How do people go to work with this monster?!?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Katy
New User

How do people go to work with this monster?!?

Postby Katy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:45 pm

I've been wanting to ask this question, so here it is - how do you all function day to day with c-diff? How do you go to work when you have this?

I am due (according to my doctor) to be released off of disability at the end of February and I'm scared to death that I will keep getting c-diff. Then I sit and wonder, how the heck do you go to work and hold down a steady job when you can't even get away from the bathroom??

I was originally put on disability for depression and this is only "state disability, which means it ends after 12 months. My 12 months is up at the end of February, and now I have c-diff. WHAT NOW?? Nobody seems to have any answers and when I talked to the State Disability Office the lady said, "Well, there's always food stamps, and maybe you can get some help from a county program." Gee, thanks lady!

I don't know what I'm going to do financially speaking. There are no "programs" for people my age without children and I am a single person, so there is no other income coming in. I'm scared to death that I won't have any income after next month. Thank God I rent from my father, but I certainly can't depend on my parents to support me financial for what could be an undeterminable amount of time!

So my questions are:
1) What are you all doing in your situation?
2) How do you get through a day at work with this?
3) Does anyone know if Social Security covers something like c-diff?
4) How did/can you explain something like this to your boss? (especially when they probably wouldn't even know what it is!)
HELP!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I'd like to hear "your story" of how your surviving financial. The cost of all the meds and supplements is just killing me!

Thanks for your help :)

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:35 pm

Katy:

Work is not an easy issue. I'm a career Firefighter/Medic who has been dealing with C-diff for years. Fortunately I have a Chief who also has had a brief bout with C-diff, so he understands the "punies". There are days when it's all I can do to pull the shift, but then you get the satisfaction of knowing that you're making ground at getting back to normal. This is a real roller coaster of good and bad days, but you've got to force yourself to be as normal as possible. You'll figure out what helps you get through the day like a couple of Pepto Bismo tabs or Gas-X in your pocket. It will get better with time and you can help by trying to exercise as much as you can handle. Remember a little at a time and you will get stronger and healthier. This is not an easy fight...you've got to believe that you can and will beat it. There's an amazing amount of info and support on the site, use both as often as needed, remember you're not walking and dealing with issues where no one else has been.

Waterpoo
Brand New Poster

Re: How do people go to work with this monster?!?

Postby Waterpoo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:45 pm

I know I'm not supposed to, yet, I use Imodium AD to get through the night shift. 5 million sq. ft. facility and my bathroom access is about a minute or two walk. Keep spare clothing on hand as well as clean-up wipes, etc. Imodium is bad because it slows the colon down, allowing the bacteria to grow, yet, I have found no other way to get through the night without soiling myself.

I did not know about the disability thing and wish to know more. I am in CA and C. Diff is not on their list. I know Social Security covers Ulcerative Colitis, which has very similar complications, but, not C. Diff.

This is new to me as only 3 weeks ago. Researching everything I can, from diet to probiotics. Soonest Gastro Dr. appt. is June. WTF? Trying to push for earlier date based on severity. I could be dead by then?

Too embarrassed to tell my boss. Don't know what to do, but, I'm gonna have to tell employer soon. They already noticed my increased trip to the loo.

Best of luck to all.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: How do people go to work with this monster?!?

Postby AllisS » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:32 pm

The original post is from 2008 (!), over ten years ago.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”