Ugh..Sick- is this a Virus or?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri May 22, 2009 2:15 pm

sks001 wrote:
After doing this for a couple days, if did not clear up, would boil the water and add cut up onion and/or garlic which are natural antibiotics & breathe in 3 or 4 times a day for two more days.

Thanks! This is day 8 and the "infectious goo" was still present upon waking. Getting a bit desperate, so I cut up a big white onion, boiled it up in a pot of water and inhaled the fumes. Surprisingly this "totally"opened things up allowing me to rid my sinuses of some of that "goo",alot actually. My ear popped and I can hear!
I will continue this 2-3 X for the next day or so. I will let you know if this kicks it.

At the very least my house smells like someone has been actually cooking something. (I dont cook a whole lot) haha
Hoping for a cure.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:55 pm

Suezer - So very glad it seems to have helped you some. 8 days seems like a long time to me, but others more knowledgeable say it took them 2 weeks to clear. As I said, my friend would do the oils for 2 days, then the onion and/or garlic for 2 days, then would go into ENT for a culture on the 5th day if didn't feel it was helping or starting to clear, but if it was helping would just continue rotating another 2 days of oils. then another 2 days of the onion/garlic until it was finally gone., making sure to do it 3 or 4 times per day.

I would get some of the eucalyptus essential oil and peppermint essential oil at a health food store to keep on hand for next time as that is what my friend used to use for the first two days she felt an infection coming on.

Wonder if the grapeseed extract that Trob suggested that naturepath said was also a natural antibiotic like onion & garlic can also be used in the inhaled boiling water. Mucinex wasn't even on the market back when she was my friend, so taking that too sounds like it would also help. Do think keeping very well hydrated helps.

Hope you feel even better tomorrow and don't have to take an A/B. I'm really interested if this ends up curing your infection or not.
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 23, 2009 12:02 am

Are these oils a food product or what? What section would you find them in? The only peppermint that I am familiar with is peppermint extract that you add to foods - is that it? Do let us know how you feel. The sinus infection that I had in Feb. was the first one that I beat without AB in many years - especially with the horrible looking secretions. In the future, I am going to try the oils and the onion too. Good information - thanks, Sandy.

Beth

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sat May 23, 2009 2:34 am

Beth - Essential Oils are not food flavorings and NOT to be taken internally - they are made from flowers, plants, trees, etc. Some are used for aromatherpy to make your home smell nice or to relax in a bath and are sold at places like Bath & Body Works. Others are used for theraputic purposes for treating different medical conditions and are sold at pharmacies and health type stores. These have to be used VERY carefully. My friend's doctor must have been open to alternatives as he recommended this to her a very, very long time ago and he was a MD in a prestigous building of different specialty physicians at that time. Too bad I don't live in that area anymore as sure could use any good, nice, caring doctor that thinks outside the box.

You can Google it to find out more about them, but here is a fairly good explanation from the Univery of Minnesota about using them in conjunction with your doctor as alternative treatments, and that some hospitals are even using them:

http://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/exp ... omatherapy
Sandy

Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 23, 2009 2:41 am

Thanks, Sandy. I'm going to try that next time I get a cold.

Beth

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sun May 24, 2009 11:24 pm

The good news is that the Onions seemed to help me kick it. I feel almost 90% back to normal, yahooo!

The bad news and some advise..do not eat pork and beans..crampy all day!!
Hoping for a cure.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:41 pm

Suezer - Just wondering how you are doing three days later.

It's funny, I almost didn't post about the essential oils and garic/onion being naturual antibiotics as it was not my personal experience using them.

I feel like I'm getting a respiratory infection or pneumonia as my chest is really tight and hard to breathe (I"m on Advair and not helping). I emailed my Home Health Aide to stop on her way here Friday at the health food store and pick up the essential oils, and some Mucinex. In the meantime, I'm going to try breathing in the onion today and tomorrow. Luckily, I called my elderly neighbor that gets my mail for me and she had an extra onion and brought it to me.
Sandy

Southeast Michigan

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Wed May 27, 2009 7:48 pm

I am cured. The infectious colored "goo" is gone, now just some clear usual stuff. The pain and pressure have also resolved. I was convinced this would not go away,it was truly one of the worst sinus infections I have had and I am shocked and amazed that I got thru it without an antibiotic.

One other thing I did between inhaling the "onion" vapors, was sort of like hydrotherapy. I got 2 wash cloths, I had a bowl of ice water, and the hot water running. I took one wash cloth immersed it in the "hot" water and pressed it to my sinus area over my nose/under eyes. Held for 1-2 minutes, then immediately took the wash cloth from the ice water and put it over the same area. Repeated this 2-3 times every few hours. It supposedly triggers an immune response to the infected area. Not sure what kicked it for me exactly, I think the combination of things and just taking good care of myself.
I also bought and drank crystal light "Immunity" packets that you dump into bottled water. All the good infection/virus fighting vitamins ect..

Thank you for the great suggestions (everyone). In all it took 11 days but I kicked it.
Hoping for a cure.

texaslady
New User

sinus infection

Postby texaslady » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:53 pm

thank you so much for all the info, I have chronic sinus infections and have just been "lasting" them out. Using the Neti pot . I have always just used salt, will try and find the grapefruit seed extract I am willing to try anything to avoid the antibios. Mine is so bad, I can smell an odor that is hard to explain and disgustingly I think its in my own head. lol. I don't post much here, its been a year since my big C , but I read the postings , I feel for those going through it, it is a terror to even think about going through it again. If anyone has any other suggestions for the sinus problems, please post, thanks.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:11 am

Glad you found some helpful info from this thread.

Seriously try the onion chopped up/boiling in water..inhale the vapor thru your nose(keep your eyes closed of course!) I also used Nasonex ( you need an RX for it) alot of times there is so much swelling in the sinus that the mucus sits stagnant, and then bacteria start to grow. The Nasonex reduces the swelling and allows every thing to move..when the mucus is able to move it can be expelled easier, thus the infection will be minimized.

Good luck, and let us know how you are doing with this!!
Hoping for a cure.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”