Gee......here's a thought

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
L.S.
Regular User

Postby L.S. » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:51 pm

Perhaps if the Fed Gov made CLEANING hospitals a priority, I mean sterilizing bed rails, floors, intstument, hands, etc..) part of Universal Precautions, in other words, made it MANDATORY, this may help reduce the number of c-diff cases.

Perhaps if Dr. had more information on this terrible condition instead of passing it off as a virus, it would be treated in time and there would be a reduction in cases overall.

Perhaps if we scream loud enough, a cure will be found........soon.

It makes me so mad that in a country like the US, with all it's technology, this condition is becoming more and more common. We don't live in a third world country, why can't they find a cure for this (&(^(&*&^%$#$ !

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:29 pm

L.S.

I am a hospital worker and I can tell you that Hospital's do use "Universal Precautions" and they are mandatory. I feel pretty safe in telling you that the room that a patient goes into is probably "clean" when they first are admitted into it. It is day's after that they probably pick up the Cdiff bug and they can pick it up in a number of places ex: ex-ray,surgery..ect. There was a artical I seen that I belive I posted in Media Reports that Dr's lab coats are sometimes not washed for days! Patients can pick it up that way, there are so many ways that this could happen it is unreal!

I understand your anger belive me. I have worked in a hospital for 10yrs and I know that I picked up Cdiff working in the hospital at some point in that 10yrs but, I am not blamming the hospital or myself. It just happend and you have to deal with it. It is easy to point fingers and get mad and you have every right to but, you just have to try and forget about all that and focuse on getting better. I went though the same thing that you are I was mad as hell! I didnt want to talk to anyone, I wasnt working (thank you flagyl!!) I couldnt function, I cried all day and was just a basketcase!! Once I got back to work (and got on Vanco) and started doing all my everyday things I forgot about being sick and started feeling normal again!
The best thing for you to do is try and keep your mind off of it. I know that it is hard to do but, in time you will be able to.

I can tell you one thing getting Cdiff opened my eyes to one thing and that is handwashing I have become completly OCD...lol! I am also spreading the word about Cdiff at work and else where. I had never head of Cdiff before I got it and now I am tell everyone about it!

I hope this helps a little.

Let us know how you are!
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:38 am

I totally agree with Heather. You need to keep busy and focus on getting well. It will go away and you will get better but getting so worked up will only make things worse.

I didn't get c-diff in the hospital.I got it from taking antibiotics for 3 years straight for acne. Yes, I am angry at the Dr. who did this to me but I told him about his mistake and I moved on. Had I focused all my energy in him and what he did I would still have C-diff today. You need to focus on fighting to get better.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:26 am

I am an avid handwasher -- but not excessive. I wash only: after bathroom visits, when I come home from someplace (my mother is in an assisted lving & I am there frequently), before fixing food. & esp. if I've been around someone who is obviously ill.

I kept a "clean" house & insisted both my sons wash their hands when they were young. My younger son has health problems -- including C. diff. twice as a child. His living quarters are a "pig sty" although he is personally clean.

My older son graduated in microbiology. He lives in England with his family. They have 2 children & are expecting a 3rd. They are wonderful parents & enjoy the kids. Their house is "squeeky clean" as is the kitchen, and they wash their hands before cooking. She is a wonderful cook & fixes nutritious meals.

They aren't much into handwashing except for the above, however. We will get off the tube (subway) & go home & the kids (4 & 2) will eat w/o washing their hands. The 2-yr. old will throw food on the floor, & they'll pick it up & put it back on his high chair. They have 2 cats who crawl up on the table. Gasp!!!

Last year when we visited, the 2-yr. old vomited several times as did his mother. I got "whatever it was" (maybe food poisoning) & spent 8 hrs. on the bathroom floor in the motel. The 2-yr. old also had a cold -- & recovered quickly. Both my husband & I developed pneumonia when we returned home. (We were on the "tube" a lot, however, & in crowds so who knows where we "picked up" the problems.)

