Just need to talk!!!!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Jodie
Regular Contributor

Just need to talk!!!!

Postby Jodie » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:57 pm

Hey guys, been going thru hell lately and have to get it off my chest. Well, I've been on Vanco (off and on,mostly on) for about a year now. Gotten many infections and always kept going. Now this tooth thing is giving me a run for my money. Keflex, Levaquin, Flagyl, did not work. It felt like the clindamycin started to work but wreaked havoc on my belly therefore having to stop it. Still have diarrhea, stomach cramps, pains, etc. and still taking the vanco. Well, now dentist wants me to start doxycycline. I will I guess if my stomach calms down in the next few days. Called my ID doc who was pretty great and she is on extended medical leave and the dumbo who has taken over for her is clueless.....I called today to get a stool sample testing and he said go to the hospital!!!! I said Dr. Fallia told me to get stool sample when I started feeling bad and the new doc said if you are having diarrhea and feel that badly, go to the hospital, stool test will do nothing! I've already been to the hospital a few times I told him and always the same thing : c-diff Oh my, back to square one. Almost out of vanco and only doc who understood anything is gone....I also feel like I am immune to antibiotics!!! The dentist read to me the Vanco warnings in his dentistry book and I jus felt like crumbling. He gave me the impression that I've been on it so like that if I get meningitis, etc. I will probably be immune to the vanco ...what??? At this moment I am soooo confused...

Thanks guys, Jodie

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:35 am

Jodie,
I am so sorry to hear that you are going through such a bad time. Many people here have taken vanco for more than a year. My understanding is that resistance to vanco is very rare. Maybe you need a higher dose? I'd check with my doc about that and hope he is not totally clueless.

Also, if you take a stool sample while you are on vanco, it most likely will be negative, and this probably will be a false negative. Several folks here have taken doxycycline (mainly for Lyme disease, as I recall) and most have no cdiff problems due to it. So if you take it, I wish you well.

Cdiff always gives up eventually, they tell me. Know that that day will come for you. Hang in there and don't give up.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:39 pm

Jody,
I also had various infections while dealing with C. diff which prolonged my recovery. I was on oral Vanco. (plus IV Vanco. for 6 to 8 wks. for osteomyletis) at the same time. I didn't develp a resistance to in all this time although when I had C. diff. (pneumonia) the second time, it didn't work as well.Several on this site have been on Vanco. for years -- believe it has been 6 yrs. for Cindy, but she, too had complicatons from other infections.

I wouldn't worry to much about resistance to Vanco. altho. it might eventually be a possibility. Also, remember while on it, you can still have "bad"days. Hope the ID you like returns soon.

Clindamycin is one of the antibiotics linked to C. diff. I'd try to stay away from it, if possible. Levaquin is another frequent offender. See FAQ-Antibiotics. It contributed to my 2nd bout with pneumonia.

Several on this sie have taken Doxy. w/o a problmm, but everyone is diferent. I would make absolutely sure you need another antibiotic. I always call pharmacists (seveveral) re. new meds. Or do some checking on same of the more reputable medical sites (listed in intro. in lst forum.)

This is an antibiotic rinse (Peridex) that will treat mild infections. You might ask your doc. about it. very. What are your dental problems?

Nancy is so right. If you've been on Vanco. or Flagyl recently, you'll probably test positive. Best to wait 10 to 14 days if you can. See FAQ-Tests.

Jodie
Regular Contributor

Postby Jodie » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:24 pm

Thank you guys so much, I really needed some words of comfort...I still just don't understand why I keep getting all these other infecions......

Jodie

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:26 pm

Jodie- I have had to take antibiotics for surgery and did develop cdiff again full blown however they upped my dosage of vanco to 500mg 4 X per day for one week and it brought it back under control. It is scary when this happens but hang on because you will get better. Talk to your doctor about upping the dosage for a few days 5-7.
Cindy

Jayne
Regular User

One thing leads to another

Postby Jayne » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:21 am

Jodie, I could feel your upset/frustration when I read your situation. (Hey that rhymes). Having something like c.diff effects our digestive system, which in turn affects our immune system/health. This makes it harder for our bodies to ward off infections. I recommend always trying the smallest "gun" 1st-but we also require more thorough investigation of our Non-c.diff problems, so that ABs are not used unnecessarily. I used to work for a dentist & ABs were sometimes given "on a hunch". I don't know any details or history of your dental problem, perhaps you are at the point where they ARE necessary. Sounds like Doxy might be a safe bet & perhaps increasing Probiotics during that might help. It was also a good reminder to you that when you're on Flagyl/Vanco c.diff tests most often result in false negatives, so they're not all that helpful. What you said about the doc problems..Ooo I can relate...nothing worse that being at the mercy of a "merciless" doc. It can add to our trial for sure. Thing to remember is there are other docs out there somewhere who do care. Hope your goodguy is back soon. Hang in there!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”