Dad's nighmare

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
BintasGirl
New User

Dad's nighmare

Postby BintasGirl » Mon May 21, 2007 12:37 am

My dad, a hearty 82 year old, entered hospital 4 1/2 weeks ago for surgery to repair an aortic aneurism. Prior to surgery he reported no bowel problems, no stomach distress. Day 2 after surgery he had a hemmoraghic bowel movement, and I was told he had a "red spot" on his colon after a colonoscopy was done. Day 3 he developed breathing difficulties while still on the ventilator, and I was told he had emphysema due to smoking (he smoked small cigars occasionally). A lung scan was done. A CAT scan was done for who knows what--it would be the first of about 3 or 4. His hands swelled enormously, then his feet. Day 3 or 4 constant urgency set in--on and off bedpan all day. Ditto day 5. On day 6 he leaves ICU, and dr. finally has stool sample sent out for c. diff. , which return positive. He is given flagyl.
Warning signs were not posted on his room door, and he was not moved to a private room, until day 7. No one ever told his guests to be careful handling anything. Somewhere about this time he gets another colonoscopy and an endoscopy due to bloody stool. I'm told he has a huge gastric ulcer that he must have come in with and which may be cancer. His stomach now hurts when it hadn't before. Despite this, his hospital diet includes pizza, spaghetti, ice cream, and fried crab patties. No response to complaints about this--in fact one doctor told me that it was an old wives' tale to suggest that diet had anything to do with ulcers. Maybe, but I know that tomato sauce sure can't help once you've got one. At some point vanco is added to the mix. A pic line is inserted because nurses claim they can't find a vein. He develops a blood clot in his leg, and in his arm. The cast of doctors keeps growing, as do the tests.
Nurses and techs come in and wear gloves, but not gowns. He soils his bed pad and gown, and they don't get changed unless his friend or I complain, even when his food arrives. Excrement soiled gowns remain in his room for days, as well as various other soiled objects. Cleanliness does not seem an issue to nurses, doctors. his room is, frankly, dirty. This is a large, regional hospital, and I'm given excuses like "nursing shortage" by a doctor. Exactly 4 weeks to the day he was moved to a rehab facility. He is no longer on vanco. He has explosive diarrhea. He still has a fever. Still on oxygen. CAT scan ordered (no results yet). Nuclear medicine scan ordered (no results yet). He is receiving insulin despite no history of diabetes. Yesterday Dad's lady friend was given a bag with his clothes and asked to take them home and wash them. She opened the bag, dumped the clothes in her tub, and found them covered in excrement. She had the presence of mind to put on gloves, remove the clothes and seal in plastic bag, and bleach everything.
I am so frustrated, and so angry. I know I have to let go the idea of blame, but it's hard. He's my dad, and my kids' only grandpartent. He's depressed, weak, unable to feed himself, and despairing. He feels he'll never be the man he was just one month ago. Thanks for a place to vent.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 21, 2007 1:07 am

BintasGirl,
Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST & its subtopics. They will guide you in using the site & answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s & Dr. McDonald’s articles and some of the topics in FAQ that interest you – especially FAQ-Hygiene, Nutrition, & Testing.

I am so sorry for what your father & his family are going through. The hospital he was in sounds atrocious -- his treatment, his diet, the hygiene, etc. I would contact the head of the hospital & the head of infection control & complain. I would also complain to the AMA and any of the "powers that be" that govern hospital care in your area.

Is he seeing a GI? I would demand he see one if he isn't already. Since he still has explosive diarrhea, I would ask why they have taken him off Vanocin. And why do they have him on insulin if he doesn't have diabetes? Most hospitals have choices in diet. Docs. diagree about the need for a bland diet with C. diff. but many concur that it is wise at the beginning of the infection. Also, did the colonscopy indicate that he does have C. diff. ? Was he on any antibiotics before or after surgery? They can contribute to the disease or he could have also "picked it up" in the hospital -- especially with the hygiene you describe.

Hygiene is of primary importance. The staff (including docs. ) should all wash their hands --as should his visitors.

I am appalled but his treatment & am sure others on the site will concur.

Remember, "Squeeky wheels get the grease." I'd squeek to anyone who would listen to me.

Let us know how he is doing. You & your father have our hopes & prayers.

BintasGirl
New User

Dad's Nightmare--continued

Postby BintasGirl » Tue May 22, 2007 6:13 pm

Update: Dad has been moved back to the hospital from rehab. White cells up, fever fluctuates between 99-101, no one wants to talk C diff. Drs searching for "site of infection," and as I suspected, came up negative. CAT scan showed nothing, white cell scan nothing. Echo cardio today negative. However, he's back on vanco & flagyl. Official reply--"the stool analysis is negative for C diff," although one physician today admitted that his symptoms are consistent with "a raging C diff infection." I've asked about a gastro-enterologist and was told that in this hospital, an infectuous disease person handles "infection." Actually, the hospital's internal medicine group seems to be in charge at this point (the players seem to change every few days), although an IM doctor shows up once in a while. Dad's on so many meds and can hardly stay awake, doesn't eat, barely talks. Chest congestion and coughing are back. I've been going in circles and am very, very frustrated. Why all the tests looking for the site of another infection? He's following a very logical pattern, if I read Dr. MacDonald's article correctly.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue May 22, 2007 10:04 pm

BintasGirl,

Yikes! I too am appalled by your dad's treatment. That is truly awful. I am really sorry for him, for you, and for your whole family. Have you been able to talk to anyone of the hospital honchos about it?

I had better luck with an infectious disease doc than with a GI doc. How long was your dad off of vanco or Flagyl before his stool test was done? It's best to be off 10 - 14 days, to avoid a false negative. I hope his docs are aware of the high frequency of false negative test results with cdiff. I felt awful on vanco plus Flagyl, couldn't eat, could only drink Gatorade. I did much better on vanco alone. Maybe this might help your dad? Good luck.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”