They have just moved & are rehabing an old house for a B&B. We are coming to "help" for two weeks the end of August. Before we come, I am Emailing my son & asking that handwashing be implemented while we are there since I have numerous health problems & am getting more "senior" by the minute.

However, both children are healthier than either of mine were. Neither of them has ever had an antibiotic although they have frequent colds in the winter.

Go figure!
Last edited by Bobbie on Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L.S.
Regular User

Postby L.S. » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:39 am

Thanks all for your responses. It's great that we are all able to learn so much by simply exchanging info.

I worked in a hospitial lab (making rounds on floors) about 10 yrs. ago for over 10 yrs.. I've since gotten out of the field. I am aware of Univ. Prec. .......but...have witnessed many from the cleaning staff who's sense of hygiene leaves much room for improvement. I.E.: Wiping bed rails with a wet cloth that was never rinsed (jumping from one bed to the next). Med.staff that do not take the time to wash in between pts.. I've never seen the cleaning crew wipe door handles or elevator buttons. These are just a few examples.

Bobbie, I can relate to the 'over handwashing' I am a 'germ-a-phobic' by nature, which, perhaps contributes to this (immune system does not have a chance to build resistance - like your grandchildren did). Maybe there's something to be said for not being sterile........lol, but handwashing is essential.

I posted a question/poll asking of those who had a relapse of c-diff, how many stopped the first round of Flagyl due to its side effects. How and where would that poll be posted?

Thanks all. My prayers for a speedy recovery, good health and happiness for all.

L.S.
Regular User

Oooops, forgot to mention......

Postby L.S. » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:51 am

I am focused on getting well but it doesn't stop there. I became very angry when I stumbled upon this site (and others) and saw the numbers of those suffering with this. I am concerned for everyone who has contracted this, not just myself. If we're not heard, the problem will get worse.

I forgot to mention that I contracted this after finishing a round of Clindamycin for an acute tooth infection.

At best, I think these pharm. companies should invest some of the trillions of dollars from their profits and put WARNING LABELS regarding c.diff. Furthermore, everyone, especially the med. community, should be better educated about c.diff AND probiotics should be handed to pts. the same time the antibiotic RX is given.

Be well all.

L.S.
Regular User

Please see other post

Postby L.S. » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:49 am

Please read my post under "Questions about c.diff"; "I made more noise".
Thanks and have a great day all.

nikki0294
Contributor

Hospital Cleaning

Postby nikki0294 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:22 am

For 4 years at a very reputable major cancer hospital in NY city I watched as they cleaned our room. My daughter was in and out for hospital stays sometimes for weeks others for a few days over this time. I was appauled at how they cleaned. The same bucket for each room, same cart with dirty wheels. Even the same toilet brush!! Yuck!! Each time after they would clean I would break out my own supplies and clean as well. Throughout the hospital there are purell wall hand sanitizers too. It was so important that the kids on the cancer floor stayed healthy as most of them had no white blood cell count due to the chemo. One bug could kill them or set the chemo schedule back and cause the cancer to come back. I think back now how my daughter stayed so healthy and I really don't know. Now that I have c.diff I have learned that hand washing is better than just purell. I wish I knew then what I knew now. I think I would have spoken up more back then regarding the cleaning practices.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:20 am

nikki,
Sounds as though you've had more than your fair share of hospital experiences & their hygiene practices. It was undoubtedly thx. to you that your daughter stayed healthy.

We have to "speak up" for ourselves & our loved ones. Sometimes we are the only one who cares. Also, always contact the head of Infectious Disease if you have a problem. The ones I've contacted have been very cooperative.

I had another round of doc. visits last week prior to my trip tomorrow & asked each doc., "Now here's my ever-popular question, Have you washed your hands between patients? Not received well by several (altho they did wash -- did a crummy job -- need Handwashing l0l) but the others were fine with it. If we aren't assertive, we (& our families) will suffer.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”