Send complaints of clindamycin to FDA

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Amber
Brand New Poster

Send complaints of clindamycin to FDA

Postby Amber » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:11 pm

I am currently recovering from c.diff after being on clindamycin for dental surgery (my ex-dentist doesn't think this was a big deal!). I have learned the hard way that clindamycin is the "No 1" antibiotic which wipes out all good bacteria in the gut and is still widely used by older dentists.

I would urge anyone with a similar experience with clindamycin to report this event to the FDA, as I have done, using the following link.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... online.htm.

It only takes 10 mins and hopefully we can get this awful drug more strictly regulated or taken off the market.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:24 am

I agree, Amber. Clindamycin was the first antibiotic implicated in causing C. diff. - yet it's still around. Vantin (also a cephlasporin) "got" me. I contacted the FDA -- to no avail. It's still around but not used with the regularity it was in l993 when I took it. (My ENT told me the first 3 patients he prescribed it for got C. diff.) See FAQ-Antibiotics. Also, see FAQ-CDC to report your case of C. diff.

Hope you are better.

vrennell
Brand New Poster

Reporting Clindamycin Threat

Postby vrennell » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:34 pm

I just tried the link provided and got an error but was able to navigate to the correct location which is under the FDA's MedWatch program:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... online.htm.

I advised that if this med remains prescribed that it should require a mandatory good bacteria RX (or whatever) with it so you have a chance of not developing symptomatic C DIFF (everyone who takes the stuff problaby get's C DIFF but who knows if it is ever diagnosed).

sltinucci
New User

Postby sltinucci » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:27 pm

I too am suffering with Cdiff due to using Clindamycin for dental work. It's been 2 years in March. I am suffering right now and have been since December. I am on Vanco and have tried to go off twice and still tested positive in March. It's so depressing. I'm bloated and in pain most of the time. The doc is really concerned but just doesn't know what to do. I've lost my job due to this illness and am now trying to get on SS disability. Nobody really understands what we're going thru and it's hard to explain to someone who hasn't had it. Thank god for this sight. I'm going to try the oreagno oil as I've used it for sinus infections and it does help. Good luck to everyone, I know how you all feel!!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:58 pm

Info. on contacting FDA is in FAQ -- both web site & toll free phone #. Believe info. is up-to-date, but try it.

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:56 pm

sltinucci,

Unfortunately there aren't alot of options with the mouth. Penicillin VK is the best choice and more narrow spectrum, but most people say they are allergic to it. It's questionable as to whether many people really are or not.

Most people with heart problems don't need prior antibiotics - they are now only recommended for those with:
- mitral valve prolapse
- rheumatic heart disease
- bicuspid valve disease
- calcified aortic stenosis
- congenital heart conditions such as ventricular septal defect, atrial septal defect and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy

Here's a link to more info. from the Amer. Heart Association, released 4-17-07:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-04/aha-mpd041907.php

Here's a bit of copied info. I just posted elsewhere:
My daughter works for an Endodontist and she has warned him about cdiff and told him my story (he's also in NC where the epidemic strain is almost endemic now). He said he's done some research but said there is nothing else that works for a tooth infection except penicillin or amoxicillin which most people are allergic to (or say they are) so more broad spectrum antibiotics are most often used; he uses Keflex sometimes too if they are allergic to penicillin but tolerate Keflex. For pre-meds they use the same things. They prescribe Clindamycin only if the others can't be taken; and last resort is Augmentin if the infection is extremely bad and/or no other antibiotic are working. Penicillin, as Bobbie said, is the lesser evil.
~Sheila

sltinucci
New User

Postby sltinucci » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:07 pm

I am allergic to Penicillin which is why I was given the other. Anyway, thanks for the info. I keep looking at this site and different people's problems with the cdiff. My friends and most family members do not understand why they can't do something for me. I know I have a good doc and he's doing everything he can. I seem to have a resistant strain. It's hard for me as I was so outgoing and always doing something and now I seem to have isolated myself as I am not up to doing much. Laying down on the heating pad is about all the comfort I get. I don't like talking to anyone as they keep trying to get me to do colon cleansing or some other recipe they have heard about, but my doc says not to do colon cleansing and to just eat whatever I want. Nothing seems to make me feel better or worse. Except maybe this sight has helped. I know my family can't understand why I'm not energetic anymore but what can I do?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:55 pm

Thx., Sheila.
Posted info. in FAQ-Dental Work.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:15 am

sltinucci,
Yes, cdiff can be a lonely disease, when our family and friends can't understand why we feel so awful, and they get tired of hearing about it. That's one of the reasons why this site is so great. We all know what you are going through. You are not alone. Have you tried tapering or pulsing off of vanco? Pulsing was what finally worked for me. There are other ideas here about what has worked for folks in beating cdiff. They tell me that everyone eventually beats it. Good luck.

