Lingering Spores - I don't get it.

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Lingering Spores - I don't get it.

Postby feelinghopeful » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:39 pm

What I don't get about these damned spores is why they aren't all eventually eliminated like everything else that goes through your intestines. If we didn't shed them I'd think, okay, they cling to your intestines but we do shed them. Are there some superhuman spores that are like crazy glue or what? If you've killed the bacteria but have lingering spores, I just don't understand why they aren't all eventually gone at some point. It's not like I have five year old pieces of broccoli in my intestines. We have to have bacteria left that's kept in check by the other bacteria and these take over if you subsequent to C-Diff have to take antibiotics because this spore things seems unlikely to me. How can you keep shedding them, infinitum? Where are they coming from? Is it like loaves and fishes?

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:19 pm

I guess I think about these things because I'm trying to figure out if there's a way out of the C-Diff loop. I was thinking the bacteria that's left behind after active C-Diff (which reproduces - the spores obviously don't) makes spores in response to the acidity level created by the healthy bacteria, since C-Diff spores when it's threatened, and the bacteria doesn't like high acidity which is why it's more prevelent near the descending colon, furthest away from the stomach. Also possible or even probable is it spores when it exits the body because there, too, it's threatened. The spores have to be coming from someplace and I just can't imagine the spores left behind scenario explains it all. I'm thinking if you can truly get your intestines into a condition where the C-Diff bacteria can't survive, perhaps the spores the bacteria made will eventually run out.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:06 pm

I onder of small ampunts of ingested Manuka HOney can kill the spores too??????????????

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:53 pm

To Date there is NOTHING that kills the spores to my knowledge or none of us would keep this condition. Some people have gut flora that keeps them in check while others (like myself) continue to be bothered. All the vanco and flagyl do is kill the bacteria from the spores that produces the toxin which makes us sick. It keeps it in check therefore once the meds are stopped BINGO the spores start producing all over again unless you are fortunate and your flora battles them off. I have been told be numerous doctors that once you have cdiff you will have cdiff spores in your body lying dormant waiting for any opportunity to present themselves once again. Hence, all of us have to be very careful with taking antibiotics. Hopefully there will be a drug in the future to kill the spores.
Cindy

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:53 pm

C. diff. is not the only spore-producing infection. MRSA is another.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 93209.html

Anthrax and botulism (form of food poisoning) are others.

http://pathmicro.med.sc.edu/fox/anaerobes.htm

Spore-producing organisms are difficult to treat because the spores can thrive in dark environments (such as the GI tract) & don't need oxygen.

An anaerobic organism is any organism that does not require oxygen for growth and may even die in its presence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_organism

When my son got C. diff. way back in l979, I did all the research I could -- didn't have Internet then. Went to medical library at U. of NE Med. Center.

Check this info. out with your doc. as I am not in the medical field.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”