Feeling brushed off! GRR!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
MathGeek
New User

Feeling brushed off! GRR!

Postby MathGeek » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:49 am

So, I have a complicated history, it's under case histories (MathGeek) but basically I was dx'ed with Ulcerative Colitis, and then 4 months later someone finally ran a c-diff test, and low and behold I have c-diff. In the mean time they had been treating my UC with prednisone, I was on a steady dose of 40 mg... at one point up to 60 mg. The c-diff was having a grand old party in me. I also gained 20 lbs (on my already ample frame) becuz of the pred, and I have lovely moon-face, etc.

So, since this all began I've been having sharp, shooting pains in my gut. Mostly on the left side, feels like someone stabbed me with a knife. Also sometimes when I bend or move it feels like someone is vertically stabbing me, (like from my ribs down).

So, I call the GI to let her know the pains are back now, full force. I finished my Flagyl 3 days ago and so far so good. No D. But some other things are still around, which from reading here are normal while healing. (I won't go into details since this isn't the TMI board). BUT, the pain is annoying to say the least. I just wanted to know if it's normal.

So I wait patiently for a call-back. Two days later, I get the call back from a "patient coordinator" (secretary) who relays the message that my pain doesn't sound GI related and I should see my family doctor.

Are you kidding me? I was a little miffed. NOT GI RELATED? I feel like ever since they found out I had c-diff, they are brushing me off. The problem is they are unsure if I have underlying UC with c-diff complication OR just c-diff. I was given the chose to "assume" I had UC and start Asacol OR I could finish the c-diff treatment and wait to see if the UC would "declare itself". Well I don't like maybes... so I went for option 2. This pissed her off. So now I'm just a waste of her time.

GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGH!

*vent over*

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:06 pm

MathGeek,
Believe it or not, but your story is similar to many on this site.
(l) misdiagnosed
(2) doc. isn't sure what to do
(3) refers you on to another doc.
It could be called the "doc. shuffle."

If I were you, I'd try to find another GI ASAP. If you feel there is something wrong, you are probably right. check out Doctors or call a teaching hospital & ask for a referral & say you want a GI who specializes in C. diff. and ulcerative colitis.

Unfortunately, many docs. seem to have the attitude that, "If I can't fix you, it must be you."

This has happened to so many of us. When my 4-yr. old son had C. diff. in l979, his ped. dropped my kids as patients (had been our ped for l3 yrs.) & I had a devil of a time finding a new one. My son had C. diff. twice & I had it twice many yrs. later -- the lst time for 4 yrs.

Many docs. seem to "shy away" from people with C. diff. Perhaps it's because it can be "doc. related" -i.e. linked to a antibiotic a doc. prescribed.

Be persistent. Find another doc. When he/she doesn't return your calls, call back & say, "Hi, it's me again."

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:07 am

MATHGEEK- Time to move on to a different doctor. Either this doctor is not that experienced in dealing with cdiff patients or very hurried and figures if you become full blown again then they will treat you. Either choice is unacceptable. I learned a long time ago to search until you find a doctor who listens and one who has some understanding of cdiff or is willing to read articles you provide to them showing you are not alone in what is currently going on with your body. Finding a good doctor makes your life a LOT better. Time to move on friend OR make an appointment and educate this doctor...........most likely at this point in my battle I would as I have a low tolerance factor but in the early days I just wanted to find a good doctor and moved on. Thank God I have one now.
Cindy

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”