Feeling blue

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
HennyPenny68
Contributor

Feeling blue

Postby HennyPenny68 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:09 am

At 40 years old, I feel like I'm doomed! I'm on my 3rd bout of c diff and all because of antibiotics. The problem is that I can't live without antibiotics either. For some reason, all my life I continue to get upper respiratory infections, whether it starts in my sinus, throat, or bronchial. This last time I had an infection, I did EVERYTHING to try to avoid getting the c diff such as yogurt and probiotics and I STILL got the c diff. So now I just feel like I'm going to go from infection to c diff, infection to c diff. There's no hope. Sometimes I wonder why I fight so hard to keep going. It seems like I try to do everything to get better and yet it seems like it's to no avail.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:56 pm

First of all you have to stop beating yourself up the reason that you are sick is not your fault so beating yourself up for it is going to do you no good. Have all your Upper Resp. infections been proven to be bacterial? If they have NOT I would question my Dr as to way he or she would be giving a antibiotic. There are things that they can do to test for bacterial and non bacterial infections and with your history of Cdiff I would be asking for those test to be done.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how your doing.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:17 pm

Hennypenney- ANYTIME you take an antibiotic you must insist that they give you vanco at the same time and if you do relapse it will not be as severe and only last a few days. I understand your depression- I have been dealing for 7 years.
Cindy

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:25 pm

Henneypenny:

This may sound weird but one of the mental health staff at the Hospital has been dealing constant sinus issues for the last couple of years. She went to an Accuputurist as a last chance. She's been 6 times and hasn't had a sinus issue since...Just something for you to consider. There's no antibotics involved. It might work for you.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:03 pm

HennyPenny68,
See FAQ-Infections. Some of the "tips" might help you.

I was healthy except for allergies & an occasional bout of bronchitis until I developed sinus infections in my 50's. (Worked in a "sick building" & also live in "Sinus City" - KC.) I responded well to antibiotics until Vantin in l993 which contributed to a nasty case of C. diff. that lasted 4 yrs. I kept developing other infections which were bacterial ( pneumonia & osteomyletis) which required antibiotics thus extending my C. diff. Finally "the broth" (see Doctors- Dr. Mark Allen, KC worked for me the 2nd time. (The first time it didn't work.)

I do a lot of "natural" stuff -- but not without checking & doublechecking it. Many infections (including bronchitis & ear infections) can be viral & not antibiotics. Make the docs. prove to you that you need an antibiotic. I had sinus surgery which was a Godsend. I also do saline irrigation (see FAQ-Infections) twice a day. If I don't brush my teeth right after a meal, I get an oral infection. I also have frequent eye infections & might have an immune disorder which requires a biopsy of your savilary glands to diagnose. (No thanks -- don't need another "label.") I have chronic UTI's that require a "preventative" dose of Macrobid & other meds. I'm not comfortable with this but don't think I have another choice.

I just got back from two weeks in the UK where my son & his family live. Everyone (including my husband who seldom develops resp. infections) developed a horrible cold & cough. I took Echinachea (for the 2nd time in my life) & washed my hands constantly. Something worked. I would, however, check with other sources before trying it. Remember, I am not in the medical field & can't give medical advice.

My son also had C. diff. & has had frequent infections ever since but there are other factors involved.

I do know how you feel. You overcome one obstacle & another appears. So discouraging.

You might see an immunologist. (I did without much luck.) Also an allergist -- again without much luck. I tried an Accuputurist --- also without much luck. Others, however, have tried these routes with success.

I get pneumonia easily but keep up with my pneumovax shot. There is also an immunization that protects against some ear infections -- think it's called HIB. Check with your doc.

I took Vanco. the 2nd time I had pneumonia (& another antibiotic) but it didn't protect me from C. diff. It has worked for others, however. Again, everyone is different, & there are no "hard & fast rules" with C. diff.

Can see why you are discouraged. Been there done that -- & still alive. You'll make it, but it is difficult.

HennyPenny68
Contributor

Postby HennyPenny68 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:27 am

Stupid dial-up internet!! Our server was down all weekend and couldn't get back on the board.

Thanks all for the replies and encouragement. It helps not to feel so alone in this. Everyone keeps saying to have the doc test and prove that it's bacterial and not just viral but how do they do that? I've tried asking my doc to test but all they say is by checking my white blood cell count and if it's high that would prove it but that wouldn't necessarily be an accurate test for me because mine is usually high anyway from not having a spleen. I know that the majority of my infections are bacterial and not viral and I think that they stem from my severe allergies. Unfortunately, like you Bobbie, I live in the second worst area for allergies. I've been doing everything I can to treat my allergies as well and so far it's been to no avail also. I've been doing the shots for a year and a half and I haven't noticed a difference in symptoms. Today I'm going to another allergist and getting retested and then I'm getting switched over to allergy drops instead of the shots. According to the allergy doc, he said he's noticed the drops seem to be more effective for inhalant allergies than the shots. I hope he's right.

I was wondering about the idea of taking vanco along with the antibiotic. Does it really help? It seems that most of my c diff reoccurence happens several weeks after taking the antibiotic. Wouldn't it be better to wait and see? I know I don't want to even consider taking another antibiotic but I know in my heart that it's not even realistic for me.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

NASAL RINES...

Postby TheVike » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:35 pm

rinses twice a day at least! Do you smoke, and how polluted is the air around in which you live?

HennyPenny68
Contributor

Postby HennyPenny68 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:03 am

I already do the nasal rinses and yes they do help. No, I don't smoke and can't stand to be around where there is smoke. I know the air is a lot more polluted where I live now than where I lived before so that doesn't help. I usually try to stay indoors more when I start having signs of a problem but it's so frustating because I enjoy the outdoors so much!

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:25 pm

HennyPenny- I had constant problems with sinuses while trying to take different probiotics. During this time I felt it was all allergy (outside elements) related. I was told about AirSource 3000 by Shaklee which are air cleaners and pretty expensive. Out of desperation I bought two-----one for upstairs and one for downstairs and trust me they have made a world of difference in my life. It does require me to vaccum far more frequently as it pulls everything out of the air to the ground but I can breathe so much better it is unreal and worth it. I also do not plug up at night any more which is a true blessing. Of course after purchasing these units I stopped all probiotics except reuteri and all my stuffiness cleared. The doctor speculates that I was somewhat allergic to the probiotics but I feel it was the airsource that made the difference.
Cindy

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”