here we go again

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
mayotte
Contributor

here we go again

Postby mayotte » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:14 am

It has been 5 days since I cut down from 2504Xa day of vanco. to 1254Xa day. Am starting to have symptoms again, but my doc thinks I should be cured! GRRRRRRR. I am going to an infectious disease MD in 2 weeks. Hopefully he will be of help. It irritates me so that doctors think you are crazy when you have symptoms when they say you shouldn't. After 6 months with this, I think I know my body. Oh well, one day at a time. I know it can be worse!

ms7168
Regular User

Postby ms7168 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:43 pm

I hear you!

I am on the third round of medication (Vancocin 250 x 4 plus Rifampin 300 x 2).

The durn disability committee absolutely insisted upon doing a stool sample in the middle of the round. Well duh! Sure it will be negative and it was. So now they are returning me to work because I am "cured".
Ha! We all know better. I hope like heck I am but am almost willing to bet that I am not!

My Dr. keeps telling me that he has never treated anyone else who didn't get over this in one or two rounds of medication. Shows you how much he knows.

mayotte
Contributor

?

Postby mayotte » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:18 pm

What is rifampin? What does it do? i have read about it, but have not been given it. How long have you had c.diff and what treatments? This site seems to be the only place to hear from people who have ideas on treatment, and have faced the challenges of the medical profession!

ms7168
Regular User

Postby ms7168 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:45 am

Rifampin is another anti-biotic that when given in conjunction with Vancocin is supposed to help give it a 1-2 punch.

I had surgery in May and they gave me Clindamycin IV before, during and after the surgery :( I had c-diff when I came home but I didn't realize it yet. When it was diagnosed they gave me Flagyl and it did nothing for me at all. I saw my primary care physician when I only had three days of Flagyl left. He prescribed me Questran and said that he would call me in a round of Vancocin so that I could start it immediately upon finishing the Flagyl. That is what I did. The difference was like night and day. While the Flagyl did nothing but cause bad side effects the Vancocin made me feel better almost immediately. By the time I got to the end of it (you take it for two weeks) I felt nearly normal. But then only three days after I finished the two week round I relapsed. That was when he put me on Vancocin and Rifampin. I am at the end of that now. I take the last one today. He is talking about either pulsing or tapering the Vancocin if this doesn't do it.

mayotte
Contributor

Postby mayotte » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:07 pm

Thanks for the info. Hope you are doing OK today.

ms7168
Regular User

Postby ms7168 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:57 am

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”