Doctors - Ugh!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
duhfur
New User

Doctors - Ugh!

Postby duhfur » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:58 pm

My gasto doctor is frustrating me! I've had c diff since April and been on multiple doses of flagl and vanco. Two weeks ago he put me on alinia and said if this doesn't work he's not convinced it's c diff and could be something else and wants to do another colonoscopy. The first one in May didnt show any inflammation. My husband thinks he's concerned my old doc mised something in colonoscopy.

Here's what I don't get. He acknowledged I still have it because my test was positive and he agreed with me that you can smell it.

So what's point of another colonoscopy if I still have it? He absoultely refuses to consider a fecal transplant because he says it's only been done handful of times and there's no clinical trial. I tried printing out stuff but he wouldn't even listen.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:53 pm

Doctors can be very difficult when we have had cdiff for a while and they are not able to cure us. They often seem to think it's our fault, but then they do not want to listen to our ideas. What I did when my GI doc gave up on me, after my 3rd relapse (and after I had given him info from this site on pulsing, which he never even responded to), was to find another doc. I found an ID doc who did listen and was willing to let me try pulsing, which is what finally worked for me. So I would recommend that you look for another doc. A good doc during this disease is worth their weight in gold.

My opinion is that a colonoscopy won't be helpful, but who knows, maybe it will be. I think docs should treat us based on symptoms, and not put us through a lot of miserable and often unnecessary testing.

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:34 am

It burns me up just reading about your experience. Would you travel for a doctor who would do a transplant? Do you think your doctor would at least give you a referal to a doctor who might do one for you?

After I had it and it worked I went back to my GP for something else. She turned to her assistant and said, "she drank poo to get rid of C-Diff". I could not believe it. I'd printed her an entire folder of information about transplants in the hope that she would help out by having my donor tested but no, she said it sounded like voodoo and wanted nothing to do with it. And then this last bit of brilliance on her part a year later. Well, no thanks to her, I got one and so far, knocking on wood, am doing very well. The most imporatant thing is, I'm not on Vancocin anymore. It's just not good to keep taking that stuff. It's really kind of scary.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:31 am

If you want to see something special, fire your Doctor just like the Donald...been there and have done it. Doctors work for you, and you pay their salary. You don't have to put up with an attitude. Popping a out of control ego, makes them a better doctor with future patients. I've made monetary bets with them on test results and they hate to lose. It doesn't take long and they will listen to you. If they don't ,then it's time to move on and find someone who will. Where did I learn this from...the ER Doctors that I work with. You very well may know more about C-Diff than they do..offer to share what you know and don't be afraid to refer them to the site. What we forget from time to time is that we tend to intimidate Doctors with our knowledge of the disease, and that makes them uncomfortable and stupid, so they get defensive.

Fire

duhfur
New User

Postby duhfur » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:04 pm

I agree, it's time for another doctor. I just hate doing it because it takes forever to get in.

I've tried tapering but not pulsing. I want to do that and if doesn't work I am want to do fecal transplant and yes I am willig to travel.

I managed to get into ID on 11/11 and will talk to them about it.

I have learned a lot from this and most importantly that I don't trust doctors whole heartedly.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:55 am

I'm glad you're seeing an ID doc. Although I wasn't thrilled with him on my initial visit (acted like it was no big deal and it was a BIG deal to me); I grew to like him and trust him more than my other docs. I don't have complete trust in any doctor since my C Diff experience and it's certainly changed the way I veiw them in general. They are not God, just human like everyone else, and make mistakes like the rest of us. We know our bodies better than they do and sometimes it's hard to get them to understand this. When you have a doc you don't feel comfortable with, it's time to move on! Best of luck to you!

Karen

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”