divrticulitus now this

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
need help
New User

divrticulitus now this

Postby need help » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:01 am

I am a 38 year old active male. was diagnosed with diverticulitus two years ago. had several attacks and opted for surgury for removal. I was told that this was the only way for a better life. I was released from the hospital 4 days after surgury I was still a mess from it. a few days after getting home I got a very high fever so I went back to the hospital er almost died from a very bad case of c diff. those bone heads took 3 days to find out what was wrong with me. when they finnally asked for a stool sample I quickly provided one. It sat in my bathroom for a entire nurses shift. I had to ask the next to please pick it up. Iwas treated with vanco 500 mg evry 6 hours for 10 days. I got better thought I WAS OKAY. One week later I got real sick again. thought muy guts were being wrung out like a dish rag. Went back to the er got a X-ray after I told them about having c diff. no stool sample or anything they said my gut was paralized for some reason so I was prescibed some pain killers and sent on my way. well of course I was back the next day in severe pain same er doctor was there. and orderd a cat scan. I was demanding a stool sample for cdiff at this point. so the doctor came back and said I had cidiff because my colon was swelled. still no stool sample. My wife had to force them to take one they did and sent me home with one 100mg vanco pill knowing not a phamacy aroud had vanco on hand, we made that clear, still they would not admit me. so I had to wait another day for meds at this point I am about to die. I have my meds now and I am 3 days into them any advise from ya'll would help if this second round of vanco does't work I dont know what I will do cant afford another dose right now
Had surgury for diverticulitus and woke up with something worse, c diff how do you beat it?

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:03 pm

As for the cost of the Vanco, there are previous posts where we discussed have your Doctor prescribe IV Vanco that has not been mixed into a liquid. You reconstitute it yourself by adding liquid to the powder and then taking it orally. My last course of Vanco if I had taken the pills would have cost over $1700.00, using the other method less than $70.00. If you choose to do this, you must refrigerate the mixture and shake it well before you take your dose. Have you pharmacist figure out the mixing ratio for you. Just another option to consider. Welcome to the roller coaster and wonderful world of C-diff, the place none of us want to be...

need help
New User

Postby need help » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:47 pm

thanks so is this stuff availible at phamacys and does the doctor have to prescribe this way?
Had surgury for diverticulitus and woke up with something worse, c diff how do you beat it?

need help
New User

Postby need help » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:53 pm

almost forgot my vanco was 2,700 for a 10 day supply 500mg six times a day. my insurance for the year just relapsed I now have a 6000 dollar a year deductible before any benefits are paid including prescriptions. boy how could I know this was going to happen.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:21 pm

Your Doctor will have to write a script for it. I'd discuss it with him and explain the cost difference. Most of the Doctors I know will agree to it. If you know your Pharmacist talk to them about subsituting it for the pill form. Do a search on site for the post... How much did you pay for your Vanco....C-diff casues more than it's fair share of issues, at least we can work on the Vanco cost issue. I paid the $1700.00 price more than once, I got lucky and had a good friend for a Pharmacist who enlightened me. Depending on the doseage, you'll get 2 to 4 doses per container.

need help
New User

Postby need help » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:49 pm

I paid 2700 dollars for it I did not knowthat a drug could be this exspensive this is crazy. and thank you so much for the info

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

diverticulitis removal surgery

Postby maryinflorida » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:59 pm

Did you have a colon resection? Besides the cdiff complications, how did the surgery itself go? Did it solve your diverticulitis problems? I am considering having the surgery but I now have to wait until I clear the c-diff infection I got while on antibiotics at the hospital for my last diverticulitis flare-up (the worse I ever had). My doctor asures me starting on vanco 5 days before surgery and continuing after will prevent a relapse during the resection proceedure and recovery.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:26 pm

Maryin Florida- Do not bank on not relapsing after surgery just because you are taking vanco. I had been taking vanco (at some dosage) for 3 years when I had my appendix and gallbladder removed in 2004 and I had a relapse on the 5th day after surgery while still on vanco!!! They upped it to maximum dosage which did bring it under control with 48 hours but TRUST ME- it WAS A RELAPSE!!!
Cindy

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:40 pm

MaryinFlorida:

I had the resection proceedure done 4 years ago lapriscopically and was only in the hospital for 3 days and off duty for 3 weeks. The surgery was a breeze. They had me up, a bowel movement, and walking 6 hours after. There are some minor issues to deal with, like learning to recontrol your bowels muscles since some of it won't exist anymore. That is a very short learning curve, the other is learning to control your gas ( same issue ). All things considered, Id do it again if I had to. I've talked with some others who have had the same proceedure done, and all have had the same results. We all agree that the Lapriscopic is the only way to go. If you have trouble finding a surgeon to do this. I can refer to my Surgeon who pioneered and is teaching this nationwide. Lot's of luck, I hope that it doesn't come to surgery, but if it does,,,you know my thoughts

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:54 pm

Thanks for all the input. I am not looking forward to any surgery (my last one was a c-section 22 years ago!) but I think I have to do it. My last diverticulitis attack was bad enough to land me in the emergency room plus 5 days in the hospital on an IV. I am sure that is where I got infected with C-diff, since I had antibiotics before (at home) without any problems. I have a laproscopic surgeon that has been very highly recommeded by all my other doctors and several nurses at the hospital, but who is the expert you mentioned? I worry about ending up with a colostomy (my mother had one) so I want to know as much as possible about colon resections before I do it. Also, have you followed any special diet (more fiber, no nuts or seeds, etc?) since yours?

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:16 pm

Maryin Florida:

Dr Joe Frankhouse at Good Samaritan Hospital in Portland Or, just call up the hospital and his contact info is on the page. I've had no issues after the proceedure except for C-diff relapses which we think was caused prior to and was most likely the cause of the colon infection that warranted the surgery. If you've got to have it done, then laprisccopic is the only way to go. If you ahve more questions, I'll be here, and I've only got a 3 inch scar under my navel. I know that's a concern.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:15 pm

MaryinFlorida:

You asked about diet restrictions...there are none !!! To quote my GI
" you're on the see it, want it, eat it diet . If it bothers you then stay away from it, otherwise eat healthy"

need help
New User

Postby need help » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:31 am

I guess I would say the surgury was not bad. I was in a lot of pain for about a week. those of us with diverticulitus are in alot of pain during a attack also. as far as youre question about the procedure I am diverticulitus free now. they removed my entire sigmoid colon 18 inches worth. I got c diff shortly after my surgury, I cant really tell you if I fell normal beacause I am still messed up with c diff.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”