This kind of thing should NEVER happen! Re: colonoscopies

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
klt03301
Long Time Contributor

This kind of thing should NEVER happen! Re: colonoscopies

Postby klt03301 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:38 pm

VA clinic warns of possible contaminant exposure :

http://news.aol.com/article/va-clinic-w ... 066?cid=14

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:24 pm

It is my opinion this is surely not an isolated case and does and has happen. This is why unless absolutely without a doubt a HAVE TO case I will not have any invasive test done.
Cindy

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:19 pm

Cindy, it's definitely made me re-think my decision about having a colonoscopy later this month. I've rescheduled for April, but not too sure that I'll have it. I seem to be doing OK...don't know that I want to rock the boat (even though I'm still having a few issues). I seem to be getting better with time, and if this continues...um, nope...I think I'll pass unless it's absolutely necessary!

I can't even imagine getting a letter in the mail or a phone call informing me of something like this. I'd be LIVID and terrifed.

Karen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:43 am

This has been in the news before re. scopes & catheters using "unclean" equipment.

Karen, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Any test has risks. Sometimes they are worth it; sometimes not.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks Bobbie. I'm not doing it. I know my doc will be disappointed, but unless I become very ill again, I'm not having any invasive procedures done!

Karen

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:45 pm

klt03301 wrote:Thanks Bobbie. I'm not doing it. I know my doc will be disappointed, but unless I become very ill again, I'm not having any invasive procedures done!

Karen

I say good move. I don't think drinking a massive amount of laxative and having an invasive procedure done is a good idea if you are getting better. My first crazy GI wanted to do one, as I mentioned, while I was still on Flagyl and actually recovering, I canceled it, then was fine for a month before PI-IBS set in on a periodic basis.

I think if I would have had it done that I would have had a C-Diff relapse, I just know in my head that drinking all that laxative would have finished me off at that very early stage of recovery.

Now if I got worse and the Flagyl didn't work, I would have had one done, but when you are getting better, I say no need to rock the boat as you mentioned.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:25 pm

Basically if I were on the mend there would be NO WAY I would agree to a colonoscopy because of the prep which upsets the gut flora and could possibly wipe out some of the good guys you have built up at this point. Obviously, if I had other issues going on other than cdiff I guess I would be forced but if it were only cdiff NO WAY.
Cindy

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:54 am

I'm singing to the choir at this point and also have been cauteous not to contradict someone's doctor but whether it was the introduction of C-Diff during a colonoscopy or the loss of flora, I had a relapse after one. If you've never had one (sorry I don't recall) you should have one at some point, though. I read an article by a GI in a doctor's office. He said that gastro patients are tough because their problems are hard to diagnose and solve (he felt mostly because they were often the patient's diet and that the patiend doesn't do enough to help themselves) so GI's have a habit of trying to appease their patients with tests. The article wasn't in the context of C-Diff but it stuck in my mind. Does he really believe a colonoscopy is what's in order at this juncture or is it a way of appeasing you while making money. Of course their liability is foremost on their minds these days, and for that I can't blame them. for the time being, good decision.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:21 am

This is an absolute outrage that something like this happened to both colonoscopy and endoscopic equipment and it went on for 5-1/2 years before being discovered; and even worse, there has been absolutely nothing on local or national TV news about this. I'm going to send this to every media outlet I can as this is particularly close to my heart.

I can't put a number of the hours, days, weeks and months I spent over 25 years at VA Hospitals from the famous Walter Reed, to Allen Park, Ann Arbor & Battle Creek in Michigan, to Hines/Maywood NW or Chicago, with my brother who was a paraplegic after being shot in the spine at 18 years of age.

It's a damn shame that our men and women fight for our country, leaving family and children behind for years at a time, and come home maimed or crippled, if they aren't killed, and don't receive the best medical care in the world; in fact, so many have to fight again when home to get the treatment they need.

If not for Bob Woodruff getting injured in Iraq and his efforts to bring stories and documentarys on those seriously injured and what hospitals are doing or not doing to help veterans, there probably wouldn't be anything on the news if Bob Woodruff were not famous.

I can't imagine all these veterans receiving a letter nonchalantily saying "Oh, by the way."

Sure makes me wonder about our regular hospitals. I got C-Diff after touching something filthy in the ER. Got a bad problem after having an Endoscopy in Oct. 2007 that has never resolved (I posted about it at the time). Makes me wonder now if it was from contaminated equipment.

