Why don't they put a C-diff warning in the drug information?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Greg's Mom
New User

Why don't they put a C-diff warning in the drug information?

Postby Greg's Mom » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:56 pm

I just checked the printed information that was given with my son's Cipro prescription. There is no warning about C-diff, just that you can get diarrhea. Well I think most of us know that is always a possibility. But C-diff is a whole other problem, as anyone who posts here knows. I questioned the pharmacist about it and she said they only list the most common side effects. My gosh after reading posts here, I would this is a common side effect. Does anyone know if there are any class action lawsuits concerning antibiotics that have caused C-diff?

Greg's Mom
New User

Even if they do list it as a side effect, they need to

Postby Greg's Mom » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:20 pm

specify what C-diff is. I think most people have no idea what C-diff is, unless you are in the medical field. My sister-in-law who works in medical records had heard of it, but did not know what caused it.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:35 pm

I believe most of the print outs now include a warning about pseudomenbranous colitis which is C-diff in it's worst form. I know the few I have filled for my kids recently have it listed as did my Grandmother's Cipro she was taking for a UTI. Also, most of them state if you do develop diarrhea not to take antidiarrheal meds.. This is do to C-diff as it can cause toxic mega colon if you do.If you don't know about C-diff you may not know this,though. I do think they need to flat out state it but before, there wasn't anything.It's a slow start. The FDA also just past a law for certain antibiotics to have C-diff on their printouts. Those are the antibiotics more likely to cause C-diff. Check media reports.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”