Are you tired of everyone asking how your feeing today?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
nerenberg
New User

Are you tired of everyone asking how your feeing today?

Postby nerenberg » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:57 pm

I am so tired of everyone asking how I'm feeling today. I know I sound like a jerk for not appreciating their concerns but I still have not had many consecutive good days. As you all know everyday is a toss up. I've only been battling this since the end of September and am starting to accept the fact that I may continue to battle this for a while. I think my husband is even tired of this question. He usually doesn't even ask me and just knows by looking at me. Anyone have a great way to respond?
Emily

mayotte
Contributor

Postby mayotte » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:25 pm

I know how you feel!! I have been dealing with c.diff and its aftermath since Feb., and I still get asked everyday by family members who call and want to know how I feel. I usually saay OK, and just change the subject. I know they can tell what I am doing, but sometimes I feel like such a drag if I tell them I don't feel all that great. My husband doesn't ask anymore...he can tell.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:45 pm

I agree whole heartedly...I'm so tired of hearing " so how are you doing today?" The folks asking are genuiely concerned, but they don't realize that it just reminds us that we're not at the level we would like to be. Any more I just reply that I'm riding the rollercoaster and it could very well change within the hour, that usually satisfies then or confuses them to where they don't ask for a while. If that doesn't work then I reply "it's just another day in paradise and go do something else. If you stay busy enough you can take yor mind off of the issue and it's lovely symptoms for a couple of brief moments.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:59 am

Everyone is different. Some people resent questions about how they feel ,& others welcome them so it's probably hard for friends/relatives/co-workers to know "which category" you are in. You can always reply, "Same old, same old."

Few people asked how I was when I had C. diff. (4 yrs. the first time) & I didn't explain -- just said I had "a reaction to an antibiotic." No gory details. When I got pneumonia (5X) & osteomyletis, there was more concern. Some friends who know I have a rotten immune system & can't take antibiotics don't hesitate to expose me to their "colds." I finallly decided I have to take care of me & don't hesitate to move away from "sickees" or when I visit a doc. ask if he/she washed his/her hands between patients.

I was raised to be "nice." Doesn't work when you have C. diff.

No one who hasn't had C. diff. can possibly understand what it does to you physically & mentally. I think it's because we trusted people we were trained to trust --- doctors -- and the medicine they prescribed (usually in good faith) caused a disease many of us have lived with for years.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Trust me guys---if cdiff decides to hang around for a long period of time like it has for me people become very distant and totally lack any compassion for your state of well-being. It is almost like they feel you should be well or dead by now. It has been more than 6 years for me now and I NEVER have a full week without problems relating to cdiff or arthiritis which was brought on by the cdiff. Family and friends make it a point to ignore any subject related to my illness and definitely do not want to hear about it. I totally oblige them and have even told my family (who are totally sick to death of the whole thing) that if I decline offers to go places or choose to stay at home on the sofa all day...........DO NOT ASK WHY NOR COMMENT as we all know the reason and it is better on me to avoid rude, non-compassionate comments as I do not need them as well as all the junk I am experiencing. I never realized until this illness how most of my relationships were based on me being well and FUN, party planner, babysitter & any other accomodating fun loving person. Truly has changed my outlook on how I will be IF I EVER DO GET WELL!!!!!!!!!
It is bad enough to suffer with pain, cramping, frequent diarrhea and overwhelming fatigue without the thoughtless comments made from disrespectful "WELL FOLKS"!!! Every dog has their day and I always remind myself of that when one of them make their comments. HANG IN THERE GUYS WE HAVE EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!HA!!!!!!!!!
Cindy

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:19 pm

I guess I am going to be kind of the black sheep on this subject. When I was sick most of the time I wanted people to call or come over and ask me how I was doing. It's not because I wanted attention or anything like that it just that if I was having a "good day" I wanted to share it with someone and if I was having a "bad" day I wanted to vent and cry to someone. The people I really leaned on was my oldest sister (Kim) my friend Cindy and my fiance Jeff. My sister and Cindy would call me everyday and would come and see me at least once a week.

These were really the only people who knew that I was sick, I didnt share it with a lot of people.

Just remember that the people that are asking your "how you are doing" really care and are worried about you and really want to know how you are doing otherwise they wouldnt be call you and ask. Also I agree with Bobbie if you are tired of the question just say "Same old,Same old" that is a nice way to answer there question.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

peanut
Regular Contributor

Postby peanut » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:46 am

cindym...love your thoughts and totally agree with you

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:06 am

Thanks Peanut.......I tell it like it is at this point in time! I have experienced it all!
Cindy

sndrped
New User

Postby sndrped » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:14 am

I just say, with my fingers!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”