sltinucci
New User

Postby sltinucci » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:46 am

nancy1 - The doc says I have to be on the Vanco Until Mid May, then he's going to try the pulsing - one month at 2 times and one month one times per day. This is my 5th relapse, 5 hospital stays and 1 surgery and 2 years plus later. This time isn't as bad with the D and no fever. I've gained all my weight back and then some. I'm mostly bloated, in pain and go to the bathroom 4 or 5 times a day. I guess I just needed to vent. Everyone in my family has been supportive, but as you say they do get tired of hearing about you not feeling good. And - it keeps them from doing the things we used to do too! It feels like I'm a prisoner. I'm trying to make myself do things, but then I'm that much more fatigued. Every days seems to be better - this is just such a slow process to recovery.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:24 pm

sltinucci,
As a suggestion, you might try Bentyl for pain and Prevacid for bloating. We're not docs, but other folks here have used these and find they help. I surely remember my days of being chained to the toilet and fearing that I would never have a life again. You are right, it is a very slow process. Cdiff definitely teaches us patience. I was never very patient, but we have no choice.

Nan
Regular Contributor

Postby Nan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:27 pm

sltinucci,
I am sorry to hear that you have been suffering for so long. It has been over two years for me also, from Clindamycin for dental work, and also allergic to penicillin. With a dozen relapses under my belt (so to speak), my biggest “social” issue with this disease is not being able to plan too far ahead, but I can function OK while on Vanco. I always have to say I can go if…. Or I can watch the grandkids for you if…. I figure family and friends are sick of hearing about this from me, which makes this site so valuable to all of us. Those of us who continue to suffer need to hang in there and eventually the beast will “go to sleep”.

sltinucci
New User

Postby sltinucci » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:44 pm

Nan,

Thanks for responding. It is nice to know that I'm not alone. This site has been a great help to me. My grandkids live up North and want to come to grandmas for a visit, but I don't have the stamina to keep up with them As I have a pool and they are 5, 4 & 1. You have to keep an eye open all the time at that age. Last time I had them for about 5 days and was crying on the last day as they exausted me. I love them so much and I know I'm missing out on a lot not being able to have them with me. I also worry they will catch this ugly thing. I'm waiting for the doc to call in some pain meds and find out about my last sample to see if I'm still positive or not. I do feel a lot better than when I went to the docs 2 weeks ago. As long as I stay on the Vanco I'm fine. But as soon as I try to go off - I'm relapsing again!!!!!!!!!! I just want to be normal, whatever that is. I'm not sure anymore. Has anyone had a problem with wanting sweets? I have never been a sweet eater, but now I crave them all the time.

Nan
Regular Contributor

Postby Nan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:26 pm

sltinucci,
I don’t remember what normal is anymore either, but I can’t wait to find out!
Yes, those ages of grandkids are exhausting! And with a pool it must make it even more intense. (My grandkids are also young: 8 mos, 1 year, 3 years, and 5 years old with another on the way in the fall. I have had sleepovers with the older ones (as long as 4 nights) and I am get exhausted too. But, they are here for an afternoon and I’m exhausted, but I’m not sure if that is Cdiff or my age. :) Three of my grandkids live closer and I see them often while the other (soon to others) I only see a few times/year for a day or two.) I know you must feel bad about not having them with you. I figure as long as I’m not relapsing, and practicing excellent personal hygiene, hopefully it is OK. With a pool, I would make sure that the chlorine levels are adequate as an additional precaution. What I think about is them remembering Grandma as the one who was always sick, always taking pills, etc. I’m not crazy about that idea. The oldest recently asked me when he gets really old, like I am, will he have to take all those pills that I take (Vanco, with probiotics spaced apart). That gave me a wake up call to stop taking my pills in front of them.

Is there any way you could visit them, or have one of the parents visit along with the kids letting the parents take some of the burden off of you? An expensive option: hiring a babysitter while they are there to help you out. The grandparent/grandchild relationship is an important one and I hate to see you missing out.

Good luck with you sample. I don’t crave sweets any more then I used to although I can’t seem to get enough gum, and I was never a gum chewer. Just a co-incidence, I’m sure.

sltinucci
New User

Postby sltinucci » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:12 am

Nan,

Hope you had a great weekend. Yes I do go to visit my grandkids. We have a cabin up north, so we try to go once a month. But I've had this relapse since December and when we travel it's really hard for me. The pain seems to insensify and we have to stop a lot. We go as far as Yosemite and get a hotel for the night and take the kids to dinner and have breakfast with them or go to their place for a visit.

I'm really feeling much better the last couple of days. Still get tired if I do too much, but am not going to the bathroom all the time. I don't go back to the docs until Mid May and I called them 3 times on Friday to see about pain meds and results of my sample to see if Cdiff is still positive. I know it's there, but when on the Vanco usually it shows a negative.

Thanks again for all the support and info.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”