I'm old enough to remember when veterans didn't even have telephones or TvVs in their rooms. Most veterans have to travel a very long way to a VA facility, even to other States, and ridiculous that family couldn't even call them.

Not relevant, but Murfreesboro, TN was where my deceased parents were both raised (it's a suburtb of Nashville).
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:35 pm

Think many of our posters developed C. diff. after a dental visit because they were given Clindymycin by their dentists. Nasty stuff. I think most dentists here are very "clean" re. their instruments, but it doesn't hurt to ask

I have a standard remark I made to all dentists/docs. "You know I am a germaphobic -- with good reason -- so please wash your hands." Most "take it" OK.

I've also read that stethoscopes & dental & hospitals scrubs can be loaded with "bacteria." Some hospitals are not allowing docs to wear long sleeved uniforms anymore because of the long sleeves "brushing against things" & attracting bacteria.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:07 am

Bobbie,

You're so right about stethoscopes being loaded with bacteria, blood pressure cuffs also. When I was in Isolation Room for 18 days in hospital, I had my own of these two that were left in my room. Trouble was, they hung them on the IV rolling cart and who knows when or if the IV cart had been disinfected, as well as the bed rails, over-the-bed table, phone, TV remote, emergency bedside commode, etc., etc., etc.

As I had never heard of C-Diff and didn't find this site til a couple months after, I had no idea about 10% bleach solution. Person that cleaned room only wiped off over-the-bed table, mopped the floor a bit & cleaned the bathroom, but not the door knob. I never smelled bleach. Saw her do the same routine on the room directly across the hall from me using same equipment that was not an isolation room.

I've seen stories about the short-sleeves. What confused me about that was that doesn't bacteria stick to the skin too. Emphasis about washing hands, but what about arms. If you watch TV shows or documentaries on surgeries, doctors scrub with a brush up to their elbows before surgery.

On a lighter note, it was either on an episode of ER or House that a supervisor or administrator told a doctor to quit wearing ties after the tie brushed over a patient he was examining. Later, he had not discarded the tie, and the person that told him to do so picked up a pair of scissors and cut if off at the knot - was soooo funny.
Sandy

Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:47 am

From "Medical News Today" ... 3,260 veterans who had routine tests at Miami's VA Medical Center are thought to be at slight risk of infection from hepatitis or HIV because the hospital discovered that a section of tube used in water pumps for colonoscopies and other gastrointestinal procedures was only being rinsed and not disinfected.

Article also refers to the initial post regarding a different incident.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/143427.php
Sandy

Southeast Michigan

LindaSp
Contributor

Postby LindaSp » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:14 am

Not to throw fuel on the fire, BUT, there are recent articles about the bacteria found in bath basins that, yes , we as nurses have used to hold many items when you are a patient that hold residual bath water and breed....The rooms are crowded, the equipment high tech, bulky and necessary.My recent thoughts are that we need to eliminate all the extras that families have demanded to make the rooms "comfortable" and home-like. A patient is in the hospital because they are sick and require professional care. Too many reclining chairs, balloons, flowers, food...How do we get through to families/patients that have become so empowered with the idea of "excellent customer service" that your health care needs SHOULD be delivered in a clutter-free professional environment? When I bring a patient into a room from recovery, I can hardly make my way IN the room. A hospital stay is NOT the time to resolve guilt, have family reunions, or bring newborn babies. The lovely group from church should not be cluttering the hallways in prayer.If the patient is terminally ill and quality family time is the goal, an acute care hospital unit is not the place for the patient.
Help us help you please,
Thank you,
Linda

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:56 am

Excuse me, Linda, but I don't see what your post has to do with medical equipment not being properly sterilized in Veterans hospitals and clinics putting our service men and women in danger which is what this topic is about.

Most veterans have to travel great distances to a VA facility and, thus, are far away from most family and friends. VA facilities are very different from most local hospitals.

Perhaps a moderator or administrator will move your post to a new Complaint topic.
Sandy

Southeast Michigan

LindaSp
Contributor

Postby LindaSp » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:58 am

Thank you Sandy. There is a connection to my post if you look a bit deeper. My husband is a veteran of Vietnam, made a career of the military and so I probably do know something about veterans. You made my face flush with your attitude. Thanks. It won't happen again. I have, however, learned alot from the site in general for my daughter, so I am not sorry. You could take a tip from Bobbie's leadership for the site.
Linda

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”