Feeling abandoned

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Jodie
Regular Contributor

Feeling abandoned

Postby Jodie » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:43 pm

Called my GI today (who I thought was the best in world) for a refill of Vanco and he told me there was nothing else he could do for me! He said he has never had a patient suffer this long from c-diff He told me to get with an infectious disease doctor. Well I am in New Orleans and since Hurricane Katrina there are a shortage of doctors and it takes months to get in! What am I to do? How could he do this? Wouldn't refill the Vanco b/c he was not comfortable with me being on it for so long....Oh my, I am currently feeling devastated and confused.....

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:34 am

Jodie,
Your GI doc is obviously uninformed about recurrent cdiff. That is lousy. My GI doc also abandoned me, after 3 relapses (I just posted some more info about this to Mary IL under "white blood count" in the Discussion section). You have my sympathy. As you know from this site, many of us have been on vanco for months or even years. I found an ID doc, and I recommend that to you. Are you relapsing? If so, go to the ER (they can give you vanco) or call an ID doc and say it is an emergency and you need to be seen right away. If you're not relapsing, call an ID doc and say you need to be seen ASAP. Good luck.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:08 am

Jodie- Depending on the severity of your case of cdiff I would definitely go ahead contact an infectious disease doc. I know you are all bummed out about what your doctor has done but it is best to find out what kind of doctor he is now AND MOVE ON. I would contact infectious disease doctor NOW and let them know you have recurring cdiff and need to be seen immediately---------and tell them why! I would insist on getting in quickly and they can do it if they want to. Do NOT wait until you relapse to make the move DO IT NOW! I have been on some dosage of vanco for more than 5 years and your X doctor is an idiot!
Cindy

Jodie
Regular Contributor

Postby Jodie » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Thanks guys!! I did exactly what you said and told the nurse I have recurring c-diff with only a few Vanco pills left and I had already relapsed on the 1 pill 125x4 per day and had to start the 2 pills 125x4 per day and wasn't sure how well this is working. Well she kept looking thru her book and said "By the Grace of God we can fit you in Thursday at 2:45, this never happens, usually its weeks to months!" So glad to have you guys to push me thru!! One thing I am ticked off about is I''ve only been on the Vanco since last Sunday!! That"s only 10 days and the stupid GI wouldn't give me any refills??? What a louse!! HE OBVIOUSLY KNOWS NOTHING AND YOU ARE RIGHT, GLAD I FOUND OUT NOW!!!!!

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:13 pm

Jodie- You are welcome. I hope to save anyone from experiencing all that I have gone through during my battle the last 5 years. One thing you have to learn QUICKLY is to be assertive in your treatment and realize that you know your body better than the doctors do and make them listen to you.
Cindy

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”