear and said it looked perfect and she looked at the other ear and said it was pink but not bad and didn't look like it had a lot of fluid so we should be able to wait this one out and beat it with no antibiotics. I literally cried on the way home I was so happy!! LOL! She said she is happy I didn't listen to the dr yesterday(who works in her office). I am just feeling so absolutely blessed right now and am just so happy my baby is okay for now! One day at a time.

Amanda

LindaSp
Contributor

Postby LindaSp » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:36 pm

Good for you, Amanda! You are your child's best advocate!!
Best wishes,
Linda S

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:05 pm

Alright Amanda! I know the emotions that go with C diff and I am so glad your child is getting better. Hang tough as you have been and we are with you!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:59 am

Amanda,
Glad your son is OK. I've heard, too, that some ear infections can be viral. Also, many peds. now use antibiotic ear drops instead of oral antibiotics if they feel it's a bacterial infection. (I'm not sure if they can tell which one it is.) I read one study that said kids treated with antibiotics didn't fare better than kids not treated re. ear infections. My younger son (the one who had C. diff.) finally had tubes inserted. They were a Godsend. Kids ususually outgrow ear infections as they mature, and the Eustachian tubes enlarge. Antibiotics/antihistimines can be helpful.

A nurse told me that if a child cries during an ear examination, it can cause the ear drum to "bulge" and give the appearance of an infection.

Again, I'm glad your son didn't need treatment.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Just wanted to send hugs and thanks to everyone for your support, thoughts and prayers through the last couple of weeks. They were rough but we made it through. My son is still battling the ear infection in one ear. He has been tugging at it but unless he has a sky-rocketing fever we are not going back into the dr until Friday for a recheck. I myself beat my cold pretty painlessly and am still healing from the root canal/jaw infection but think that my body is kicking it. I have so much to be so thankful for because there are a million different ways all of that could have gone much worse so I just feel really really blessed right now. I was going to rave about how great zicam nasal gel was at beating my cold but now it has been recalled. I was so bummed because it worked miracles. Literally every cold I have ever gotten before has settled in my chest as bronchitis and I thought this one was too but it cleared up by the next day. Cold only lasted like 6 days total and it was so mild because of the Zicam. Unfortunately apparently you can lose your sense of smell from it so they took it off the market. Funny if they would let me I would still use it.

Sangeeta, I still have you in my prayers. Have been wondering how things are fairing for you. Hopefully there has been some improvment.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”